PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tire Repair

Edward Weingarden
08-05-2019, 9:22 AM
While prepping a green bowl blank on the bandsaw, the blade got stuck as the wheels were spinning. The result was the formation of a ridge in the bandsaw tires. The saw continues to run fine with the current blade but my concern is when I put a wider blade on, it won't sit correctly on the tires due to the ridge. Has anyone ever had this issue, and were you able to smooth/salvage the tires? Thanks.

lowell holmes
08-05-2019, 10:31 AM
If smoothing does not work, you can always replace. Try one and if it does not work, replace the tires.

Matt Day
08-05-2019, 12:15 PM
You can sand the tire down if rubber, not sure about urethane. Just make sure you keep it round without bumps. Google something like crowning bandsaw tires.

Bill Dufour
08-05-2019, 12:36 PM
angle grinder? I think sandpaper wood load up too fast.
Bill D.

Matt Day
08-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Sandpaper works fine on rubber. 80-100 grit.
I take it you’ve never crowned a bandsaw wheel.

Edward Weingarden
08-05-2019, 1:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Matt - I've never had this event occur before, so I haven't had occasion to crown a wheel.

Matt Day
08-05-2019, 1:35 PM
Edward, I was referring to Bill’s comment about sandpaper loading up. In fact it just makes a huge mess with black dust all over the place.

Randy Heinemann
08-05-2019, 3:34 PM
I think it would be risky to attempt to smooth out the tires. If it were me, I'd replace the damaged tires (after a day or two of frustration for having to replace them).

Edward Weingarden
08-05-2019, 7:33 PM
Edward, I was referring to Bill’s comment about sandpaper loading up. In fact it just makes a huge mess with black dust all over the place.

Got it Matt.

Bill Dufour
08-06-2019, 12:32 AM
Got it Matt.

No, I have never done much with abrading rubber. No offense taken. Learn something new everyday.
Now that I think more abut it they use rubber sticks to clean sandpaper belts.
Bill D.

Larry Frank
08-06-2019, 7:12 AM
I would replace the tires. The tires are damaged and are likely to get worse and throw and ruin a blade.

David Utterback
08-06-2019, 9:20 AM
Are both tires damaged? You can easily work the bottom one under power and I have learned after much experimentation to use a rasp. The top wheel, I mounted on a lathe to get a concentric surface. Sand paper did not last very long when I used it.

Erik Loza
08-06-2019, 10:11 AM
They resurface rubber pressure rollers on $40K widebelt sanders by running them over sandpaper. Pretty hard to mess up, just spin the wheels by hand so there isn't too much heat buildup. Good luck.

Erik

Edward Weingarden
08-06-2019, 6:53 PM
Are both tires damaged? You can easily work the bottom one under power and I have learned after much experimentation to use a rasp. The top wheel, I mounted on a lathe to get a concentric surface. Sand paper did not last very long when I used it.

David - both tires have a ridge. I'll give it go trying to smooth them, but I suspect I'll need to invest in a new pair.

Bill Space
08-06-2019, 8:31 PM
David - both tires have a ridge. I'll give it go trying to smooth them, but I suspect I'll need to invest in a new pair.

If the damage was done by the blade stopping/slowing while the bottom wheel was spinning at normal speed, the damage should appear only on the bottom wheel. Since both wheels are showing the same ridge, chances are the tires reached this point together due to age in service.

Remember, the blade turns the top wheel. If the blade slows so does the top wheel. So there should have been no slippage between the blade and the top wheel when that event happened.

Might be time to replace them soon, even if you are successful at dressing them to remove that ridge.

Tom Trees
08-07-2019, 5:43 AM
I wouldn't bother trying to sand them, I have had good luck scraping them with the side of a plane iron.
My bandsaw had loads of problems, and the tires were bad.
There's a post here on it
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?247302-Italian-24-quot-bandsaw-re-vamp-lower-wheel-adjustment-or-tire-dress-both

Works well, and I have done this a few times, as it took a good blade to realise that my saw was sound, and it were the blades that were the issue.
Couldn't believe how well it runs now with an Axminster blade,
There must be a good supplier of blades in the States that can guarantee their welds, I suggest you find one.

