PDA

View Full Version : 4212 Porter Cable Dovetail Jig

Dave Brownscombe
12-13-2005, 9:52 PM
Hi All,

Just ordered the 4212 and the 4215 Mini Through Dovetail/ Box Joint template. I'm pretty excited about finally going for it.
I've read in past posts here where folks were having a rough time finding the 17/32", 7 deg. Dovetail, 1/2" SH and 13/32", Straight, 1/2" SH Replacement bits.

I know that these are available from Woodcraft as Part #'s 146433 and 146432 respectively and the combo (set of 2) is 146434.

Now that takes care of the Replacement Bits for the 4212, but leaves me in the dark about where to find the Replacement Bits for the 4215 Mini Template.

These are the PC Part #'s for the 4215 Mini Template Bits.

43777PC - 9/32", 7 deg. Dovetail, 1/4" SH
43014PC - 3/16", Straight, 1/4" SH

Does anyone have a clue where I can find the Replacement Bits (above) as I did not see them listed on the PC site.

I've searched the web and haven't found them. I know that I will need a replacement for the 4215 bits sooner or later, any help in locating these two bits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

p.s. I've only posted here once before, but really appreciate the pool of knowledge here. Sure is nice to be able to find folks interested in and doing all different kinds of woodworking projects.
My main interest is in making small boxes from resawn local woods. This is why I elected to purchase the 4215 Mini Template and 4212 jig which can handle wood with a thickness from 1/4" to 1 1/8'. Should be just the ticket.

I'll keep ya posted on how I like the new jig ...

Thanks ... (Oh, and Happy Holidays to you all !!!)

Brian Jarnell
12-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Did you look at the Woodrat.?

http://www.woodrat.com/

Dave Brownscombe
12-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Hello Brian,

Looks like they have a 7mm, which might work, but I think the angle is incorrect (7 in 1) which works out to 8 deg +

I have a couple of emails into PC but have not received any replies.
I'll give a more thorough look at the Wood Rat site too, I appreciate the link.

Any other leads for these bits would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Dave

Keel McDonald
12-14-2005, 1:43 PM
Check out this former thread on that very topic.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25373

Dave Brownscombe
12-14-2005, 2:13 PM
No such luck with any past threads, so far, I've been searching them.

I need the bits for the 4215 Mini Template ... which is the optional template for the 4212 Jig.

These are the sizes:

9/32", 7 deg. Dovetail, 1/4" SH
and
3/16", Straight, 1/4" SH

I'm sure I can find the Straight bit, it's that 7 deg. 9/32 Dovetail that I really need.
Hopefully I can get a response out of Porter Cable regarding the bits.

I know a few people on this Forum have the 4215 Template, I was hoping that they knew where to get these.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Brownscombe
12-17-2005, 3:14 PM
I was able to find the Mini Template Bits that I need by calling the Porter Cable Service #, they were very helpful and have them in stock. I think the Dovetail bit is $15 and the Straight bit is $4-5.

I got the 4212 Jig yesterday, the Mini Template was backordered, but has shipped already ... :)

First impressions of the 4212 Jig:
Woah ... this thing is Sturdy and looks to be very well made.

Fit and finish are good, CNC work on the templates shows a little tooling and the fingers are not polished finish, but the guides fit very nicely and should produce a great dovetail.

All parts are present and fit well, no slop at all once things are tightened down. The knobs are comfortable to use and the whole Jig has a good feel to it ... I think it's going to be a pleasure to use.

The templates do have some slight burring along the machined edges, but nothing that isn't easily taken care of with a little TLC or use.

Everything seems to be well thought out and I like it's simplicity and apparent easy to use settings.

I've heard complaints about the Manual, but I found it well organized and very helpful ... I downloaded the 44 page Suplimentary Manual from PC and it covers a whole lot more use, tips and methods, alternate uses and bits etc. I think the manuals do a good job of covering the bases.

I'm anxious to try it out (that's the real test, of course) and to get the Mini Template, since that is what I will be using the most.

I'll post again after I work with it a while to let you know how I feel about it then.

Until then, Happy Holidays to you all, I wish you all the best and hope you get some time off to get out in the shop and create ...

Dave

Brian Jarnell
12-17-2005, 4:20 PM
Good to hear all is well Dave.I have only used the half blind jig and actually bought a second hand one yesterday.Looking forward to setting it up,it had a 1hp 3 phase motor and will fit a 1hp single p one.

Dave Brownscombe
12-17-2005, 8:17 PM
Second hand or new, it's always great to get tools. I've been resawing a variety of local hardwoods to use in making boxes, some of it's cured for over a year and a half now in my shop and should be fun to try out on the jig (after a few practice runs with some scrap wood, of course). Good luck with the setup on yours.

Take Care,
Dave