PDA

View Full Version : Collet Reducer?

Gary Ragatz
08-03-2019, 10:47 AM
I have a bunch of 1/4" shank router bits, left over from when my only router had a 1/4" collet. I see that Rockler has a "collet reducer" for about $7, and I thought it might be a little simpler to use that in my table-mounted router than to switch collets when I want to use one of the 1/4" shank bits.

Anyone here have experience with a reducer - how well does it work? Is there any challenge around bottoming-out - i.e., do you have to keep the reducer from bottoming-out, as well as the bit?

Thanks.

Keith Outten
08-03-2019, 11:27 AM
My experience with collet reducers is mixed. Some work well and some are not precise enough, they induce a small amount of wobble which is terrible at routing speeds. I prefer to change collets and not use any type of reducer.

scott vroom
08-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Switching collets takes just a few seconds, not sure what advantage is gained by using a reducer.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2019, 11:47 AM
I've used reducers generally with no problems. The single split ones work, but the multi-split type hold better. If you can get a dedicated collet and nut assembly it works best.

roger wiegand
08-03-2019, 12:15 PM
I've had trouble with them slipping. A dedicated collet of the correct size has worked much better. In my Bosch and PC routers the changeover is trivial.

Bruce Page
08-03-2019, 12:23 PM
I have one of these that I use with a Muscle Chuck: https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-6400-Diameter/dp/B0012JG9QM
The lip on the end makes it easy to remove when not needed.

andy bessette
08-03-2019, 1:38 PM
Switching collets takes just a few seconds, not sure what advantage is gained by using a reducer.

This. Change the collet.

Gary Ragatz
08-03-2019, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Guess I'll set this idea aside. If I ever come back to it, I'll keep the Whiteside in mind - unlike the Rockler, it has multiple splits, per Lee's suggestion, and the lip does​ seem like it would make it easier to remove.

johnny means
08-04-2019, 2:15 PM
Really, how much easier is it to use a reducer?

Mike Kees
08-05-2019, 3:19 AM
My first router was a Makita that had a 1/2'' collet and came with a reducer. I happily used it for years until I got my first Porter Cable router with two collets. The one I had from Makita had three slits in it.

Ben Rivel
08-15-2020, 12:04 PM
I have one of these that I use with a Muscle Chuck: https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-6400-Diameter/dp/B0012JG9QM
The lip on the end makes it easy to remove when not needed.
Got a MuscleChuck too and was considering going with the Whiteside adapter over the MuscleChuck myself. MuscleChuck (LINK (https://www.musclechuck.com/product/musclechuck-assembly-collets/)) wants over twice the price of the Whitesite 6400 (LINK (https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-6400-Diameter/dp/B0012JG9QM/)). They are different designs but I was wondering if the MuscleChuck version actually added any benefit. Nice to read of someone confirming they have one and havent had issues with it.

Jim Dwight
08-15-2020, 2:41 PM
I used a collet reducer in the Ryobi R 500 router I used to have in my router table. It had a 1/2 inch collet and no 1/4 inch option. The reducer worked but it was so tight on the bit I had to tap them in and out. Definitely didn't save time versus changing the collet. The old Ryobi recently failed, back bearing was shot and something near it melted, so I bought a PC 7518 which works great. It came with a 1/2 inch collet but it uses the same collet as my PC 690s. I had a 1/4 solid carbide bit in it a couple days ago cutting stopped dados for some cabinet doors.

Jim Becker
08-15-2020, 4:40 PM
It's pretty much always preferable to use a properly sized collet over a larger collet with a reducer when that's an option. Less things to go wrong, better hold on the tooling, etc. As as has been noted, changing the collet adds only a few seconds, if any, to the process as it's a best practice to fully remove a collet when changing tooling so you can properly clean it before putting new tooling in place and tightening.

johnny means
08-15-2020, 4:43 PM
One interface is always better than two. Unless you want a little slop.

Ben Rivel
08-15-2020, 11:40 PM
It's pretty much always preferable to use a properly sized collet over a larger collet with a reducer when that's an option. Less things to go wrong, better hold on the tooling, etc. As as has been noted, changing the collet adds only a few seconds, if any, to the process as it's a best practice to fully remove a collet when changing tooling so you can properly clean it before putting new tooling in place and tightening.
And if you have/use a MuscleChuck?

Jim Becker
08-16-2020, 9:47 AM
And if you have/use a MuscleChuck?

Not sure what that is, Ben...I'll have to look it up. But for regular router chucks, they come off and go on pretty darn easy so cleaning them and/or changing them to fit the tooling isn't a major burden, IMHO.