PDA

View Full Version : Stopped chamfer

Mark Rainey
08-02-2019, 9:46 AM
On the edge of a long board I want to make a stopped chamfer ( bevel ). Any methods of work recommended using handtools? Are bullnose rabbet planes worth buying?

Robert Hazelwood
08-02-2019, 10:08 AM
I can't comment on bullnose rabbet planes but you don't need one to do a stopped chamfer. Mark your lines, then use a small bench plane or block plane to remove most of the material, leaving some at either end where the plane can't get to. If you skew the plane heavily you will effectively shorten the length of sole in contact with the work, so you can work closer to the ends. Then use a different tool to work the ends- you can use a convex sole spokeshave, rasp, files, sanding blocks, or gouges.

Bob Glenn
08-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Here's what I do when making stopped cambers. First I make a stop cut with a saw at the same angle as the chamfer. Then I remove most of waste with a draw knife. With care and with the grain you can make a nice looking chamfer with the draw knife alone. If needed I clean things up with a spoke shave. If you don't have a draw knife or spoke shave, visit an antique mall and get one. They are indispensible.

A nice alternative to a stopped camber is adding a lambs tongue at the end of the camber. It is a nice little detail that finishes the camber without being abrupt.

Mark Rainey
08-02-2019, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the good advice guys!

Andrew Seemann
08-02-2019, 5:39 PM
If it is a small chamfer, I usually just use a block plane to do the chamfer, starting or ending (depending on grain direction) a little short of the end of the chamfer by turning the plane diagonally off the edge. I do the stopped part free hand with a chisel. If it was a bigger chamfer, I'd probably just use a chamfer bit in a router and freehand the stop with a chisel.

Jim Koepke
08-03-2019, 12:40 AM
Here is a page from the user manual for a Stanley #55 showing another way to do stopped chamfers:

jtk

Mark Rainey
08-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Good pic Jim! Thanks.

andy bessette
08-03-2019, 1:23 PM
You can first create the stop using sandpaper wrapped around a dowel (sneak up on it) then chisel a long enough flat to receive the hand plane.

chris carter
08-03-2019, 4:37 PM
It takes practice, but I often just use a chisel and a steady hand and careful eye. Wider chisels make it easier; I typically use my 2". You could also just chisel the spot before the stop long enough to accept the nose of whatever plane you are using.

Mark Rainey
08-03-2019, 4:53 PM
thanks for the good tips Neanders!