PDA

View Full Version : Budget Jointer and Bandsaw options?

John Nicoletti
07-26-2019, 1:07 PM
About 2 years ago, I decided to dive deep into DIY/Woodworking. By no means am I attempting to become a full time woodworker, it's more-so a hobby that I have found to thoroughly enjoy. The concept of just getting lost in a project, where all that is on my mind is the piece of wood I'm working with and the tool I'm using I find to but relaxing! I've slowly been acquiring the necessary shop-style machinery to make projects happen. Up next on my hit list is a jointer and a bandsaw.

Since I'm not looking to go professional; I'm also not looking to drop a ton of money. I was looking at either the Grizzly GP0814 or the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer. They are pretty similar in price and look to be pretty similar in size. The major differences I see is that the Grizzly table is a little bit wider and is a full-fledged cabinet. It also comes on casters too, which is a MUST for my garage not that large and move things around often). However, putting the Ridgid on wheels wouldn't be all that difficult either...

Is there any major difference which would sway me towards one over the other? I do plan to upgrade the cutter head (eventually) to a spherical model. I know Byrd makes one for the Ridgid, haven't confirmed for the Grizzly yet though.

In regards to a bandsaw, I was also looking at Grizzly, this time the G0555LA35, 14" saw which seems to be a lot of saw for a great price. Any comments on this particular model or one you may recommend other than this, for a similar price point?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Kees
07-26-2019, 7:06 PM
John if you are looking to buy tools on a budget ,look used. There are tons of 14"Delta bandsaws around. Also not sure if the jointer you are looking at is 6" wide but if it is,they are the easiest size to find used as well.

Matthew Hills
07-26-2019, 7:59 PM
What tools are you currently using, and what types of projects are you gearing up for?
This will affect the tool recommendations.

Mike's advice to buy used is good, assuming you have a viable local market for used equipment...

I'd probably recommend against planning to update a 6" jointer to a helical head, unless you are only working with narrow boards.
I did have a 6" jointer that I got a lot of use out of. I'd bought it used (even had a member from a forum offer to come out and help me check it out), so that worked on multiple counts. I switched to a (used) 12" jointer/planer combo this past year, but that required some saving to be ready for.

Grizzly G0555 was a very popular recommendation for a value bandsaw some years ago, but the Rikon offerings seem to be getting more recommendations these days.
If buying used, I think it is ideal if you can buy from an owner who has it already tuned up, as they are more fiddly than a table saw.

Matt

John Nicoletti
07-26-2019, 11:02 PM
John if you are looking to buy tools on a budget ,look used. There are tons of 14"Delta bandsaws around. Also not sure if the jointer you are looking at is 6" wide but if it is,they are the easiest size to find used as well.

Thanks, Mike. The problem with used for me is there aren’t many in my area. My options are either destroyed rusted out hunks of steel or higher end equipment for a higher price. For example, a 1HP power metic for $800 used....I’d rather buy new for that price.

What tools are you currently using, and what types of projects are you gearing up for?
This will affect the tool recommendations.

Mike's advice to buy used is good, assuming you have a viable local market for used equipment...

....I switched to a (used) 12" jointer/planer combo this past year, but that required some saving to be ready for.

Matt

I currently have a Delta 36-725 tablesaw, dewalt 735x (just got it!), ryobi 10” sliding miter and a mix of ryobi and Milwaukee cordless tools. I primarily am looking at furniture projects (bed for the kid, night stands, eventually a dining table and outdoor patio table).

At the moment, I was looking to score the bandsaw to make lap joints easier. However I’m wondering if it makes more sense to pickup a dado stack and do it that way for now, and then get the bandsaw in the future, when a larger need arises.

Mike Kees
07-26-2019, 11:21 PM
John not trying to sway you one way or the other,only you can decide how to spend your money. My experience was I bought a 6" Delta jointer and a 12'' potable planer new,cost me about $1100 twenty years ago. I could easily find both of those for $500 used. I discovered when I sold those tools that I lost a bunch of precious cash. Often since then when I sell used tools to move on to bigger stuff I now make money. This strategy has allowed me to build a shop of my dreams over the last twenty years. If I bought everything in my shop new,there is absolutely no way I would have been able to get to where I am now. YMMV.

Bill Dufour
07-26-2019, 11:39 PM
If you live in USA or Canada I would look for used machines. I kniow New Zealand is a lot less used stuff on the market. Other countries I have no idea.
Where do you live? Are there any major sellers who will ship to your location?
Bill D.

