PDA

View Full Version : A few nice finds this morning...

Mike Manning
07-26-2019, 2:31 PM
I hit an estate sale this morning where the husband and wife had lived on this place for 70 years. My finds were a Disston D-23 hand saw, Stanley No 3 Type 16 smoothing plane, Stanley 9-1/4 block plane, can of Singer sewing machine oil and a Lion battery operated pencil sharpener. The hand saw and the planes are in really nice condition with only a very little light surface rust in places. The No 3 will get cleaned up and resold. I'll keep the 9-1/4 as I don't have one. I know nothing about the Disston saw. Is this a decent saw? Age? Thanks!

Brian Hale
07-26-2019, 2:42 PM
The D23, of which i have a few, is a mid priced saw of good quality

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html

Mike Manning
07-26-2019, 2:50 PM
The D23, of which i have a few, is a mid priced saw of good quality

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html

Brian,
That just happens to be the link I found with a google search. At least I know this is a decent saw and likely worth the $3 I spent on it. It didn't help me date this particular saw though. Anyone know how to date these to any kind of period? The Stanley No 3 is pre-WWII and in great condition so for all I know the saw could be as well.

Thanks!
Mike

Pete Taran
07-26-2019, 2:59 PM
Post a picture of the handle. There is a progression which can narrow it down. The earliest it might be is 1911 though and they made them right through the 1950s

Brian Hale
07-26-2019, 3:23 PM
Go to the Disstonian home page, about half way down is a link titled Medallions -- How Old Is My Saw? , that should give you waht you're looking for.

$3?....... Yeah, that's a Great deal

Jim Koepke
07-26-2019, 3:23 PM
They would have come home with me, good find.

My grandson is going to take one of my #3 size planes and a #60 home with him to California.

Funny thing is the #3 was purchased at a yard sale not far from him many years ago.

jtk

Mike Manning
07-26-2019, 3:43 PM
Post a picture of the handle. There is a progression which can narrow it down. The earliest it might be is 1911 though and they made them right through the 1950s

Pete,
Here's the handle...

Mike Manning
07-26-2019, 3:52 PM
Found the info Brian referenced above about dating the medallion. Definitely, a 1955-1990 saw. Anyone know what kind of wood the handle is likely made of?

lowell holmes
07-26-2019, 4:48 PM
Uhh, . . . . you need to visit this page.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Some rate the D12 as being the best of the best.
I have a D12.
D-7 and D-8 saws are good saws. I have both.

Joe Tilson
07-26-2019, 5:32 PM
Probably beech, H. K. Porter made that saw after they bought out Disston. I have two D-23's from that era. They are pretty good saws. Found a D-8 10 tpi Wednesday for $5.00, and all We have to do is clean it up, as it is sharp. It cuts very nicely. That saw would have gone home with me too. Nice find!

Pete Taran
07-27-2019, 11:59 AM
This saw is a perfect example of why dating saws by the medallion alone can often lead to errors.

The medallion on that saw is not original to the saw, and neither is the aluminum nut at the top of the handle. The three brass screws, however are. The handle is of apple and the design is consistent with saws made just before WW II and just after. If I were to guess, I would say late 30s early 40s.

Joe Tilson
08-02-2019, 9:43 AM
The medallion is not the only consideration. Take a look at the plate as well. The steel looks very bright to me to be early 1900's steel, and H.K. Porter use heavier plate than Disston. This saw is so mixed it could be anything. I will give one thing though, the tote is probably apple. Of course this is an opinion, and opinions are like noses, everybody has one. No disrespect to anyone, just another opinion. Pete, you may be correct. I just see it different, and thank you.

steven c newman
08-02-2019, 5:06 PM
one of two such saws I have...$2 for this one, and..
This 6ppi was Free at another sale

Mike Manning
08-03-2019, 1:10 AM
Thanks to everyone for offering your opinion. Nice saws Steven!

Based on Joe's comments are there ways to tell from looking at the steel to help judge the age?

Pete Taran
08-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Joe,

I don't follow the logic. Old saws can't have bright steel? I have some saws that are 150 years old with steel brighter than the OPs. If the steel was cared for and not hung in the barn, it will stay bright! Brightness is a function of rust and neglect. The handle is most definitely apple, not a ray fleck to be seen anywhere on that handle.

Regards,

Pete

Joe Tilson
08-03-2019, 8:57 PM
Pete,
I just saw the etch, apologies to all.

