PDA

View Full Version : Okay all you Powermatic 3520A and B owners

Ernie Nyvall
12-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I would appreciate some help.

1. Is the B version worth the extra money?
2. Are there any shortcomings... things you were disappointed about or would like to have changed in the model.
3. Is there a different mfg. in the same price range you'd rather have?
4.Had you have rather spent more on more power?
5. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
12-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Ernie, check out some of the responses to Kent's questions a while back.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26226
1. From what I've read of the "B" model, I don't think I'm missing out on anything with my "A".
2. I haven't found any.
3. Lots have people have said the PM3520 is the best bang for the buck, I have to agree.
4. 2HP has been plenty for anything I've done with it.
5. Only one, you'll LOVE it!:D Make the call!:cool:

Cecil Arnold
12-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Ernie, IMHO here goes:

1. NO
2. I thought at first that I would have liked to have the readout where I could see it to have an idea of the speed, but now set it by ear. I would like to have the stop ring (not the name but what I call it) even though I currently don't do anything that requires it.
3. I might look at a Stubby, but I'm not sure if the price is close enough in a comp. power true VS. Jim Becker may be able to answer that.
4. I can't imagine needing more power than the 3520 has. If you wanted to outboard turn something 48", then maybe.
5. If you're really considering moving up be sure to look at Souther Tool (I think that's the name, Dennis Peacock can give it to you) I saved about $260 on the price, plus the $250 in local sales tax I would have paid had I bought locally--thats not a s&d but directly from PM. If you think you would like to give one a try (3520a) PM me over the holidays and you can drive to Clear Lake and give mine a try.

Chris Barton
12-14-2005, 7:17 AM
Hi Ernie,

I have the "A" model and have seen the "B" in person and would say that if there isn't a huge difference in price, I would go with the "B" version. To me, the most important improvement they made was on the banjo, by offsetting the tool rest. I turn plenty of bowls and some do have a problem clearing the tool rest. I would say that if the "B" model is more than $500 difference then, go with the "A".

Tom Morton
12-14-2005, 9:26 AM
I agree with Cecil and Chris although the cost of the "new" offset banjo when you order the lathe is not restrictive. It does appear that southern-tool.com does not have any of the A models left. Amazon may have one. A super lathe and the most lathe for the money on the planet IMHO.

Dave Wimmer
12-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I purchased an A model about the time the B model came out.
I saw nothing that warrented the extra money. Mine does have the B model legs that allow the 18 in. bed extension to be mounted about
9 in. below the normal bed. It comes with a tool rest extension and allows turning a 38 in bowl using your regular tool rests. I see nothing else worth any extra cost. By the way, I got mine from "The Tool Nut" for $100 less (with free shipping) than anyone else including Sourthern Tool.

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 10:22 AM
3. I might look at a Stubby, but I'm not sure if the price is close enough in a comp. power true VS. Jim Becker may be able to answer that.

There is a new Stubby (http://www.stubbylatheusa.com./cgi-bin/index.py) model (F600) that will be in the High $3K range with 24" (inboard!) swing. It has a fixed bed, rather than the "it slices, it dices" sliding, swiveling bed that my S750 ($5K) has. It also will have bed extensions and outboard capablity. Same 2hp VS motor system as the more expensive machines. Bill doesn't seem to have info on the web site yet, but if you contact him, he can probably get you info if you are interested. This Stubby model kinda competes with the OneWay 1640 in price range, but with greater native capacity for bowls and vessels. The Vicmark 300 series is also in the mid-$3K range with similar capacities. These are all more expensive than the PM 3520B, but are also all made to order, relatively speaking.

The VS system on the Stubby is like any other high-end lathe, including the PM3520 A/B....VFD controled 3ph motor with 240v A/C 1ph input. Continuously variable from zero on up, with two or more ranges that are belt position selectable. Smooooooooooottttttttthhhhhhhhh..........

Ernie Nyvall
12-14-2005, 8:28 PM
Wow, what a great place and a great bunch of people. I've been here a little over a year now and you people have answered many questions for me. Do you know how many magazines I'd have to purchase over what kind of time period to get the information I just received, and along with an offer to test drive a lathe. Not only that, but I got information like I asked for on an alternative lathe without the other ones being bashed.

I guess now and then it just takes me aback.