Frederick Skelly
07-27-2019, 7:36 AM
If you want new, Woodcraft is offering 15% off on all Rikon tools from august 9 - 18. I have a couple of their tools and like them. (I have no affiliation with Woodcraft or Rikon.)
Fred

Rob Luter
07-27-2019, 7:52 AM
I just purchased a Rikon 10-326 Bandsaw (https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-326) and will be setting it up today and tomorrow. For my money it's a well made and full featured saw. I'm looking forward to using it.

Frederick Skelly
07-27-2019, 8:13 AM
I just purchased a Rikon 10-326 Bandsaw (https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-326) and will be setting it up today and tomorrow. For my money it's a well made and full featured saw. I'm looking forward to using it.

I'll bet you'll like it. I have the previous model (10-325?) and it does everything I ask of it. Enjoy!

glenn bradley
07-27-2019, 10:03 AM
John, Congrats on upping your game. What you plan to do and what space you have to do it in will contribute directly to your machine selection. We can't always take the better path due to budget, space or shared space restrictions. I will be a little more abrupt and try to save you the lost money I experienced so please don't think I'm a jerk. People told me the same things in the same polite manner and I didn't listen. Result? Lost cash.

Sorry your area doesn't offer a good used market. There are folks taking the loss on their 6" jointers on a pretty regular basis in the used market most places. They are almost always out there and if I had to drive for a few hours round trip to save a few hundred bucks I would do it. Unless your projects use fairly small pieces of hardwood, a 6" jointer will plague you. I survived with a planer-sled while I waited on a larger machine. A planer-sled takes a few hours to build and lasts for . . . well . . . 12 years so far for me IIRC.

Also, I would add a spiral head to a 6" jointer only for the purpose of making some sort of task-specific sort of workstation. The need for the cutterhead in a narrow machine doesn't make much sense to me and what I do (but, you are not me :)). To be even more blunt, adding a spiral head "later" is a false economy. The savings and const effectiveness of spiral heads is well documented. Buy once, cry once ;-)

The defacto standard cast iron 14" bandsaw is a good choice. Again, these are generally available used if you widen your search base. There are many after-market goodies for the 14" cast iron format so tuning things up is pretty easy. The downside of the Grizzly (and I like my Grizzly tools) is that for $800 you are still at a 1 horsepower machine with almost no resaw capacity. For another 100 bucks (don't you hate that statement) a Rikon 10-324 gets you 1-1/2 HP and over a foot of resaw height (if you're patient).

It is always easy to spend someone else's money and that is not my intention. I just wish folks hadn't been so polite when trying to steer me away from spending almost the amount of money for a better solution when I bought my first few tools (all gone now, at a loss, of course). I am just trying to save you from that expensive in-between step if you can make that happen.

Chris Schoenthal
07-27-2019, 10:33 AM
With your tablesaw, you could forgo getting a jointer for a while by building a jointing sled. I have a small 6" benchtop and find I use the sled more often.

Brian Holcombe
07-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Good used tools, there is never anything local to me I just pay to have it shipped.

Patrick Kane
07-27-2019, 2:28 PM
I hate to pile on, but I am strongly in the used camp as well. Like Mike, I typically make money off selling my tools when I upgrade. Also like Mike, I would have tools 1/4 as nice if I strictly purchased new.

A 6” jointer should be pretty easily had in the $300 range. I think I bought that same 6” rigid model many years ago for $250. Had the Dewalt 735 too, also purchased used but it was new in box. I think all told I was in for about $550-600, and building furniture. 6” jointers aren’t ideal, but if you are careful you can run them without the guard and surface a 8-9” board pretty well. It creates a lip that you need to take off with a hand plane or build a little jig for your planer. There are definitely work arounds for working with a 6” machine.

I would really try to get one of the steel frame 14” machines. Either rikon or laguna. Resawing is something I find myself doing about 50% of the time at my bandsaw and 6” would never cut it.

You didn’t say, I don’t think, but what is your budget? Where are you located?

