PDA

View Full Version : Firewood Maple Bowl - pic

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 9:45 PM
I grabbed this from a firewood pile from a buddy of mines house in Springdale, AR. It's Curly, Spalted Maple. I basically grabbed it on a whim just to show that I could fine something nice out of a regular ol' firewood pile. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

4" deep by 8" across by 1/4" thick.
Finish is Tung Oil and buffed.

John Nicholas
12-13-2005, 9:53 PM
From a pile of Firewood??? I think you better go back and get some more of that stuff.

Must be some other wonderful bowls in that firewood.

John :)

Bill Stevener
12-13-2005, 10:01 PM
One really nice looking bowl Dennis. When Gerri and I lived in the Adirondack mountains in NY, we burned 10 cords of fire wood during a heating season. How many bowls would that be??????? (for one year) we did this for 10 years. :eek:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Don't cha just love doing that Dennis? I did the same thing to an Amish fellow and his pile of firewood and gave him the bowl. I don't think they look at the firewood pile the same anymore.:D

Beautiful piece by the way. The spalt and the curl really sets the whole thing off. Nice!!

Keith Burns
12-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Very nice firewood Dennis. A very nice bowl as well. I'd go get some more for sure. Nice to see some Conway round:)

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Very nice firewood Dennis. A very nice bowl as well. I'd go get some more for sure. Nice to see some Conway round:)

One of these days Keith....I'll shamefuly bring you a bowl I made.:rolleyes: I'm not up to your caliber....but I'm still trying.;)

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Don't cha just love doing that Dennis? I did the same thing to an Amish fellow and his pile of firewood and gave him the bowl. I don't think they look at the firewood pile the same anymore.:D

Beautiful piece by the way. The spalt and the curl really sets the whole thing off. Nice!!

John,

I've done this on more than one occassion. I simply take the bowl to them and say, "here's what I found in your firewood pile." You could have blown them over with a feather.

Mark Cothren
12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Still looks great, Dennis! I bet he would cough out a "Wow!" if he saw what came out of his wood pile...:D

Tyler Howell
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
You've been busy my friend with some most excellent results.
Fine work and hope your feeling better soon.:cool:

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Some of the kewelest wood I've seen has been in firewood piles...and turning is wonderful in that you can acutally use it to make something beautiful.

Bill Stevener
12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Some of the kewelest wood I've seen has been in firewood piles...and turning is wonderful in that you can acutally use it to make something beautiful.

I agree with Jim 100%, and if the turning should turn out ugly :eek: , or something you were not looking for, you can still burn it.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-14-2005, 9:25 PM
I agree with Jim 100%, and if the turning should turn out ugly :eek: , or something you were not looking for, you can still burn it.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

I think I have more in my firewood pile than I did when I started turning.:eek:

That's a very nice bowl Dennis. Nice finish.

Ernie