PDA

View Full Version : Festool Track Saw...Value?

Lisa Starr
08-07-2019, 10:47 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a TS55-REQ-F-Plus-USA with 4 extra blades, 1 additional 55" track and the accessory kit. It was purchased and never used except for the initial test cuts he made. I've looked up the value of the various components, but am wondering what type of discount is customary for "used" with Festool brand. Can you give me any guidance?
TIA

Mark Hockenberg
08-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Hi Lisa,

The saw kit you're looking at is $690 new. In my experience, Festool products at that price point tend to command no less than $100 below new if they are in good shape. If this saw was really only used for a few test cuts, it should be in perfect shape and I would plan to pay at least $600 for it.

Blades are more difficult to sell. So you could offer 25% off of new for them if they are unused.

The TS 55 is a great saw and was a game changer in my shop. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Mark

Mike Henderson
08-07-2019, 11:42 AM
What something is worth is always a negotiation. I'd figure out what the max I'd be willing to pay and then start below that. Point out that new cars suffer significant depreciation as soon as they're driven off the lot.

You could go on eBay and look at what those used items sold for at auction (not at "buy it now"). A national auction is about the best indicator of what something is worth.

As Mark said, a track saw can be a useful tool. I have the TS-55 and, although I don't use it that much, when I need it it's a valuable tool.

Mike

Randy Heinemann
08-07-2019, 12:56 PM
One thing that would probably add to its value is whether the saw is still under its 3-year warranty since that warranty is on the saw regardless of owner. If the seller indicates the saw is still under warranty, how much of the warranty is left and can he demonstrate the purchase date?

Otherwise Festool tools sell for a very high percentage of the original cost if they are in like-new condition. It is a great saw. I have owned mine for at least 5 years and use it in conjunction with the Festool MFT table. Even if you only use it with the included rail, the dust collection and accuracy of the tool is great.

So, I guess, bottom line is that the final amount you pay depends on condition, whether the warranty is still in effect, and what condition the saw blades are in. New saw blades range in price from $55 - $95 depending on how many teeth they have. Good, like new, saw blades could be worth another $200 plus depending on actual condition. In the end, it depends on what you feel you should pay for a used saw regardless of condition. Sometimes it just makes sense to buy new if the cost isn't that much more. Then you have a new saw with the full 3-year warranty.

Lisa Starr
08-07-2019, 1:48 PM
Thanks much. The seller is away for work, so I won't get to see it until next week. His wife accepted a deposit from me to hold it until he can show it. I'll let you folks know the outcome.

Matt Day
08-07-2019, 3:34 PM
Honestly, if it were me and it’s only 15% less than brand spanking new, I would just cough up the extra few dollars and buy brand new and have a warranty and everything. You can also get 10% off a dust extractor when you buy a tool.

johnny means
08-07-2019, 5:40 PM
Honestly, if it were me and it’s only 15% less than brand spanking new, I would just cough up the extra few dollars and buy brand new and have a warranty and everything. You can also get 10% off a dust extractor when you buy a tool.

What he said. I'd be willing to pay 2/3 of new for excellent condition, but at a point, the savings get to be trivial. The option to change your mind and just return it, imo, has some value.

Mike Cutler
08-07-2019, 7:05 PM
2/3rd's of the new price for all of the items is a good starting point to me. Festool is nice stuff, it really is, but now that Makita and DeWalt are in the same game, folks have options as far as track saws go.
I have the Festool TS75, and other Festool tools. I am very familiar with their "system".

ed vitanovec
08-07-2019, 8:42 PM
I fought a used TS75 along with extra track, Angle unit FS-KS and the MFT3 table for $800. It was worth the price and Festool is a quality tool.
There are several brands of track saws to choose from now a days, a newbie is the Kreg track saw and table. I have demo this brand and works really well, the table system is excellant. You should give other brands a look too.