Michelle Rich
07-27-2019, 2:43 PM
I like you, have no machine market in my area. Used tools are unknown here. So I had to buy new. Don't regret it. Had warranties and I'm not a machinist nor do I want to fool around with rusty stuff that needs bearings. I have a griz 555 and it is a good simple machine. I upgraded to a rikon 325 2 yrs ago for resawing. Great bandsaw. I have a 35 yr old 6" delta cast iron floor model jointer, built like a tank. And recently because I hate sharpening the jointer blades and reinstalling, I bought a table model 8 inch Cutech jointer. WOW what a finish those carbide inserts give. You have so many choices in the machinery market today than I had 35 yrs ago, I am jealous ...the rigid, griz, and rikon are great tools for homeowner type work

Alex Zeller
07-27-2019, 4:37 PM
Like most I have a very small used tool market. Either they are near the price of new (recently was a guy trying to liquidate his shop (mostly Grizzly tools) for the same price as new (just minus the shipping and tax). But the few things that come up on Craig's list if I widen my search is 6" jointers and older Delta 14" bandsaws.

I'm firmly in the camp of spend money on what you want and then save up for the enxt piece vs buying multiple pieces that are barely going to fit your needs. Buying new to sell down the road because it didn't fit what you needed is always a money looser. Of course only you know what you are going to do.

A coworker loves to make small boxes. Mostly ornate jewelry boxes that are not much bigger than 6"x12". A nice 12" jointer would just take up way too much room in his shop and have too much capacity. If he came here asking advice and wasn't 100% clear as to what he does the advice he would be given wouldn't come close to what he would need. I know it's not easy to try and see into the future when you are just picking up a hobby but try to envision what you think you will want to do and then worry about funding it (as I said maybe buying one piece now and a year or so baying a second piece vs buying two pieces).

Scott Bernstein
07-27-2019, 5:11 PM
I started building furniture as a hobby about 6 years ago. I purchased a Grizzly 6" jointer with a helical head once I had a couple projects under my belt and felt like I needed to "up my game". At the time I felt like I did not want to spend very much and I had no 220V outlets in my garage workshop. I looked briefly at the bigger size jointers and felt intimidated by the need for 220V, the size, and price of those larger machines. I was happy with the 6" jointer for a while until I realized how small it was. Most of the boards I was buying were more than 6" in width and I was having to use a jig for my planer or rip boards before jointing them. Eventually I bought a 220 V bandsaw and had an electrician install 3 220V outlets. So about 2 years after purchasing the 6" jointer I gave it away to a family member and purchased (invested, more accurately) a 16" European jointer/planer combo machine. If I had to do it over again, I still think I would have bought a small jointer first. I would not have been ready for the machine I have now just starting out.

So I think a 6" machine is great for developing skill and comfort in using a jointer, but that size is indeed very limiting. If at all possible, and you have 220V power available, consider saving a little while longer until you can obtain an 8" unit. If you do not have 220V power now, either purchase the 6" machine - knowing that an upgrade is in the future - or keep saving and use a jointing jig with your planer for now.

Marc Jeske
07-27-2019, 6:17 PM
John - Post your location please.

I vote for quality used.

How do you feel about the used (in ready to go condition, not basket case) option ?

As far as the Griz vs Ridgid - The table length difference is a major consideration.

72" vs 45" at quick glance.

Marc

Matthew Hills
07-27-2019, 7:13 PM
How long are the boards you are joining with lap joints?

A dado stack is a possible approach, but you will get a cleaner cut if you use a tenoning jig. You can make one that rides on your fence. (Or another opportunity to look for a used tool:-).

Matt

John Nicoletti
07-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Hey everyone, thank you so much for the feedback! I appreciate everyone’s honesty and sharing your experiences! Im going to try respond to everyone’s main posts, so here we go!

I live in Orange County, NY. The used market spanning upwards of 50miles from where I live, is either a pile of rust or big machines that are only $200 lower than brand new

It is always easy to spend someone else's money and that is not my intention. I just wish folks hadn't been so polite when trying to steer me away from spending almost the amount of money for a better solution when I bought my first few tools (all gone now, at a loss, of course). I am just trying to save you from that expensive in-between step if you can make that happen.

So are you suggesting to save a little extra and buy big or to start cheap/used and work my way up?

How long are the boards you are joining with lap joints?

A dado stack is a possible approach, but you will get a cleaner cut if you use a tenoning jig. You can make one that rides on your fence. (Or another opportunity to look for a used tool:-).

Matt

Board lengths are maybe 37-40” long. The lap joint would be about 2” on each end.

