PDA

View Full Version : Light/Lamp

Roger Domina
08-06-2019, 7:08 PM
Am looking at lights/lamps to use with my full size lathe. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Robert Marshall
08-07-2019, 12:02 AM
Woodturnerswonders.com (Ken Rizza) has several lamps which combine bright LED lights and magnet-switches (the magnet used to secure lamp to lathe is "switchable," off when you need to move it, on when you have it in the right place.) Good bendable goose-neck, to put the light where it's needed. Fair price, good service. I have had a "Beacon" model for several years.

John K Jordan
08-07-2019, 7:26 AM
Woodturnerswonders.com (Ken Rizza) has several lamps which combine bright LED lights and magnet-switches (the magnet used to secure lamp to lathe is "switchable," off when you need to move it, on when you have it in the right place.) Good bendable goose-neck, to put the light where it's needed. Fair price, good service. I have had a "Beacon" model for several years.

I agree - I use a bunch of his lights. My favorite is the Supernova, I keep one at each lathe, sharpening station, bandsaw, drill press, milling machine, for photography, and a spare to carry to demos. Very bright, even light, great color temperature.

JKJ

Roger Domina
08-07-2019, 9:37 AM
Great feedback guys; was looking at these. You confirmed it for me. Thanks

William C Rogers
08-07-2019, 9:59 AM
I agree - I use a bunch of his lights. My favorite is the Supernova, I keep one at each lathe, sharpening station, bandsaw, drill press, milling machine, for photography, and a spare to carry to demos. Very bright, even light, great color temperature.

JKJ

John

Just wondering if you get the club discount?

Paul F Franklin
08-07-2019, 11:08 AM
I have a couple of the 9watt magnetic machine lights from the big A, and am happy with them, if you are looking for a lower cost option. Rather similar in appearance....

tom lucas
08-07-2019, 4:36 PM

JKJ

second the supernova. I only have one, but more are on my wish list when I can afford them.

Mike Goetzke
08-07-2019, 5:18 PM
I too have a supernova and really like it but at times depending what I'm doing it can actually be too bright and I use a shop modified Ikea LED desk lamp. So you probably need more than one light.

Darryl Hansen
08-07-2019, 7:51 PM
check out the sewing machine lights on Amazon. Inexpensive and light is great. Get the longer one

Roger Domina
08-08-2019, 8:02 AM
All great input and each light recommended is great in the right application. Thanks for the responses.

John K Jordan
08-08-2019, 9:26 AM
John
Just wondering if you get the club discount?

Rizza has occasionally put them on sale and that's when I buy.

JKJ

John K Jordan
08-08-2019, 9:50 AM
All great input and each light recommended is great in the right application. Thanks for the responses.

I have a handful of various sewing machine type lights, several from Amazon and several from Rizza. One thing to keep in mind is the light output.

In this photo I aimed two lights at the wall behind my sharping station. At the far left is one of Rizza's Supernova lights. Towards the right is one of the brighter sewing machine type lights, sticking straight up just in front of the electrical outlet. You can see the brightness difference.

In my experience the length of the light and the number of LEDs does not correspond directly to the brightness. For example, I have one of Rizza's earlier Galaxy lamps (sewing machine type) and one of his newer Galaxys with more LEDs. My light meter shows the earlier one, shorter and with fewer LEDs, is actually brighter than the longer one.

Note that the sewing machine lights do spread the light more, making the output at one point look even dimmer than the lumen value (the total output of a lighting element). The light from the Supernova is more focused with less spread. John Lucas made a slip-on diffuser for his Supernova to spread the light a little more. I use multiple lamps at the lathe so I like the undiffused light better there.

Another thing to keep in mind is with lamps the color temperature of the LEDs. For example, the light from Rizza's Supernova is perfect in my opinion - I use one for highlights when I shoot photos and the color temperature is not detectably different from that of my two photo bulbs. However, at a symposium my quick side comparison of the Supernova with his newer Quasar ("Our best lamp ever") shows a distinct color difference - the light from the Quasar had a distinct yellowish cast on a piece of white paper. If the color doesn't bother you, the Quasar does have on advantages - the switch. The switch on the Supernova is on the side and it's easy to accidentally turn it off while grabbing the lamp to reposition it. The switch on the Quasar is on the end and unlikely to be touched accidentally. Fortunately, accidentally turning off the Supernova is no more than an insignificant irritation.