Randy Heinemann
08-07-2019, 10:10 PM
The thing is. everyone has their magic price. For some it's worth it if the tool is in mint condition and they pay anything less than new. For them, it's money saved out of their own pocket. For others, and I'm one of those, I rarely buy a used tool. I like the newness of a tool and, unless the price is substantially less than new, it just doesn't seem worth it. But that's me.

Festool owners almost always take great care of their tools and there seem to be a number of Festool owners who bought a tool and just never used it.

Darcy Warner
08-08-2019, 6:24 AM
I beat the crap out of my festool stuff.

Randy Heinemann
08-08-2019, 8:42 AM
I said "almost always" . There are always exceptions. That's why buyers of used tools must always beware.

Rob Charles
08-08-2019, 1:40 PM
I purchased a used Festool TF55 saw, tracks & associated equipment earlier this year at an estate liquidation at an attractive price. I was not in the market for anything Festool or for a track saw. But... the price was a no -brainer. I find that I really do like the saw & system and use it much more than I thought I would & find that I now rely on the saw and system. I am happy to see Darcy's comment above that he "beats the crap out" of his Festool stuff as the saw "feels" a bit fragile to me when compared to my other saws & equipment that I am familiar with. Perhaps it is simply that I am not used to that much plastic on a tool. With that said & liking the saw, it something happened to it, I would be hard pressed to replace it at the retail cost. A properly priced good/very good condition used saw I would definitely buy.

Matthew Hills
08-08-2019, 3:56 PM
The track saws do feel fragile; and the motor sound (at least on the original) isn’t particularly confidence-inspiring. But I recall reading early articles about the testing festool does during development - getting sand into the tools one test I recall.

Anyways, my festoon gear has mostly held up well. (The adhesive on the track splinter guards has come off if I don’t clamp it between uses; and the shop vac plastic has broken in a few places where the sustainers are meant to mount

Matt

Mike Goetzke
08-08-2019, 4:16 PM
I know this isn't responding to your question but for the 6.5" (165mm) bladed saw I would consider a cordless. I purchased a new Makita system with saw/dual charger/rail/4-batteries for $500. I think a similar deal is going on right now. I love cordless. I bought a Mafell dust bag for it and I have no chains.

I did buy a TS75 corded saw a little while back for the heftier cuts but use the Makita 95% of the time. Got a great deal on the TS75 with a 75" rail through Festool recon. The tools were never used and I paid just under $520!

Mike

Mike Cutler
08-08-2019, 8:09 PM
I purchased a used Festool TF55 saw, tracks & associated equipment earlier this year at an estate liquidation at an attractive price. I was not in the market for anything Festool or for a track saw. But... the price was a no -brainer. I find that I really do like the saw & system and use it much more than I thought I would & find that I now rely on the saw and system. I am happy to see Darcy's comment above that he "beats the crap out" of his Festool stuff as the saw "feels" a bit fragile to me when compared to my other saws & equipment that I am familiar with. Perhaps it is simply that I am not used to that much plastic on a tool. With that said & liking the saw, it something happened to it, I would be hard pressed to replace it at the retail cost. A properly priced good/very good condition used saw I would definitely buy.

I won't say that I "beat the crap" out of my Festool tools, but then I do try not to beat on any tools.
I have been using my TS 75 to repair my roof and front porch this past few weeks. Lot's of "rough" cutting up on the roof and on sawhorses in the front yard.
A tip; If you turn it upside down to cut through true 2x10's, the dust collection doesn't work very well. Wear a mask and face shield. ;)

Darcy Warner
08-08-2019, 9:05 PM
I said "almost always" . There are always exceptions. That's why buyers of used tools must always beware.

They are tools. They use to get drug all over from job to job, left out in the weather, drug on a roof, cut drywall with my TS 55. My oldest one is probably pushing 13 years now at least. Only had one actually fail and it was back to me in a few days.

Darcy Warner
08-08-2019, 9:08 PM
The track saws do feel fragile; and the motor sound (at least on the original) isn’t particularly confidence-inspiring. But I recall reading early articles about the testing festool does during development - getting sand into the tools one test I recall.

