PDA

View Full Version : New Push Chisels and a Marking knife

ken hatch
07-27-2019, 9:45 AM
My UPS girl delivered a pack of chisels from Stanley Covington the other day. This time push chisels to fill in a couple of blank spots and he threw in a very nice old stock marking knife.

If you are thinking about buying some Japanese chisels you can't do better than Stan. If you can't tell I'm a fanboy, he has great knowledge and his customer service can't be beat. I think on these last chisels the time between the "go ahead" email and the UPS girl visit was three days, four days max. All the way from Japan, it doesn't get better.

ken

Jim Koepke
07-27-2019, 9:48 AM
I think on these last chisels the time between the "go ahead" email and the UPS girl visit was three days, four days max.

Dang, if only my Netflix turnaround was that quick.

Nice looking bunch of chisels.

jtk

ken hatch
07-27-2019, 9:52 AM
Dang, if only my Netflix turnaround was that quick.

Nice looking bunch of chisels.

jtk

Thanks Jim,

I'm always surprised at how quickly Stan gets to order to me. Other folks I've ordered from seem to take forever.

ken

Randall Houghton
07-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Ken
Is there a particular size or sizes that you use the most? I need to get some push chisels from Stan but I'm on the fence about which size I would use the most often. Leaning

toward wider as apposed to narrower for general work.

Pete Taran
07-27-2019, 12:15 PM
I too got some chisels from Stan last week. One was an experiment, a Kakuuchi chisel without the hollow ground back. I do a lot of work with a chisel this size, and wanted to try one without the hollow as for me at least, in the application I'm using it in, it's a liability. This was a custom order and arrived on my doorstep within 3 weeks. Stan is definitely the place to shop if you are looking for any style of Japanese chisel and want the best quality chisel available for the money spent.

In the photos, if you look closely, you can see how thick the hardened steel face is and how it wraps up the sides at an angle. A very talented smith made this. Hardened to 65 C to boot (I measured).

ken hatch
07-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Ken
Is there a particular size or sizes that you use the most? I need to get some push chisels from Stan but I'm on the fence about which size I would use the most often. Leaning

Randall,

Your thinking is correct but you also need one or two smaller sized to clean out the ends of mortises and for use making the "v" grove for first class saw cuts.

ken

Pete Taran
07-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Randall,

My advice would be to get a complete set as you can afford them. The old Smiths that make these sort of high quality chisels are retiring and dying off monthly. Stan opines that within 5 years, there will only be mass produced chisel makers left. As the older Smiths disappear, younger Smiths are not rising to take their place. So, if you can afford them, you would do well to start buying them as you can, even if you don't need them. Stan works face to face with his Smiths, and collects and ships the chisels when they are done. He typically stocks common sizes.

A long way of saying, this sort of thing seems to have a shelf life, not the least of which is when Stan retires, he will be moving back to America. The saying strike while the iron is hot was never more appropriate. You can locate Stan on the web by googling Stan Covington Blog. His blog will be on the first page of results.

Ken

ken hatch
07-27-2019, 12:27 PM
I too got some chisels from Stan last week. One was an experiment, a Kakuuchi chisel without the hollow ground back. I do a lot of work with a chisel this size, and wanted to try one without the hollow as for me at least, in the application I'm using it in, it's a liability. This was a custom order and arrived on my doorstep within 3 weeks. Stan is definitely the place to shop if you are looking for any style of Japanese chisel and want the best quality chisel available for the money spent.

In the photos, if you look closely, you can see how thick the hardened steel face is and how it wraps up the sides at an angle. A very talented smith made this. Hardened to 65 C to boot (I measured).

Pete,

"...you can see how thick the hardened steel face is and how it wraps up the sides at an angle." That was one of the things that has impressed me about chisels from Stan. They are definitely blacksmith welded and not from rolls of pre-welded steel like some I've seen.

ken

ken hatch
07-27-2019, 12:33 PM
Randall,

My advice would be to get a complete set as you can afford them. The old Smiths that make these sort of high quality chisels are retiring and dying off monthly. Stan opines that within 5 years, there will only be mass produced chisel makers left. As the older Smiths disappear, younger Smiths are not rising to take their place. So, if you can afford them, you would do well to start buying them as you can, even if you don't need them. Stan works face to face with his Smiths, and collects and ships the chisels when they are done. He typically stocks common sizes.