I hate to pile on, but I am strongly in the used camp as well. Like Mike, I typically make money off selling my tools when I upgrade. Also like Mike, I would have tools 1/4 as nice if I strictly purchased new....

You didn’t say, I don’t think, but what is your budget? Where are you located?

I’m not sure I understand having less nice tools if you bought new? Is this due to new tools costing more vs used tools in your area?

I was ideally trying to stay around the $600-700 range for each tool but it looks like that’s not feasible for a bandsaw.

...I bought a table model 8 inch Cutech jointer. WOW what a finish those carbide inserts give. You have so many choices in the machinery market today than I had 35 yrs ago, I am jealous ...the rigid, griz, and rikon are great tools for homeowner type work

How do you like that cutech? Just learning about it...could be a huge win for the space issue and then being an 8”. However, I’m nervous of the teflon table vs cast iron and also the trueness of the table/extension wings. Any feedback on it is appreciated!

John - Post your location please.

I vote for quality used.

How do you feel about the used (in ready to go condition, not basket case) option ?

As far as the Griz vs Ridgid - The table length difference is a major consideration.

72" vs 45" at quick glance.

Marc

The Griz table is 47” not 72”. Perhaps looking at the wrong model? I’m not opposed to used if it’s in good condition. One issue, however, is getting it home. I don’t have a pickup or a trailer. I do have an SUV though...and the location is posted at the top of this post.

Thank you all again, this has been very helpful!

glenn bradley
07-27-2019, 11:39 PM
So are you suggesting to save a little extra and buy big or to start cheap/used and work my way up?

Again, what is right for me may not be right for you. In milling lumber true and square I require a jointed face first. This is the reference surface for my edge jointing. It is the reference surface for my thickness planing, resawing, etc. Since much of what I make requires glue-ups to create wider panels I prefer to face joint three 7" boards rather than four 5-1/2" boards (for example). This makes the wider jointer important to me.

So, if it were me I would save a bit longer and go straight to an 8" machine. I still use a planer sled for 10" or 12" boards for the times that comes into play; wide drawer faces, resawing veneer, etc. It is true that you can edge joint on a tablesaw as long as you already have a true face to reference from. With a 6" jointer, 6" will be the width limit for face jointing, without tricks, on the jointer. There are workarounds for a jointer that is narrower than the board you need to joint. I prefer the planer sled and planer to taking the pork chop off of the jointer. YMMV.

Mike Kees
07-28-2019, 1:27 AM
John one thing that I have found if you want good used tools you have to be willing to travel. Expand your radius to like 2-300 miles. Most of my used tools have come from Calgary,this is about 300 km away from me. I have driven much further . I would rather buy a machine that has been used and had the kinks worked out than have to deal with customer service/warranty issues. Also I can put my hands on and check out the machine personally before money changes hands. Good stuff is out there and being found by those who are willing to put in the effort.

Michelle Rich
07-28-2019, 8:16 AM
More info you requested about the cutech. First my old delta 6" cast iron jointer's bed length is SHORTER than the cutech's with wings extended. The cutech is a tabletop model, and no , I would not joint a 12 ft 2x10 on it, but for furniture/ small projects I think it is the cat's pajamas. I have relegated my old delta 6" to the storage room , just in case. Easier to roll the little cutech around the shop to give myself room to assemble big projects. whatever you decide, make it fun and enjoy creating things of beauty for yourself and your loved ones

John Nicoletti
07-28-2019, 9:13 AM
More info you requested about the cutech. First my old delta 6" cast iron jointer's bed length is SHORTER than the cutech's with wings extended. The cutech is a tabletop model, and no , I would not joint a 12 ft 2x10 on it, but for furniture/ small projects I think it is the cat's pajamas. I have relegated my old delta 6" to the storage room , just in case. Easier to roll the little cutech around the shop to give myself room to assemble big projects. whatever you decide, make it fun and enjoy creating things of beauty for yourself and your loved ones

Thanks, Michelle! Is yours the Teflon bed? Any issues with it? Also, would it be possible to joint a 2x6x84 on it or is it not long enough with the extensions?