Tom

Roger Chandler
08-07-2019, 9:00 AM
I just replaced the bandsaw tires on my 18" Jet back a few weeks ago. I replaced with blue urethane tires, and they are better than the original rubber ones that came on the saw new. It was easy to replace them following the instructions that came with the replacements. The original rubber one came apart in 4 sections on the top tire. The bottom was still intact, but saw dust takes the moisture out of the rubber and failure will occur at some point. The urethane tires are much more durable and actually give a better grip to the blade to give maximum torque to the cut.

lowell holmes
08-07-2019, 9:53 AM
In a nut shell,
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=sz&hsimp=yhs-001&type=type7072964-sv7-dGFnUTEyMzI0MTEtbWFwcw-257662f11202d72cebec29d7d09f0f45&param1=dGFnUTEyMzI0MTEtbWFwcyxtYXBzLHYyXzE2MjIzNzI wMTVjZDQ3OWU3MzlhNzA3LjQxNzAwNjkxXzc2ZGYxNzVlODI2O WI4ZWZhNWFiYmFkNGFhOTY5MTJjLFVTLHR4LGRpY2tpbnNvbg&p=bandsaw%20tires%20replacement&param2=eyJzZXJwR2VvUmVkIjoibm8iLCJleHRUYWdzIjpbInR oZW1lX250c19tYXBzMiJdLCJicm93c2VyTmFtZSI6IkNocm9tZ SIsImJyb3dzZXJWZXJzaW9uIjoiNzQiLCJleHRWZXJzaW9uIjo iaG9zdGVkIiwiZXh0TmFtZSI6Ik1hcCBNeSBKb3VybmV5IiwiY 2xpY2tTcmMiOiJ5aHNfc3luIiwiY2hyb21lU3RvcmVJZCI6Im5 lY2lqaWNmamtka2lhbGtrZ25nY2Nqa2FvYmJtbGRjIiwic2VsV GhlbWUiOiJ0aGVtZV9udHNfbWFwczIiLCJkb21haW4iOiJ3d3c ubWFwbXlqb3VybmV5LmNvIiwiYXV0b1N1Z2dlc3RDbGsiOiJhc HBzX1YxIiwib3JTcmMiOiJuZXd0YWIiLCJpY2ciOiIwIiwiaGZ ldyI6ImQ1YTJkOGVjLTdlY2ItODE0OS04OWNmLTM5MjczYWMwO TNjMSIsInJldl9zcmMiOiIxIn0

Edward Weingarden
08-08-2019, 10:49 AM
If the damage was done by the blade stopping/slowing while the bottom wheel was spinning at normal speed, the damage should appear only on the bottom wheel. Since both wheels are showing the same ridge, chances are the tires reached this point together due to age in service.

Remember, the blade turns the top wheel. If the blade slows so does the top wheel. So there should have been no slippage between the blade and the top wheel when that event happened.

Might be time to replace them soon, even if you are successful at dressing them to remove that ridge.

Bill - you are correct; the ridge is only on the lower wheel. I went back and looked at the upper wheel and what I was feeling was the buildup of saw dust. My research tells me that urethane tires are a better option for replacement. Any thoughts on urethane vs rubber?

glenn bradley
08-08-2019, 11:00 AM
I have Smoothed/Crowned rubber tires with sandpaper. It is not difficult and I would not hesitate to give it a try. If you go to replace the tires, unless they are specially shaped, I would use the inexpensive urethane tires. I have some that have been running for over a decade.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Replace. My local Woodcraft as the Carter urethane tires on sale now. I have them on my Powermatic and Delta. They work great.

Kevin Beitz
08-08-2019, 8:00 PM
Grizzly tools sells new tires.... Heat in hot water makes it easier to put on.

Edward Weingarden
08-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Grizzly tools sells new tires.... Heat in hot water makes it easier to put on.

I just ordered the set from Grizzly.

Randy Heinemann
08-10-2019, 3:59 PM
Bill - you are correct; the ridge is only on the lower wheel. I went back and looked at the upper wheel and what I was feeling was the buildup of saw dust. My research tells me that urethane tires are a better option for replacement. Any thoughts on urethane vs rubber?

As another poster noted, Woodcraft has Carter Ultra Blue tires on sale. I bought a pair of 14" for $40. Based on my research, these tires would likely last me for a long time and may never need replacement again. For the low price, it isn't worth it to try to repair damaged tires.

Tom Trees
08-10-2019, 9:44 PM
As another poster noted, Woodcraft has Carter Ultra Blue tires on sale. I bought a pair of 14" for $40. Based on my research, these tires would likely last me for a long time and may never need replacement again. For the low price, it isn't worth it to try to repair damaged tires.

Foolproof, as long as you ease the cutter into the rubber, approaching the cut at the sort of angle of a scraper plane would, nip up the f-clamp after adjustments.
Take the wheel off to be sure you are square if you have flat tires, tricks of the eye happen in the cabinet with squares and such, probably a good idea even to see if your camber is centered if that's how you roll

As said make plans for dropping tools on your paintjob, worth cutting a bit of scrap ply.
Plan for blocking the back of the machine for the upper wheel beforehand if you need to, as it can be a bit frustrating synching everything down if you go trying to do it quickly.
Have a nice hefty f-clamp for the job.

Good luck
Tom