A long way of saying, this sort of thing seems to have a shelf life, not the least of which is when Stan retires, he will be moving back to America. The saying strike while the iron is hot was never more appropriate. You can locate Stan on the web by googling Stan Covington Blog. His blog will be on the first page of results.

I agree. I have no real need for additional chisels but I fear in 5 years chisels of this quality will not be available at any price. In addition it allows me to support true artists while they are still alive.

ken

Pat Barry
07-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Why are these called push chisels? I believe thats true of all chisels.

ken hatch
07-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Why are these called push chisels? I believe thats true of all chisels.

Pat

Japanese chisels come in two basic forms, striking chisels meant to be hit with a iron hammer and paring or push chisels that are to only be motivated by hand or shoulder pressure.

ken

Matt Lau
07-27-2019, 1:35 PM
I'm not sure how to see the image, but look forward to it?

Matt Lau
07-27-2019, 2:00 PM
Also, just to add that Stan doesn't really make money off this stuff.

He started doing this years ago to help the older/unknown blacksmiths be able to eat.
These blacksmiths often struggle to get orders, and find people willing to pay for their work.
Stan essentially fronts the money for multiple commissions, and resells them to cover his costs.

Pete Taran
07-27-2019, 2:05 PM
Matt, you need to spend $6 to be a contributor to see images and do anything worthwhile on the site

Stewie Simpson
07-27-2019, 8:09 PM
Congrats on your purchase Ken.

ken hatch
07-29-2019, 7:32 AM
Congrats on your purchase Ken.

Thanks Stewie, part of the reason was what Matt posted about the Smiths and Stan. While nice to have I don't need more chisels but they sure are pretty:o.

ken

Phil Mueller
07-29-2019, 8:48 AM
You all have pushed me over the edge. I do more paring than chopping, so started with a few push chisels...6, 12, and 24mm.

ken hatch
07-29-2019, 10:22 AM
You all have pushed me over the edge. I do more paring than chopping, so started with a few push chisels...6, 12, and 24mm.

Phil,

Congrats, I expect you will find them very useful.

ken

Phil Mueller
07-29-2019, 8:43 PM
Thanks Ken. This is going to be a very slippery slope, isn’t it.

ken hatch
07-29-2019, 10:59 PM
Thanks Ken. This is going to be a very slippery slope, isn’t it.
Phil,

LOL. You really don't know how slippery:o. To paraphrase Fabulous Frank of the Furry Freak Brothers, "Chisels will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no chisels". At least he said something like that but maybe not about chisels.

ken

Frederick Skelly
07-30-2019, 6:44 AM
Fabulous Frank of the Furry Freak Brothers

Ok Ken. Now I've just GOT to go down to the comic book store and buy some of those comics, just to read more about The Furry Freak Brothers. I can tell already that this will be interesting. :) :) :)

Fabulous Frank. I'm gonna smile all day!

Fred

ken hatch
07-30-2019, 7:36 AM
Ok Ken. Now I've just GOT to go down to the comic book store and buy some of those comics, just to read more about The Furry Freak Brothers. I can tell already that this will be interesting. :) :) :)

Fabulous Frank. I'm gonna smile all day!

Fred

Fred,

Those were the days, my friend. I find myself remembering things from 50 years ago with ease but where I left my hearing aid, glasses or keys 50 minutes ago not so much.

ken

Brian Holcombe
07-30-2019, 9:15 AM
Beautiful! Glad to see this thread!

Jacob Reverb
07-30-2019, 9:17 AM
Interesting. How/where does one go about purchasing chisels from Mr. Covington? I googled around, but didn't find much.

I purchased my first Japanese chisel, a Matsumura white steel one, this year, and love it.

ken hatch
07-30-2019, 9:26 AM
Interesting. How/where does one go about purchasing chisels from Mr. Covington? I googled around, but didn't find much.

I purchased my first Japanese chisel, a Matsumura white steel one, this year, and love it.

Jacob,

Check your PM.

ken

ken hatch
07-30-2019, 9:28 AM
Beautiful! Glad to see this thread!

Brian,

Pretty much the reason for the thread. Things can be easily lost.

ken

Jack Frederick
07-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Ken, do you have a good link to Mr Covington's site?

Phil Mueller
07-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Brian, I watched your video on sharpening last night. This is going to lead to a dark hole of stones, I fear. :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
07-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Ken, do you have a good link to Mr Covington's site?