Marc Jeske
07-29-2019, 2:46 AM
14" Delta bandsaw $400 . plus other tools - pretty fair prices

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/d/englewood-woodworking-shop/6927719507.html

I am actually w only 10 minutes glancing around a few CL's near OP... finding quite abit... Delta/ Rockwell, powermatic. jet, etc

Quite a bit to choose from around Orange county, NY.

another - in OP back yard - https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/d/pawling-woodworking-jointer/6943771847.html

Zac wingert
07-29-2019, 4:56 AM
The tools in in the first craigslist post look better than anyone could wish for.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/d/englewood-woodworking-shop/6927719507.html

I am actually w only 10 minutes glancing around a few CL's near OP... finding quite abit... Delta/ Rockwell, powermatic. jet, etc

another - in OP back yard - https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/d/pawling-woodworking-jointer/6943771847.html

Rich Engelhardt
07-29-2019, 5:12 AM
I tried the used route.
All I found was overpriced junk or stuff located a couple/three hour drive away or broken equipment - plus, I looked for a couple years for stuff to come along. Add to it the fact that I don't know the equipment well enough to know what's broken and what's decent.

For me - it just ain't worth it.

David Buchhauser
07-29-2019, 7:15 AM
I tried the used route.
All I found was overpriced junk or stuff located a couple/three hour drive away or broken equipment - plus, I looked for a couple years for stuff to come along. Add to it the fact that I don't know the equipment well enough to know what's broken and what's decent.

For me - it just ain't worth it.

I agree with Rich. Even though I do have the expertise to repair used equipment, I choose to buy new to avoid the "head aches' that are sometimes associated with "previously owned equipment".
I like Grizzly - most bang for the buck! But there are many other vendors who supply quality new equipment as well.
David

Bill Carey
07-29-2019, 8:33 AM
Thanks, Michelle! Is yours the Teflon bed? Any issues with it? Also, would it be possible to joint a 2x6x84 on it or is it not long enough with the extensions?

Thx for starting this thread John - I'm in about the same situation as you are. And am looking forward to any info Michelle can share about the Cutech.

John Nicoletti
07-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Thanks for searching that, and I have been keeping a closer eye on postings spanning through NJ and CT now.

Call me crazy but in either instance of what you posted...a new bandsaw or jointer can be had for $200 more...? Plus, regarding the delta, we have no idea of the model or specs (HP)? Granted I”m assuming and comparing it to a new Grizzly 1HP. Taking into consideration that they give no information - that price for either of them...might as well go new IMO and getting It shipped then trying to figure out how to lug that hunk of metal home haha.

Since I’m also starting out, should there be any issues with the equipment, I’ll spend more time learning how to fix it than actually being productive with it. Just my 2 cents.

Marc Jeske
07-29-2019, 9:11 PM
The Griz jointer was not a steal.. just an example.

The band saw is a fair deal and a very well known saw.

Everyone has different preferences and should go the direction they feel best.

I for example have a very strong lean toward USA made "Old Arn", and am very prejudiced against asian made tools, or anything else given a choice.

In your shoes you clearly have a preference for new... that's the route you should go.

You said there is nothing available around you but junk and rust.

What you see is what it is.

Marc

Michelle Rich
07-30-2019, 1:57 PM
Thx for starting this thread John - I'm in about the same situation as you are. And am looking forward to any info Michelle can share about the Cutech.

hi fellas: I've had the cutech for 6 mos? I haven't used it heavily, but I have used it quite a bit with hardwoods. The teflon appears to be slick and no marring yet. I did lots of research before buying the cutech and found no bad reviews. The guts have been around for years and have proved to be quite tough. Cutech is just the latest company to use the design , but added the carbide heads...and they are a wonderment in my book. The fact I could get a whole jointer and even a whole planer with the heads for less than a Dewalt 735 replacement head, or a head for my delta, cinched it for me. No complaints at all. I still use my old delta 6 inch for knarly wood like nasty 2x4's for construction, and the cutech is for furniture making. As for your big piece of long wood question, I think you might build the cutech into a benchtop with wood wings (like a mitersaw ext) ..it would help you keep it flatter than trying to balance it .

Alex Zeller
07-30-2019, 2:46 PM
Just posting a link to an ad on Craig's list is flawed. Often if I find a good deal (I've been looking for an open ended drum sander) they are gone in hours while the post stays for days or even weeks. I've only been successful getting one thing off of Craig's list and it was because the seller posted an incorrect phone number and couldn't be reached. I actually had to post an ad asking him to contact me. I'm thinking it's more likely to be successful to post an ad with what you are looking for and how much you're willing to pay in hopes someone thinking of selling but not willing to go through the work of actually selling.

