PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy these accessories?

Dan Barber
02-19-2003, 6:45 PM
As some of the Ponders probably know, I've been guilty of building more than one tool accessory or another over the last couple of years.

Most recently I've completed the Mortise-Flex multi-axis horizontal router table/ mortiser.

The response to the offer of free drawings has been ... well a bit overwhelming.

So I've been thinking about starting a business that would concentrate on selling plans, accessories, tools, hardware, maybe even kits for the woodworker who would like to build things for their shop.

I've got a bit of list of things I've either made or have plans to make and was wondering what your opinion on what their usefulness might be.

Mortise-Flex
Sliding Cut-Off Table
Panel Saw
Hollow Chisel Mortiser Sliding Vise
Router Table and Lift
Drum Sander - Single and Dual

What I'd envision doing is this:

I'd offer these items in the following configurations:
[list=1]
Plans only
Plans, the hard to find commercial components, required hardware items
Plans, commercial items, hardware, CNC cut wooden components
The complete tool or accessory
[/list=1]

I'd like to hear your input on this to aid me in making this decision. Please use the included Poll to add your answer

Thanks,

Dan Barber

Jerry Todd
02-19-2003, 6:52 PM
Dan, I sure would like to see a picture of your Panel Saw.
Thanks,
Jerry

Ron Jones near Indy
02-19-2003, 7:28 PM
I'll bet that product liability insurance would be out of sight on a new woodworking machine. Wouldn't consider doing much of this type of for profit thing without it.:( Not trying to rain on your parade; it was just a thought. Good luck!

Dan Barber
02-19-2003, 7:38 PM
Ron,

I'm with you on the liabilty insurance, in fact I have a real concern about how that would apply to kits or even plans.

Does anyone here have any free professional advice on this subject? I know others out there who must have done something like this.

Thanks for the input Ron.

Dan

Jennifer@Indy.USA
02-19-2003, 7:43 PM
Dan,

Haul all of your goods up to the Pond-O-Rama party in April....and we'll all test drive them and let you know what we think :D

Jen

Phil Phelps
02-19-2003, 8:18 PM
..you have many things to offer. I see possibilities here. BTW. I've had that quote on my wall for some time now. Aint you glad you can post with no fear. There are some attorneys here. What say you? :rolleyes:

Chris Teenor
02-20-2003, 12:41 AM
Dan,

I would certainly like to purchase plans for a panel saw. Plans only might not generate much litigation. Hope you can succeed.

Ted Shrader
02-20-2003, 8:40 AM
Dan -

I would opt for plans only. Put a good disclaimer on the plans.

People who will be interested can build them. They are building other things anyway. Besides, when was the last time <i>you</i> built something <b>excatly</b> as it was drawn from someone else's plan?

Ted

Bartee Lamar
02-20-2003, 9:04 AM
You might want to team up with someone like BenchDog or TTrackusa.com Both of these people are doing light manufacturing and have already solved the risk problems.

The idea of you doing CNC production of the wood parts came ot my mind after attending the big wood show in Atlanta. There is probably alot of open production time on these $50,000 to $100,000 machines. So by the hour it might work.

Be careful small business takes an extreme amount of your time and has small sucess rates. It can be a good way to ruin a good hobby. DAMHIKT

Best of luck....

Note www.ptreeusa.com/ (http://www.ptreeusa.com/) and www.ttrackusa.com (http://www.ttrackusa.com) are the same company. I have visitied with Dave Hughes the owner. A very nice,young guy, with a lot of energy. He is manufacturing the track and table stuff ( Plus some other things) and does a very nice job of it. AND if you live in the Atlanta Area Peachtree Woodworking Supply has a showroom (http://www.ptreeusa.com/about_us.htm) that has got great prices on the stuff the take to all the WW shows.

Patrick Smith
02-20-2003, 9:08 AM
Hi Dan,

I think all three of the plan and kit options make a lot of sense. You will hit all of the DIY skill levels offering those. Offering complete machines... well, that's a totally different market and mentality of buyer. IMO I would focus on one or the other, the DIY'er or the tool buyer, unless you have a lot of help. I hope you succeed!