Check your Private Messages.

jtk

Brian Holcombe
07-30-2019, 1:42 PM
Brian, I watched your video on sharpening last night. This is going to lead to a dark hole of stones, I fear. :rolleyes:

Hehe, post photos when you get a few stones. :D

brian zawatsky
07-30-2019, 5:05 PM
Nice chisels Ken. You could accuse me of being a Stan C fanboy as well :D

At the risk of hijacking your thread, here are a few pics of a 54mm atsunomi that i just took delivery of this morning. An absolute monster! Stan had to have it forged, still received it in under 3 weeks. White steel, forged by Usui-san of Sukemaru fame.

413487 413488 413489

ken hatch
07-30-2019, 6:44 PM
Nice chisels Ken. You could accuse me of being a Stan C fanboy as well :D

At the risk of hijacking your thread, here are a few pics of a 54mm atsunomi that i just took delivery of this morning. An absolute monster! Stan had to have it forged, still received it in under 3 weeks. White steel, forged by Usui-san of Sukemaru fame.

413487 413488 413489

Brian,

It's never a hijack when posting photos of your chisels :).

You are correct it looks like a monster, beautiful but big.

ken

ken hatch
07-30-2019, 6:48 PM
Hehe, post photos when you get a few stones. :D

Oh Brian, you done started Phil down the path to ruination, his bank account will never be the same :D.

ken

Phil Mueller
07-30-2019, 8:29 PM
Ha! So far the chisels are like free. I hate carrying coins. When I’ve purchased something with cash, the change goes in a jar. Low and behold, after a year there was just enough to cover the chisels.

Then, glory be, Stan’s sharpening tutorial he sent me, suggests he is a very practical man. MAYBE a finishing nat, but my current minimalist set up may work out well.

Brian Holcombe
07-30-2019, 10:11 PM
Nice, you really don’t need to spend too much. The small sized stones are fine, all that matters is the quality of the edge.

Phil Mueller
07-30-2019, 10:39 PM
You’re right, Brian. One of things Stan points out is that short strokes (1-2”) is a good method. At least for those of us getting acclimated to free hand sharpening. I noticed you did that as well in your video. At the time, wasn’t sure if that was just to even out the wear on your stone in certain spots, or not. But it certainly indicates that a smaller stone can be all that is needed.

Sorry Ken, I have no intention of turning this into a sharpening discussion. When a chisel comes from a craftsman who’s spent decades on his craft, just want to make sure I treat them well.

Jeff Bartley
07-31-2019, 8:00 AM
Brian Z,
Once you have some time with that atsunomi I'd love to hear about it! I have a set of chisels that Stan and Chris Hall helped identify as 'contractor grade' chisels. I like them but I'm itching for a little better steel and a little heavier build. Before reading Stans blog I did t even know the atsunomi existed! Jeff

Brian Holcombe
07-31-2019, 8:24 AM
You’re right, Brian. One of things Stan points out is that short strokes (1-2”) is a good method. At least for those of us getting acclimated to free hand sharpening. I noticed you did that as well in your video. At the time, wasn’t sure if that was just to even out the wear on your stone in certain spots, or not. But it certainly indicates that a smaller stone can be all that is needed.

Sorry Ken, I have no intention of turning this into a sharpening discussion. When a chisel comes from a craftsman who’s spent decades on his craft, just want to make sure I treat them well.

I vary it depending on what I'm doing, but for a finish stone it is typically short strokes. It can be harder to conduct short strokes on smaller width chisels, so for anything really small I will use a long stroke going forward only with a lot of pressure behind the bevel.

Similarly if I have to flatten a curved bevel i'll do the same thing.

Tony Zona
07-31-2019, 10:00 AM
So . . . how does one go about learning what chisels are available, and what they cost?

ken hatch
07-31-2019, 10:11 AM
So . . . how does one go about learning what chisels are available, and what they cost?

Tony,

Drop Stan an email and ask. Stan will reply with a list of what he has in stock or if you know what you want just ask if he can get it. Remember this isn't really a business like one of the big Japanese retailers but a work of caring for the smiths and love of Japanese tools in general.

ken

Tony Zona
07-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks. ����

Michael Todrin
07-31-2019, 4:58 PM
Jeff,

I got a couple of Atsu-nomi from Stan six months ago and they are fantastic. Nicely balanced and weighted. They take a fabulous edge and hold it forever.

Mike Allen1010
07-31-2019, 5:54 PM
Great/horrible thread- let's review the facts:

Do I have more chisels than any one person could reasonably need- Yes.