Regards,

Joe

Mike Manning
08-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Wondering now if Joe agrees with Pete's late '30s, early '40s assessment? It's nice to have some idea what period my old tools and machines came from because I just find it enjoyable thinking about the quality that will allow them to last for multiple generations. And perform well for each generation with some care and maintenance. Good stuff! :0)

Jerry Olexa
08-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Good interesting thread...Lots of knowledge, experience here...Thank you

Joe Tilson
08-06-2019, 1:24 PM
It is definitely post 1928 (D-28). Could make a good saw, but the plate is nearly used up, if I'm seeing right.:)
65 saws and I still can't see correctly. Sometimes the minds eye goes blind. You younger guys will find out in a few years.:confused:

Mike Manning
08-06-2019, 3:49 PM
It is definitely post 1928 (D-28). Could make a good saw, but the plate is nearly used up, if I'm seeing right.:)
65 saws and I still can't see correctly. Sometimes the minds eye goes blind. You younger guys will find out in a few years.:confused:

What does it mean that "the plate is nearly used up"?

Jim Koepke
08-06-2019, 4:07 PM
What does it mean that "the plate is nearly used up"?

It looks like the saw has been sharpened a lot. In a few years, if the toe gets to light, you may want to make this into a panel saw.

jtk

Mike Manning
08-06-2019, 4:19 PM
It looks like the saw has been sharpened a lot. In a few years, if the toe gets to light, you may want to make this into a panel saw.

jtk

Jim,
Can you tell that by looking at the depth (or lack thereof) between the teeth? Or maybe it's by looking at the width of the saw at the tip? Suspect that actually wouldn't be the width but don't know it's official name.

Mike

Jim Koepke
08-06-2019, 4:45 PM
Jim,
Can you tell that by looking at the depth (or lack thereof) between the teeth? Or maybe it's by looking at the width of the saw at the tip? Suspect that actually wouldn't be the width but don't know it's official name.

Mike

From the image in the original post from the spine of the saw to the paper over the teeth it looks like there is less than a couple of inches. Usually the depth of the plate at the toe is a bit deeper. Eventually the depth at the toe may be too shallow to keep the plate stiff when in use. That could be another 50 - 100 years.

jtk

Mike Manning
08-11-2019, 1:23 PM
Thanks Jim. I know it'll last the rest of my lifetime. Here's a pic of the saw tip. Just about an inch remaining. Any idea as to the breadth of that tip when this saw was new?

Jim Koepke
08-11-2019, 1:46 PM
Thanks Jim. I know it'll last the rest of my lifetime. Here's a pic of the saw tip. Just about an inch remaining. Any idea as to the breadth of that tip when this saw was new?

The answer to your question is better left to someone who may actually have some information on the original specs.

jtk

Mike Manning
08-11-2019, 3:33 PM
To Those Interested,
Thursday morning I was striking out at an estate sale I'd shown up early for and was about to leave empty-handed when I got a text from someone who is running an estate sale in Sep. She knew of my interest in old tools and in particular woodworking tools. She said they were clearing out the shops and sheds preparing for the estate sale and if I wanted I could come have a look early for anything that might be of interest to me. I couldn't get there fast enough! I came home with nineteen planes, sixteen of the wooden variety, one Record Marples No 7 almost new still in the box, a Stanley No 19 block plane and a Stanley No 45.

Most of the wooden planes (I don't know if these type of planes have a different name. ???) were made by a "M. CRANNELL" "ALBANY". One is "Bensen & Crannell Albany", Some of the others are "____ENT & CO. U.S." within a banner (Sargent & Co. ???), "DEFOREST BIRMINGHAM" and "_____ENFIELD TOOL CO. GREENFIELD, MASS." Would love to know any info on who made these planes and approximate age. They all have irons and "wedges" (?) with the exception of 2 which seem almost identical and one of those has an iron but no wedge and the other has a wedge but no iron. I paid $3 per plane for each of the wooden planes.

The Stanley No. 19 block plane (7" long) appears to be a type 2 from looking in the John Walter's Stanley Guide. It has the knuckle joint lever cap stamped "Pat. Dec. 28. 86.". Stamped on the body in fairly large type is "S R & L". Too much rust on the iron to tell what is stamped there. It appears I'm starting to collect Stanley user planes and I certainly didn't have a No. 19 (or 18).

I have a contact with a Stanley No. 45 who was willing to sell it to me for $80. It has the original wooden box and 18 cutters also with an original wooden cutter box, both sets of arms, etc. I guess it's a good thing I held off on buying it as I picked up this Stanley 45 at less than half of what he was willing to sell it to me at. It has both sets of arms and ALL the standard cutters plus #40 & #41. Judging by the Walter's guide I believe it's a type 16 (1936-1948) and the condition seems to be excellent. The cutters need to be cleaned up and one has significant pitting. The rosewood fence has some apparent intentional damage in one spot. I need to find an instruction manual and get it copied. I would love to try using it for some beading.

