PDA

View Full Version : Smoked my JET mini

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-13-2005, 4:43 PM
As you know, I've been a pen turning fool for the past couple weeks...so it only seems proper that it would die when I really have no reasonable alternative but to run right out in the morning and get another one. :mad: I have the bigboy lathe, but it's in the 'cold' room, and I'm too lazy to move it.

As it turns out, I was giving some thought to getting another mini anyway...just not in the next day or two. :mad:

Sympathy expected. :o :p

KC :mad:

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 4:50 PM
Sorry to hear that....my Hitachi 1/2" drill stopped spiinnng the other day and I smoked a turkey on Thansgiving;)

Keith Burns
12-13-2005, 4:51 PM
Oh, woe is you:rolleyes:. Bummer:eek: . My sympathy is extended:) . Don't look at it as if it's a problem. Look at it as though it's an opportunity.

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 4:52 PM
Kirk - Not that I'd be any help in performing the autopsy or any reconstructive surgery; but I am curious, as I'm sure others are, as to what particuarly went wrong with it.

On the other hand, if you intentionally boogered it up; I'm sure we'll all understand and keep our mouths shut - until after Christmas, anyway.

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 5:02 PM
So...is it worth smoking again?? LOL! :D

Seriously, "what" was smoked?

Chris Barton
12-13-2005, 6:52 PM
Hi Kirk,

I am like Andy and Jim, just what "smoked" and what have you done so far? If it's the motor, then it could be somthing as simple as a switch, brushes, capacitor or some other less costly factor. Or, did it reach "critical mass" while turning and convert directly to fart dust?

Chip Sutherland
12-13-2005, 7:33 PM
Is it really dead? I thought my Jet Mini died on me but it turned out to be the switch. I refurbished the switch and it came back to life. Time spent fixing switch: 10 minutes....Turning time lost: about 9 days...but I was out of town for 5 days. I whined for a day then started shopping for a new lathe. Then somebody told me how to fix the switch put I was smitten already for bigger lathe. I got it for Xmas 2 days before Thanksgiving. :D :D

John Hart
12-13-2005, 7:38 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe KC!!!!!:) :) :)

....I mean.....I'm really sorry your lathe died.:( :( :(

....I mean....Is there anything we can do to help?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-13-2005, 7:38 PM
If you "LET THE SMOKE OUT!", it won't work until you go buy a "BAG OF SMOKE" from your local electrical dirtributor, but I'd check the switch first. Mine stopped and as soon as I unscrewed the switch from the frame, it worked again. Go figure.

Bruce

Bill Stevener
12-13-2005, 9:08 PM
You fellas are beginning to shake me up a little. Every other post one reads about what is the best mini lathe and all the replies are the Jet. Now all I see is, "Well I just smoked mine or the :tail stock is slipping.. How about the paint, any problems with that flaking. :confused:

No real biggie guys, but I am going to get a new one in the morning.:eek:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Steve Clardy
12-13-2005, 9:18 PM
Man. I bet that was a terrible taste in your mouth KC.
I've never smoked a lathe. Just cigarettes.
Taste kinda like a lousey cigar? Lol

Ed Lang
12-13-2005, 9:22 PM
The switch acted up on mine too! I went and bought a Oneway 2436. It didn't have the same type of switch so I understand what you are doing;)

That mini is sure one super machine.

Bill Stevener
12-13-2005, 9:31 PM
The switch acted up on mine too! I went and bought a Oneway 2436. It didn't have the same type of switch so I understand what you are doing;)

That mini is sure one super machine.

Now here's another one. Did anyone look at my post #10???????
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:eek:

Ed Lang
12-13-2005, 9:35 PM
Bill,
I did read post #10. That is why I thought I would post to cast another vote for a cheap switch on a great lathe..... My paint job is not the best on the lathe and it does chip.... I just turned a bit of green Mulberry and now the lathe is all yellowed up.

Matt Meiser
12-13-2005, 9:37 PM
How about the paint, any problems with that flaking. :confused:

Bad news--mine has a few spots with missing paint. Also, the paint color on my extension bed is a 1/2 shade different from the lathe.

Bill Stevener
12-13-2005, 9:47 PM
So I guess, while in rough, the order of the day is to stop and buy a good switch, and a can of touch up paint.. Naw, I am going to use a foot switch, the one on the lathe will always be in the on position, with a kill button on the right end.

Thanks guys, I know it's a great lathe. Just wanted a smaller one for the back shop, area is much smaller and easier to heat than the big shop, and I can still turn what is needed for now, until it worms up a bit.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-14-2005, 1:32 AM
I noticed the smell first...obviously something burning, but not particularly 'electrical' smelling. I thought maybe I'd started a fire sharpening chisels on the disc sander, because I've done that before :rolleyes: (and I know I'm not the only one!). Eventually I noticed a few faint wisps of smoke...and shorty thereafter a great deal of smoke. I'm fairly certain it's the capacitor...which should be an easy enough fix once I have the part...but I need to be turning tomorrow. It'll still turn on, and still run at speed, but the smoke just pours out immediately. FWIW, I don't use this thing 40 hours a week...but when I AM using it, I tend to use it a lot, and for several hours at a time. Without looking, I'll say I've had it maybe 4 years. At something between $200 and $300, I almost consider it a 'consumable' expense...

KC