Anyways, my festoon gear has mostly held up well. (The adhesive on the track splinter guards has come off if I don’t clamp it between uses; and the shop vac plastic has broken in a few places where the sustainers are meant to mount

Matt

They blasted the tools in a chamber with Arizona sand.
The noise is because their saws are gear driven and the electronics constantly pulse a signal to maintain constant blade speed no matter how slow or hard you go.

My only real failures have ben a ras115 I abused the snot out of and a couple 12 year old batteries

Rob Charles
08-08-2019, 9:10 PM
I won't say that I "beat the crap" out of my Festool tools, but then I do try not to beat on any tools.
I have been using my TS 75 to repair my roof and front porch this past few weeks. Lot's of "rough" cutting up on the roof and on sawhorses in the front yard.
A tip; If you turn it upside down to cut through true 2x10's, the dust collection doesn't work very well. Wear a mask and face shield. ;)

Understood, I just put my TS55 & trak away after finishing up a subfloor R&R. Previously, I would have done it with my circular saw. But, since I had it, I used the Festool saw & system. Nicest darm sub-floor I ever installed largely, due to the straight cuts. While it was easy to use, I still am not used to its' sound. At one point, it got knocked to the floor, bounced & was fine. That gave me more confidence in its' durability. I am glad it was not the roof test. I believe your comment on the overhead cuts as it throws out some fine wood dust.

Mike Cutler
08-09-2019, 6:45 AM
Rob
The sound of it coming up to speed is a bit unnerving at first, but you should hear an OF2200 wind up. If it was any other router, you would turn it off.
My house is barn board and batten exterior, and was built in 1919, then redone in 1978, and everything is in true rough cut sizes. I can't go to Home Depot and buy material, it won't fit. To do repairs I have to have the wood milled. Even then I still have to rip everything to size, as a 2x10 in 1919 may have measured any where from 9-1/2" to 10-1/2", or whatever the saw was set for that day. Same with the 2x4's, 2x6's and 2x8's.
It was nice being able to rip all of that 2x material right where it was going to be installed. Still tedious, but the TS75 and track made it easier.
As I stated earlier, I don't try to beat on tools, but I do expect them to work and not have to be handled with kid gloves.

Lisa Starr
08-12-2019, 8:38 PM
:):)As promised -- an update. I bought it all and some more. The man was selling stuff from his father's home and just wanted stuff gone. As advertised, the track saw and related accessories were pristine. Additionally, he threw in several Woodpecker items (16x26" square, Saddle T square, mini-square, saw gauge). I didn't even dream of negotiating and just handed over my $475.00! He tried to interest me in several pieces of stationary equipment, but I declined.

Matt Day
08-12-2019, 9:34 PM
Nicely done Lisa. I’ve never had Woodpeckers items “thrown in” on a deal before!

Greg R Bradley
08-12-2019, 11:22 PM
A willing seller finds a willing buyer and they both end up happy. What a wonderful outcome.

Somewhere else some cheapskate seller is trying to screw over some cheapskate buyer so that the good sellers and good buyers don't have to deal with them.

Mike Cutler
08-13-2019, 12:35 PM
:):)As promised -- an update. I bought it all and some more. The man was selling stuff from his father's home and just wanted stuff gone. As advertised, the track saw and related accessories were pristine. Additionally, he threw in several Woodpecker items (16x26" square, Saddle T square, mini-square, saw gauge). I didn't even dream of negotiating and just handed over my $475.00! He tried to interest me in several pieces of stationary equipment, but I declined.

Well Done!!!!

I'm not sure if you got Woodpeckers tools thrown in with the saw, or the saw thrown in with the Woodpeckers tools. Either way, Sweet deal!! :cool:

Rich Engelhardt
08-14-2019, 7:10 AM
As the owner of both - a Festool TS55EQ and a few Woodpeckers items (router table plate & inserts & a Paolini ruler) I congratulate you on your acquisitions! All should provide you hours of pleasure using.