All in all it was a fun day and as I was about to leave with my haul of goodies I got a call from our son. He and his wife are expecting their first child (our 3rd grandson). They were at the hospital and her doctor was going to induce labor. Fyi, the little big (8lb 11oz, 21") fella was born on Friday and is going home today. All are doing well. What a wonderful weekend!!!

Jerry Olexa
08-11-2019, 5:09 PM
To Those Interested,
Thursday morning I was striking out at an estate sale I'd shown up early for and was about to leave empty-handed when I got a text from someone who is running an estate sale in Sep. She knew of my interest in old tools and in particular woodworking tools. She said they were clearing out the shops and sheds preparing for the estate sale and if I wanted I could come have a look early for anything that might be of interest to me. I couldn't get there fast enough! I came home with nineteen planes, sixteen of the wooden variety, one Record Marples No 7 almost new still in the box, a Stanley No 19 block plane and a Stanley No 45.

Most of the wooden planes (I don't know if these type of planes have a different name. ???) were made by a "M. CRANNELL" "ALBANY". One is "Bensen & Crannell Albany", Some of the others are "____ENT & CO. U.S." within a banner (Sargent & Co. ???), "DEFOREST BIRMINGHAM" and "_____ENFIELD TOOL CO. GREENFIELD, MASS." Would love to know any info on who made these planes and approximate age. They all have irons and "wedges" (?) with the exception of 2 which seem almost identical and one of those has an iron but no wedge and the other has a wedge but no iron. I paid $3 per plane for each of the wooden planes.

The Stanley No. 19 block plane (7" long) appears to be a type 2 from looking in the John Walter's Stanley Guide. It has the knuckle joint lever cap stamped "Pat. Dec. 28. 86.". Stamped on the body in fairly large type is "S R & L". Too much rust on the iron to tell what is stamped there. It appears I'm starting to collect Stanley user planes and I certainly didn't have a No. 19 (or 18).

I have a contact with a Stanley No. 45 who was willing to sell it to me for $80. It has the original wooden box and 18 cutters also with an original wooden cutter box, both sets of arms, etc. I guess it's a good thing I held off on buying it as I picked up this Stanley 45 at less than half of what he was willing to sell it to me at. It has both sets of arms and ALL the standard cutters plus #40 & #41. Judging by the Walter's guide I believe it's a type 16 (1936-1948) and the condition seems to be excellent. The cutters need to be cleaned up and one has significant pitting. The rosewood fence has some apparent intentional damage in one spot. I need to find an instruction manual and get it copied. I would love to try using it for some beading.

All in all it was a fun day and as I was about to leave with my haul of goodies I got a call from our son. He and his wife are expecting their first child (our 3rd grandson). They were at the hospital and her doctor was going to induce labor. Fyi, the little big (8lb 11oz, 21") fella was born on Friday and is going home today. All are doing well. What a wonderful weekend!!!

WOW!!!! You did very very well...I'll take that 45 set off your hands for $50 to help you out...:) Seriously, GREAT haul!!!!

Jim Koepke
08-11-2019, 5:25 PM
Nice find Mike, here is a source for a manual:

https://woodandshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Stanley-45-Combination-Plane-Manual.pdf

It looks like it is a transitional instruction sheet since the photo images show a type model from before the micro adjustable fence. The drawn illustrations show the components of the micro adjust.

Your #45 appears to be missing the locking screw for the fence. Those can be difficult to find as it is an odd thread.

jtk

Mike Manning
08-11-2019, 8:07 PM
Thanks Jerry & Jim!

Jim,
Where does the locking screw for the fence reside on the plane exactly? Anyone know where to find a blown up parts diagram? The ones I can find online aren't really legible.

steven c newman
08-11-2019, 11:41 PM
Look right by the knob..
What other views do you need?

Mike Manning
08-12-2019, 1:02 AM
Look right by the knob..
What other views do you need?

I see it now, right there where the threaded hole is missing a screw! Thanks Steven! I googled "Stanley No 45 fence locking screw" and this is NOT what it found. Still searching for a replacement. Does this locking screw have a slotted head?

