PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Sweetgum Bowl - pic

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Here is my last bowl to be posting for now. Glad I got all these done before pulling my back on Saturday. :mad: :(

Made from local Sweetgum.
4" high by 9" across with 3/16" walls
Sanded through 600 grit, tung oil and buffed.
This stuff turns really nice. I like it. :D

John Hart
12-13-2005, 10:14 PM
What a cool little spot on that one. I particularly like the shape you've done too. Something about the conical shape is pleasing. Nice.

Jim Ketron
12-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Nice form Dennis! I like the rim detail and the finish looks great!

Keith Burns
12-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Anoyher great Conway round for sure.:) Nice form and finish:)

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 10:18 PM
What a cool little spot on that one. I particularly like the shape you've done too. Something about the conical shape is pleasing. Nice.

Thanks John. All the Sweetgum I have all have those spots in them. The larger the overall piece? The larger the spot. When this back of mine heals better, I'm going to try a bigger piece. :D

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Nice form Dennis! I like the rim detail and the finish looks great!

Thanks Jim....coming from you? That's a big compliment. :cool: I'm still learning and trying various things and you, in part, are the reason why I try things. ;)

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Dennis - really like this one. especially the small Cothrenesque treatment on the bottom.

Travis Stinson
12-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Nice Dennis! I really like the profile too. Maybe I should have turned some of my Sweetgum fresh, instead of spalting it.............that has some nice color:cool:

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Great job on the bowl, Dennis! I'm with Jim K. on the rim detail. Well done. :) So, did this piece start with a totally dry blank or did you rough it out earlier and go with DNA or similar?:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
12-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Pics don't do this one justice... a very nice finish on this bowl. I liked the rim before you guys did, since I got to see it first...:D

One thing we got plenty of around here is Sweet Gum!

Dennis Peacock
12-14-2005, 1:16 AM
Great job on the bowl, Dennis! I'm with Jim K. on the rim detail. Well done. :) So, did this piece start with a totally dry blank or did you rough it out earlier and go with DNA or similar?:) :cool:

John,

Thanks....it was turned semi-green, put in the drink and dried for about 2 months. It did move a little, so Mark and I have figured out that we return each bowl TWICE. 1st time to get it back round. 2nd time to finsih turn the bowl. Let it set on the lathe or on a bench for about 4 days before the 2nd turning trip. Almost all major movement should be done with by then.:D

Chris Barton
12-14-2005, 8:03 AM
Good bowl Dennis! Probably the only thing sweetgum is good for...

Rich Stewart
12-14-2005, 11:00 AM
I too really like that shape. I will try another soon. First one, I went through the bottom. Large funnel now. You sure do beautiful work.

Greg Heppeard
12-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Nice one, Dennis. I like the form