Thanks everyone

Ernie

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 8:31 PM
Of coures...it's easy for us, Ernie. We're spending YOUR money!! :)

Bill Grumbine
12-14-2005, 9:15 PM
Hi Ernie

I have used this lathe twice now, and maybe I am missing something about how to use the banjo, but I did not like it at all. The offest causes a huge problem when using the tailstock for support and the piece being turned is big enough to get in the way of the banjo sliding underneath of it. I was turning an 18" bowl on it last weekend and I had to fiddle with all sorts of adjustments to get the tailstock into where I could use it for support. Even then, the ram was telescoped to just about its maximum reach.

Understand, I am not badmouthing the lathe, I just think that the new banjo is not all is could be. But then again, it ain't blue either. ;)

Bill

Ernie Nyvall
12-14-2005, 9:42 PM
Understand, I am not badmouthing the lathe.........

Bill
And I didn't read it that way. It's just the kind information I was looking for. In my earlier post I was thinking of times on different forums where I've seen people just trash a different opinion.

Thanks

Ernie

Doug Jones
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
I've been watching the 3520 A and B prices now for about a month or so. Amazon did have the lowest price on the A model as of yesterday. Today they raised the price by almost $200 Was $2299, now its $2479. I'd go with the "Tool Nut" guy. His prices are very comptitive and free shipping.

Earl Eyre
12-15-2005, 1:02 AM
The only short coming in the A I have noticed in no locking spindle. But somebody suggested removing the bottom screw to the safety piece around the lock so you can just push in the buttom and swing the piece over the button to hold it in. Simple one hand operation.

Haven't seen the B so can't compare.

Can't imagine needing more power. More hp is only an option on the Oneway or Stubby's. 2 hp is standard.

Can't imagine anyone needing more lathe unless they have unlimited $'s or maybe are pro's turning out huge pieces one after another.

Earl

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2005, 1:19 AM
Earl - As I understand it, the A & B have the same locking spindle, but as designed it requires your hand to remain on the lever to keep it engaged. There is a work around possible by drilling a hole in the lever.

Another thing that's important to some and less so to others is that neither A nor B have an indexing ring.

Doug Jones
12-17-2005, 9:19 AM
Amazon just dropped the price back down to $2299. May be just the bargin your looking for.

Whats the differance between the 3ph and the 1ph?

Jim Becker
12-17-2005, 2:59 PM
Whats the differance between the 3ph and the 1ph?
3 phase requires 3 phase power source...not likely available in a home-shop environment without spending a lot of extra money.

Doug Jones
12-17-2005, 5:00 PM
3 phase requires 3 phase power source...not likely available in a home-shop environment without spending a lot of extra money.
So a 1ph, 2hp, wired 220 is probably what I would be looking at if I was to start looking?

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 5:03 PM
Well, the Powermatic 3520A is on it's way. Should be here next week sometime.:D :D :D :D :D
Thanks to all for your help. I found it for $1500 at IMPulLinGyouRleG.com.

It really is on it's way though.

Ernie

Doug Jones
12-17-2005, 5:06 PM
Good deal Ernie, where did you end up ordering it from?

Andy Hoyt
12-17-2005, 5:16 PM
Heeeyyyy Abbboootttt!!!!!

Ernie just slipped over the edge.

Way to go!

Bill Stevener
12-17-2005, 5:30 PM
Bigger, And better things are to come!!!!!!:D

Yea, and a whole lot more chips ------:eek:

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 5:37 PM
Heeeyyyy Abbboootttt!!!!!

Ernie just slipped over the edge.

Way to go!

My family thinks that happened when I was three, so I guess I'm making progress.

I got it from Amazon Doug.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
12-17-2005, 6:15 PM
Way to go Ernie! You're gonna love it.:cool:

Ernie Nyvall
12-17-2005, 6:28 PM
So a 1ph, 2hp, wired 220 is probably what I would be looking at if I was to start looking?
Doug, yes. If you noticed, this Powermatic is set up to run 1ph or 3ph.

Ernie

John Shuk
12-17-2005, 7:33 PM
If you are thinking of buying it from the Tool Nut who has a brick and mortar store here in NY you can buy ith confidence. I shop there alot and have friends who work there. They are great. They actually sell alot of the Powrmatics around the country. If you ever get a chance to get there they have almost everything!