Bill Carey
07-30-2019, 3:01 PM
Thanks Michelle - I think I'll give it a try. I rarely use anything even 5' long so this may work wonders. And it will certainly be an improvement over using the planer sled.

John Nicoletti
08-02-2019, 11:38 AM
After everyone suggestions in the thread, I am now torn between the highest end Cutech or the G0814 + spiral head (additional). It is about a $500 difference after shipping ($519 vs $1,077). The cutech gets me the 8” cut capacity however I hear the fence isn’t great regarding parallel and I don’t know how good the extension wings will be.

However the G0814 is harder to swallow due to cost, considering it’s a 6”. But I feel like that’s a “real” jointer and in my head I’ll always be questioning the decision if I went with the Cutech.

Thoughts?

Michelle Rich
08-02-2019, 12:38 PM
I have no issue with the fence. solid and has kept where I set it. Maybe folks are tougher on tools than I. The wings are locked solid. they have not flexed when I use them. But each person has different likes and dislikes and what they think is necessary to work wood.
As I suggested above, if you want long wood jointed, you could make wings like on a miter saw on top of a bench to get you more landing zone. If you think you need to hog off 1/4 per pass the cutech is not for you. Hope you find what you want.

John Nicoletti
08-02-2019, 2:21 PM
If you think you need to hog off 1/4 per pass the cutech is not for you. Hope you find what you want.

Not at all! I’m more of a minimalist. Small and steady...

Another criticism I’ve heard of the cutech is that it does excellent face jointing but not so great edge jointing. Can you speak on that. I would be edge jointing quite a bit so that’s another factor I’m weighing.

Thanks so much for you input!

Bill Carey
08-02-2019, 3:17 PM
I have the 8" with carbide cutters, no teflon, being delivered Monday. Give me a day or 2 and I'll give you my first impressions. BTW, I called Cutech and asked them if I hated it could I return it. The guy laughed and said that has only happened twice that he knows of and if I wanted to be the third, I could. No problem.

John Nicoletti
08-02-2019, 3:53 PM
I have the 8" with carbide cutters, no teflon, being delivered Monday. Give me a day or 2 and I'll give you my first impressions. BTW, I called Cutech and asked them if I hated it could I return it. The guy laughed and said that has only happened twice that he knows of and if I wanted to be the third, I could. No problem.

Thanks for the info, Bill!

Michelle Rich
08-03-2019, 5:15 AM
I don't understand your question, I think. What do you mean edge jointing is poor.? Not 90 degrees? Trying to use a very wide board against a small fence and it tips? I have no issues doing edge jointing. I'm not trying to do big wood. I am using wood appropriate to the size of the machine. Have you watched youtube videos on this unit? If you are trying to use wood too big for comfort on this cutech, yes you will be disappointed. The negative info you are getting is from a much trusted source who knows what they are doing? I have made my living for over 35 yrs with a contractors saw, and a 6" old delta jointer. I am not a tool fanatic. I am a tool user. Now in my retirement, I still make furniture, and this cutech is good for me. I make chairs, small tables, etc. NOT huge farm tables or say big built-ins. I think you might want to seriously ask yourself what you will make. If I were to make lots of farm tables and big furniture, this cutech would not be my choice. I jointed wood for years with a handplane. The tools available for you today, really make woodworking so much easier.

John Nicoletti
08-03-2019, 8:28 AM
I don't understand your question, I think. What do you mean edge jointing is poor.? Not 90 degrees? Trying to use a very wide board against a small fence and it tips? I have no issues doing edge jointing.

Apparently the quality of the edge joint/cut is not the greatest and they were attributing that to the fact that the spiral cutter isn’t a “true” helical cutter and does not have enough cutting blades on it. However, face jointing, and the wood comes out like glass.

I'm not trying to do big wood. I am using wood appropriate to the size of the machine. Have you watched youtube videos on this unit? If you are trying to use wood too big for comfort on this cutech, yes you will be disappointed.

Oh, I’ve watched probably too many YT videos on a bunch of jointers, including this one. Unfortunately, being a beginner and having never used one of these before, I don’t know what is appropriate for the size of the machine. My goals are typical house furniture (for myself...not looking to do this as a job or for commissioned work). However, an ultimate goal of mine is an indoor dining and outdoor dining table. I’m not sure if that classified as too big for the machine? Then again, the grizzly I was looking at is a 48” table, which technically is 3” shorter than the cutech with extension wings....so what spec determines what the machine is really capable of?