Regards,
Patrick

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2003, 9:32 AM
Yup....I'm interested.......All the plans I have gotten so far have all had a disclaimer with them...........You should also put a disclaimer in with the kits.

Why does liability have to be such a pain anyway? That is all that is keeping me from working on setting up a public woodworking business that would be commercial and the other half would be open to the public.....kinda like the hobby shop on all military installations. Well....at least that is my dream......

Dennis - :D

Dave Anderson NH
02-20-2003, 9:52 AM
on this type of thing, but I agree with the observation that turning a hobby into a business is a good way to kill a hobby. This is true mostly if you do it part time because you end up with no time left to pursue the hobby. I went thru this a number of years ago by running a sea kayak import and touring business with a friend. After 5 years we closed our doors even though we were profitable. Doing it part time in addition to our other jobs burned us out and completely eliminated any free time.

Another question which always intrigues me (I don't know the answer) is how many of the folks who say they are interested in buying something actually end up buying it? This is important since you will have to decide if the effort is worth the potential reward. Legal questions I'll leave to someone with more knowledge than I have. It would seem to me that a reasonalbe compromise would be to sell the plans only and offer with it a listing of sources of supply for the more difficult to procure items.

As always, it's just my opinion.

Dan Barber
02-20-2003, 10:19 AM
You guys have no sense of adventure:D

I know all about that side of things - about 12 years ago I had my own cabinet making business that I ran in addition to my full time job. I employed up to 4 people full time while I did my day job and then worked in the cabinet shop until I dropped. Did this for almost three years before I decided enough was enough. Oh yeah, I took 4 months off to build a couple of log homes during that time as well.

It took me 7 years to get back into woodworking as a hobby. I won't do anything to destroy that interest again.

I appreciate everyone’s input; I'll take all factors into consideration before I make any moves. I just was looking for a bit of a barometer on folk’s interest.

Thanks,

Ken Salisbury
02-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Dan,
I would opt for plans only with a disclaimer. By the way how is Joy? Is she trying to increase her pen inventory. Haven't seen much from her lately.

Howard Rosenberg
02-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Two things to consider.

1 - Right now you don't know what your intended market wants, so OFFER THEM ALL YOUR OPTIONS.A survey among us is a great place to start but it's not going to tell you all you need to know.
Track ALL of your results rigorously - type of items ordered and their respective quantities.
After six months, kick out the least profitable products and configurations.

1a- Personal Opinion: Plans-only strikes me as the most profitable on a per-unit basis. You make the plans once, load them into Adobe, set up the infrastucture to take and process orders, send an unlock/download code via e-mail. No hands-on post-sale work other than answering specific questions - via e-mail.
Eventually, you can create an extensive FAQ-sheet based on the most "frequently-asked-questions" you've received.

2 - Liability? Call a good lawyer. One that SPECIALIZES only in product liability.
The money you'll spend up-front is an investment in your long-term health. Don't just copy someone else's - yours has to be current, reflect the industry and product(s) and'll probably require periodic updates. It CAN be done.
You'll always be exposed to nuisance lawsuits (think of the goofballs NOT taking ANY personal responsibity for themselves and trying to sue McDonalds because they're obese) but if your "caveats" are rock-solid, DON'T let potential lawsuits deter you from what appears to be a very profitable part-time business.

Where would Bill Biesemeyer be today if he'd backed off just because of a fearful, mistrustful business climate?
Dan, if you've got this inside you, you owe it to yourself to do TONS of the right research and GO!

"help us find the courage to make our lives a blessing"

P.S. - If you'd like more insight on internet sales/promotion/copywriting, please feel free to e-mail me at howr@interlog.com .

All the best.

Kyri
02-20-2003, 2:00 PM
Dan,
I'm not sure how interested I am in plans simply because I have most of those items already. A while back I'm sure I would have been. I agree that most people are not adventurous enough to try something like this. I would get the advice of a good lawer and find out what insurance needs you require, but that is standard these days for any business really. I wish you the best of luck in this adventure.

Hovey

Rik Rickerson
02-20-2003, 3:22 PM
Dan,

I'm interested in seeing a picture of your Mortise-Flex multi-axis horizontal router table/ mortiser. I also agree that selling plans with a disclaimer would be the way to go.

Take care,
Rik