PDA

View Full Version : Split Along the Grain in Wood Panel

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 2:33 PM
Hello,

I need help understanding if my design is bad or if there is something else causing the wood to split along the grain in the same place on multiple units. This was cut from a 3/4" panel. I'm having a high defect rate where the wood splits somewhere along the thinnest upper part of the piece. The wood is at least 2 inches wide there. There are no other warping or splitting issues anywhere else. It was finished with urethane before the split occurred and the moisture content of the wood before being cut was 9.9%. It seems like larges changes in temp and humidity cause it to split after being finished. Please tell me if my design is bad and needs to be wider than 2 inches in that location or if the problem is more due to the wood panels. Thank you.

Jason413653

Andrew Hughes
08-03-2019, 3:07 PM
Did you make the panel that I see finger joints on. The only thing I can imagine with out knowing all the details is the Mc is to high. When it shrinks it’s weak right at the shortest grain area.
Good Luck

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 3:13 PM
Thank you for the reply. I bought the panels and then made the cuts. The MC may have been too high. I'd like to know that the design is okay before trying again with different panels.

Mel Fulks
08-03-2019, 3:20 PM
Yes, more wood at top would help. It's possible the crack was already there. You can saw off a little at the end of a board
and check for soundness before proceeding .

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 3:38 PM
Thank you for the reply. I will try to cut off a strip at the end of the board. That sounds like a good suggestion to see if a small crack has already formed.

Brian Holcombe
08-03-2019, 3:49 PM
If it's being bolted to something, then that is what's causing the crack.

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 4:02 PM
It had never been bolted to anything before the crack occurred.

Brian Holcombe
08-03-2019, 4:08 PM
Not enough material, or the split was already there. That area is going to shrink faster than the rest of the board.

Steve Jenkins
08-03-2019, 4:10 PM
Wood loses moisture faster from end grain so with that section being only 2” long (grain wise) it’s probably shrinking faster than the main panel

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 4:32 PM
That makes sense. Thank you for the reply. Any idea how thick it should be?

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 4:33 PM
Thank you. I guess it needs to be thicker than 2". Not sure how much though.

Andrew Hughes
08-03-2019, 4:36 PM
I’ve noticed in commercial made panels there can be a lot of stress. Esp ones from Ikea.
It’s manufactured in a production way they force the wood together to close any gaps. This adds stress and tension back into the wood.
Ikea counter tops are the worst.
Good Luck

Frederick Skelly
08-03-2019, 7:17 PM
If it were my project, I'd try one at 3" instead of 2". If it doesnt break, I think you have the answer. Using 3" will also make it less likely to split when you screw it down to whatever it attaches to.

Let us know how it goes Jason.

Fred

Jason Fackler
08-03-2019, 8:37 PM
Thank you, Fred. I will try 3".

Jeff Bartley
08-03-2019, 9:41 PM
If your buying pre-made panels I would try glueing up you own so you can better manage the internal stress.

Ole Anderson
08-03-2019, 9:59 PM
Just seeing the words "pit saw" makes my back hurt...

Bill Dufour
08-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Is you mc more then 15%. What desert do you live in? If so the panel is swelling as it adds moisture
Bill D..

Jason Fackler
08-04-2019, 8:34 PM
When I bought the panels they said that the MC was 9.9%. Next time, I will buy a MC meter on Amazon and verify myself. And, I will implement the suggestions people have given me on this site. I really appreciate all the replies.

Brian Holcombe
08-04-2019, 8:38 PM
These panels are probably glued up with a hydraulic or air press.