PDA

View Full Version : Found Wood

David Fried
12-13-2005, 10:22 PM
My Saturday morning routine includes a trip to the dump where I found this wood.
It's three and half inches thick. It appears someone bandsawed an 'S' shape and these are the off cuts. From the look I'm guessing Mahogany. Any ideas? Whatever it is, I see a couple of boxes hiding in there and perhaps a few pen blanks. ( Maybe it fell off that truck load of Mahogany going to Maine!). Thanks.

Dave Fried

Tyler Howell
12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I scored a milk crate full of black walnut cut offs like that after a neighbors garage sale. It was in the free pile of stuff they couldn't sell. Love that dumpster diving.;)
PS congrats on your gloat.

James Ayars
12-14-2005, 10:57 AM
I found two 25 drawer parts organizers and an old filing cabinet at the dump this past summer. The organizers were in excellent shape after dusting them off.

Using an angle grinder I got about 20 square feet of good sheet metal off the cabinet, plus a bunch of screws, handles, pieces of angle iron and some steel plate.

I never found a nice piece of wood like that one though.

As I get older I realize I'm turning more and more into my dad. He used to always bring something home from the dump.
James

John Hart
12-14-2005, 11:26 AM
( Maybe it fell off that truck load of Mahogany going to Maine!).

Mr. Hoyt will be so disappointed.:) But it sorta looks like walnut to me Dave. Can't really see the ingrain in the pic though. Either way...great score!!!

David Fried
12-14-2005, 7:39 PM
But it sorta looks like walnut to me Dave.

John,

I dunno. It looks similar to a piece of rough cut Mahogany my neighbor got to fix some wood on his boat but I won't rule out Walnut, of course it could be Shlamaca.:eek: I figure I'll look into it further when I get it cleaned up a bit. Thanks.

Dave Fried

John Hart
12-14-2005, 7:41 PM
John,

....of course it could be Shlamaca.:eek: ...

Uh oh...I don't think you should use it then. Very rare I hear. ;)

Phil Winn
12-14-2005, 9:21 PM
walnut...perhaps cut-offs from Gun-stock blanks?
Phil

David Fried
12-14-2005, 9:59 PM
walnut...perhaps cut-offs from Gun-stock blanks?
Phil

Phil,

Around here that is a real possibility. I'm not disappointed with Walnut. All I usually find at the dump are dimensional lumber scraps. The best I can hope for is old furniture with some real wood in it worth saving.

Dave