PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 miter gauges - where to buy?

Phillip Mitchell
07-31-2019, 7:45 AM
I'm looking for some decent condition (used, NOS, or new aftermarket if they're not too pricey) miter gauges to incorporate into a dado specific sled. I will be using a pair of gauges as runners and screwing on a sacrificial fence onto them and using the table saw top (no bottom to the "sled") for added depth. Similar to how you'd use a single miter gauge when crosscutting, I just want to use a pair of them connected together with a sacrificial fence specifically for dado / tenon work. Looking for the best available option for buying a pair of them quickly and not spending $100 + each for a more cadillac miter gauge like an Incra or similar.

I currently have Rockler branded miter gauge of the 66 that i inherited with the saw, but it is too sloppy in the miter slots for my taste and not really adjustable enough to fit well.

Any thoughts?

David Buchhauser
07-31-2019, 7:59 AM
Maybe some shop-built runners to fit your miter slots. Hardwood, delrin, or other readily available material.

Bruce Wrenn
07-31-2019, 8:54 PM
Do a search here for "cross cut sleds". There have been a couple threads in the last year, that will yield several choices

Phillip Mitchell
08-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I’ve made a few cross cut sleds that I have in use, so I’m familiar with the process.

I was looking to use a pair of miter gauges instead of runners because it seemed stouter and easier to re-adjust square as needed but maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree. I don’t want a bottom on this dado sled, just a fence / sacrificial fence.

David Kumm
08-01-2019, 10:40 AM
If you don't want new aftermarket. try BOYD over at owwm.org for used gauges. Dave