JKJ

William C Rogers
08-08-2019, 10:45 AM
I have a handful of various sewing machine type lights, several from Amazon and several from Rizza. One thing to keep in mind is the light output.

In this photo I aimed two lights at the wall behind my sharping station. At the far left is one of Rizza's Supernova lights. Towards the right is one of the brighter sewing machine type lights, sticking straight up just in front of the electrical outlet. You can see the brightness difference.

In my experience the length of the light and the number of LEDs does not correspond directly to the brightness. For example, I have one of Rizza's earlier Galaxy lamps (sewing machine type) and one of his newer Galaxys with more LEDs. My light meter shows the earlier one, shorter and with fewer LEDs, is actually brighter than the longer one.

Note that the sewing machine lights do spread the light more, making the output at one point look even dimmer than the lumen value (the total output of a lighting element). The light from the Supernova is more focused with less spread. John Lucas made a slip-on diffuser for his Supernova to spread the light a little more. I use multiple lamps at the lathe so I like the undiffused light better there.

Another thing to keep in mind is with lamps the color temperature of the LEDs. For example, the light from Rizza's Supernova is perfect in my opinion - I use one for highlights when I shoot photos and the color temperature is not detectably different from that of my two photo bulbs. However, at a symposium my quick side comparison of the Supernova with his newer Quasar ("Our best lamp ever") shows a distinct color difference - the light from the Quasar had a distinct yellowish cast on a piece of white paper. If the color doesn't bother you, the Quasar does have on advantages - the switch. The switch on the Supernova is on the side and it's easy to accidentally turn it off while grabbing the lamp to reposition it. The switch on the Quasar is on the end and unlikely to be touched accidentally. Fortunately, accidentally turning off the Supernova is no more than an insignificant irritation.

JKJ

John, great “show and tell” as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

John K Jordan
08-08-2019, 10:03 PM
... as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

A friend once turned that around and declared a word was then worth a mili-picture.

Dave Fritz
08-09-2019, 8:23 AM
I love the light from Ken however sometimes the magnet slips when I move the light. I have to steady the magnet and then move the light. Anyone else have this issue? I should add the magnet is attached to a Robust lathe which is powder coated. Would that make a difference?

William C Rogers
08-09-2019, 10:05 AM
I love the light from Ken however sometimes the magnet slips when I move the light. I have to steady the magnet and then move the light. Anyone else have this issue? I should add the magnet is attached to a Robust lathe which is powder coated. Would that make a difference?

Dave, I don’t have Ken’s light but I have noticed the same thing about the magnet slipping. I had a Laguna and magnet attached firmly. I was going to make an arm for the light, but had a problem with my Hope System hollowing rig and Simon graciously sent me a whole new arm, so used the old one for my lamp. Much better than mounting to the lathe. I just fit. I need to epoxy a piece of threaded rod into the hole on the Robust boss for added security.

John K Jordan
08-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Do you have an early version of the Super Nova lamp? The first one I got had a smaller magnet. I've had no slippage from the later, much more powerful magnets regardless if stuck to paint or powder coating.

One thing I did on two lathes is remove the lamp from bulky magnet and fasten it to a hole I drilled and tapped into the lathe. On my PM3520b I fastened it to the bracket behind the lathe intended to hold a copy piece.

This is quite secure. I use several lamps at the lathe so I have no need to move this one.

JKJ

William C Rogers
08-09-2019, 2:27 PM
John, I think it has more to do with the finish than the magnet. I did notice a difference when I got the Robust vs Laguna as far as magnet holding.

Pat Scott
08-10-2019, 9:11 AM
My magnet slips also so I use a clamp to keep it in place.

Keith Buxton
08-11-2019, 12:58 AM
here is a very inexpensive light that I use on my lathe cost is lest then $25.00 all you need are these two items the lamp comes with a cast steel base that you discard and mount it to the magnet from home depot works great and is small enough to fit inside a vase and is bright
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00385941/
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-65-lb-Heavy-Duty-Round-Pull-Magnets-96354/203613136

Fred Belknap
08-18-2019, 6:01 PM
The best light I have is a Moffit.(sp) It uses regular light bulbs, I use LED in mine. It comes with different mounting options. I have several lights but the Moffit is the best by a long shot. Don't remember where I got it but remember it was a little expensive.