Jim Koepke
08-12-2019, 1:05 AM
Mike, it is the second most often missing part on a Stanley #45. For some reason people remove it and don't put it back. It is shown with an arrow here:

It appears to be a 10-28 thread, not a common pitch.

jtk

steven c newman
08-12-2019, 1:05 AM
No..it be a knurled thumbscrew. Most of which are found with most of the knurling worn away...by pliers.

Jim Koepke
08-12-2019, 1:07 AM
Does this locking screw have a slotted head?

No, it has a knurled head. Sometimes images on ebay show them replaced with a slotted screw.

jtk

steven c newman
08-12-2019, 1:08 AM
You might see IF nhplaneparts would have one....

Mike Manning
08-12-2019, 1:41 PM
Mike, it is the second most often missing part on a Stanley #45. For some reason people remove it and don't put it back. It is shown with an arrow here:

It appears to be a 10-28 thread, not a common pitch.

jtk

Jim,
Does the screw have an exact name? I've seen "locking screw for micro adjusting fence" which does not appear to be what I need. Given so many of these are missing I'm doubtful I'll ever find one but that won't keep me from trying. :0)

Mike Manning
08-12-2019, 1:41 PM
You might see IF nhplaneparts would have one....

I'll check with them next weekend Steven. Thanks for that reminder.

Jim Koepke
08-12-2019, 4:18 PM
Jim,
Does the screw have an exact name? I've seen "locking screw for micro adjusting fence" which does not appear to be what I need. Given so many of these are missing I'm doubtful I'll ever find one but that won't keep me from trying. :0)

One of my manuals lists it as, "Fence Arm Set Screw."

jtk

Mike Manning
08-12-2019, 8:01 PM
One of my manuals lists it as, "Fence Arm Set Screw."

jtk

Thanks for searching that out Jim. Much appreciated!

Jim Koepke
08-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Thanks for searching that out Jim. Much appreciated!

Your welcome, glad to be of help.

jtk

Joe Tilson
08-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Congratulations on both counts! Hey, you got a whopper of a deal both ways. WOW!!

Mike Manning
09-06-2019, 1:05 PM
Hit a nearby estate sale this morning about 2 hours after it started, a few decent finds...WoodRiver No 4-1/2 smoothing plane, WoodRiver standard block plane, Eclipse style plane iron sharpening jig and the 3M Peltor Sport earmuffs. In all it was less than a Grant. The planes have a pretty good dusting of surface rust but look almost unused. The plane irons are already sitting in some Evaporust.

Jim Koepke
09-06-2019, 3:11 PM
Hit a nearby estate sale this morning about 2 hours after it started

Not bad, but it makes me wonder what the early birds took home. Then again, maybe none of them were looking for woodworking tools.

jtk

Mike Manning
09-06-2019, 4:24 PM
Not bad, but it makes me wonder what the early birds took home. Then again, maybe none of them were looking for woodworking tools.

jtk

Could be Jim. Although, I didn't really see much evidence the guy was a woodworker beyond the planes and sharpening jig. Did finally locate his whetstone. When I asked her how much they wanted for the block plane before answering she said "oh, there's another plane here somewhere". I pointed out that I was holding in my other hand? Apparently, the previous owner was an electrical engineer. The planes were far and above the highest quality tools in the garage. But I do wish now I had asked just out of curiosity. :0)

Jim Koepke
09-06-2019, 4:45 PM
But I do wish now I had asked just out of curiosity. :0)

One of my first questions is always about tools or more tools. It has lead me to some of my best encounters over the years.

Even in antique shops it has lead to some great deals. Many antique dealers know their competition. They also often work together to build up business. They know who deals in what and will even draw you a map if needed.

jtk

Mike Manning
11-25-2019, 5:11 PM
I've been looking for a Stanley No 71 router plane for about a year. Finally found one yesterday via Craigslist. Appears to be a type 7 in pretty darn good condition for a 100 plus year old plane. There is a tight hairline crack in the left hand knob. The previous owner added the walnut base. The pics are as found. Clean up won't require much. Now to see if I can find the 1/4" and v-shape cutters.

Eric Danstrom
11-25-2019, 8:08 PM
Nice find!

...Now to see if I can find the 1/4" and v-shape cutters.

The Lee Valley/Veritas cutters fit if you flip the depth adjuster. I wasnt able to find originals and these are reasonably priced and available.

Jim Koepke
11-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Nice find!

The Lee Valley/Veritas cutters fit if you flip the depth adjuster. I wasnt able to find originals and these are reasonably priced and available.

They fit my Sargent copy of the #71 so well, a set of the imperial sizes were purchased.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
11-26-2019, 12:06 AM
Nice finds indeed!!!! Good haul.