Is a pairing chisel that needs to be exceptional sharp for cutting a shoulder on lay out lines for precision sawing and cleaning out dados groves etc., one of the most used chisels in my shop- again Yes.

Would it be great to have a premium tools for a frequent, critical task - of course yes- best rational for indulging in tool lust ever (eg. "I need the tools because I'll use it a lot for important stuff")..

Is there a charmic benefit in buying a tools that supports true masters of a disappearing craft- duuuh- of course Yes.

Finally, will I be e-mailing Stan for the perfect pairing chisel of my dreams--- ....... inevitably Yes.

I'm helpless in the face of rational temptation, --- that and Mexican food. Ken I blame you - YeaH that's right I SAID IT - Hatch you are at fault here! I demand recompense in the form of Mexican food and Tequila next time you're road tripping through San Diego. OK maybe that was a little harsh---.... how about I spring for chow/booze at the dive, hole in the wall taqueria of my choice? There- I feel better now - off to the SC Blog!

Cheers, Mike

brian zawatsky
07-31-2019, 8:08 PM
Brian Z,
Once you have some time with that atsunomi I'd love to hear about it! I have a set of chisels that Stan and Chris Hall helped identify as 'contractor grade' chisels. I like them but I'm itching for a little better steel and a little heavier build. Before reading Stans blog I did t even know the atsunomi existed! Jeff

I will be happy to, Jeff. As far as the work of the blacksmiths that Stan is associated with, I can say that I have: a 10 pc set of oiirenomi, 3 mukomachinomi, 3 usunomi very similar to those posted by Ken, and a wide 38mm mitsu-ura usunomi (triple-hollow ground back) that are all very hard, take a keen edge, and hold it very well. So my expectations are that the atsunomi will behave similarly

Frederick Skelly
07-31-2019, 8:34 PM
Randall,

The old Smiths that make these sort of high quality chisels are retiring and dying off monthly. Stan opines that within 5 years, there will only be mass produced chisel makers left. As the older Smiths disappear, younger Smiths are not rising to take their place. So, if you can afford them, you would do well to start buying them as you can, even if you don't need them. Stan works face to face with his Smiths, and collects and ships the chisels when they are done.

Dang it Pete! I wish you hadn't said all that! I've been trying to avoid buying Japanese chisels, or at least putting them off and hoping I'd lose the desire. Now, I can't procrastinate any more. There goes at least $500.

Thanks man! :) :) :)

ken hatch
08-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Great/horrible thread- let's review the facts:

Do I have more chisels than any one person could reasonably need- Yes.

Is a pairing chisel that needs to be exceptional sharp for cutting a shoulder on lay out lines for precision sawing and cleaning out dados groves etc., one of the most used chisels in my shop- again Yes.

Would it be great to have a premium tools for a frequent, critical task - of course yes- best rational for indulging in tool lust ever (eg. "I need the tools because I'll use it a lot for important stuff")..

Is there a charmic benefit in buying a tools that supports true masters of a disappearing craft- duuuh- of course Yes.

Finally, will I be e-mailing Stan for the perfect pairing chisel of my dreams--- ....... inevitably Yes.

I'm helpless in the face of rational temptation, --- that and Mexican food. Ken I blame you - YeaH that's right I SAID IT - Hatch you are at fault here! I demand recompense in the form of Mexican food and Tequila next time you're road tripping through San Diego. OK maybe that was a little harsh---.... how about I spring for chow/booze at the dive, hole in the wall taqueria of my choice? There- I feel better now - off to the SC Blog!

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

LMAO, Sorry to do it to you man but you did a great job of rationalization :D. I expect MsBubba and I will make a trip to San Diego come late November early December. If it works out that we do, I'll buy the beer, you pick the taqueria.

ken

Phil Mueller
08-01-2019, 4:24 PM
This arrived on my front porch today. Looking forward to paring up a few board feet this weekend.

Jeff Bartley
08-01-2019, 8:19 PM
Wow Phil! So you ordered these like four days ago? It's getting really hard to resist sending Stan an email!

Phil Mueller
08-01-2019, 9:02 PM
Amazing indeed. Stan mailed them on Monday, arrived Thursday.

Matt Lau
08-05-2019, 6:54 PM
Matt, you need to spend $6 to be a contributor to see images and do anything worthwhile on the site

Thanks, Pete. I guess it's been a loooooong while since I've been on Sawmill Creek.