The negative info you are getting is from a much trusted source who knows what they are doing? I have made my living for over 35 yrs with a contractors saw, and a 6" old delta jointer. I am not a tool fanatic. I am a tool user. Now in my retirement, I still make furniture, and this cutech is good for me. I make chairs, small tables, etc. NOT huge farm tables or say big built-ins. I think you might want to seriously ask yourself what you will make. If I were to make lots of farm tables and big furniture, this cutech would not be my choice. I jointed wood for years with a handplane. The tools available for you today, really make woodworking so much easier.

I was never doubting your opinion or abilities and commend your history in the craft! These opinions came from other posts online from other communities where people voiced their opinion to someone (not myself) asking about the cutech.

Thank you!

Mike Kees
08-03-2019, 4:41 PM
John,you have received a lot of good advice in this thread .At some point you will just have to make a decision on what you buy. I sincerely hope you are happy with whatever you end up with. If not you can always sell it and move on. Good luck.

Bill Carey
08-04-2019, 3:35 PM
This oughta test the Cutech. I'll let you know how it handles this red oak.

Mark Rainey
08-04-2019, 4:13 PM
Nice prep work Bill. What is your longest length of oak? I will awaiting your review. Will the Cutech 8 inch jointer be the equivalent to the Dewalt planer?

Bill Carey
08-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Cutech 8" carbide cutter jointer review. Disclaimer: I have not used a jointer since I was at the Washburn Carpenters Apprentice school in 1967. So I probably did a bunch of things wrong in terms of using the Cutech. And I am going to copy this review and send it to Cutech. If they respond, I'll post it here.

Took me longer to unbox it than it did to assemble it - all that was needed was to attach the fence. All of 5 minutes. Before doing anything in the way of setup I put a square on the fence and it was dead on 90.

Hooked up a 4" dust collection and turned it on - 81 decibels running with out any load on it. My dust collector runs at 70 decibels so this thing is pretty quiet. Started in on flattening and squaring the chair parts I bucked out a few days ago and this little jointer had no problems at all. I ran it almost non stop for 2 hours and got everything done that would have taken me day(s?) with a planer sled and TS.
413875 413876

Every board came out looking really nice - square with a very nice finish. I only had 2 boards that were off: this one in the pic below, and flattening one of the 4'-6" legs. It had a pretty big bow in it and I started with the concave side down and it would drop when the end of the board cleared the extension wing. Probably should have gone with the convex side down.

The dust collection was outstanding as you can see from the pic below, taken after a couple of hours of use.

PLus and minus:
1. The fence is pretty short and when doing the legs if I was not pushing straight it came off the fence pretty quickly. I have a an 8/4 piece of red oak, 6' long, that I'll try to joint later today. But I think that is past the limit of what this machine is made for.
2. The fence flexes at the ends, which is probably why they made it so short. Not a big issue to me, I just modified the way I was using it and the result was fine.
3. Moving it for storage. The only way to lift this is by the ends of the tables - and I have to think that lifting it enough times by the table is going to cause alignment issues. So I'll bolt it to a plywood base with handles for carrying it.
4. Motor never bogged down or sounded strained at taking an 1/8 of a piece of 5" wide red oak.
5. I thought it would be too high when on a bench, put it was actually pretty comfortable to use it at that height.
6. I have some thoughts on a new fence, but it might void the warranty. I have options since I will never use this for anything but 90 degree cuts.
7. Everything is adjustable, easily. The fence, the beds, the extension.
8. Was not clamped to the bench, and it did not move around at all, no tipping, sliding, etc.

For what I do this jointer will be fine. Would it be fun to have a Hammer - of course. And if you know where I can get one for 440 bucks let me know. This is quiet, powerful, easy to use, came out of the box dead on. Fence is the only issue. All in all I'm very happy with it. It will serve me well, and for bigger stock I have the old planer sled and TS routine to fall back on.
413883 413884

Mark Rainey
08-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Good review Bill.

John Nicoletti
08-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Bill,

Thanks so much for the write up! Very well done and in depth!

I feel like the Cutech may be the sweet spot for me now. It gets me The 8” width and also has the small foot print for my smaller sized shop.

You mentioned that you think a 6’ board is pushing this machine. To clarify, this is because of the 51” length? Therefore, even if I had a cabinet style Grizzly with only a 48” table, it would pose the same problem?

Bill Carey
08-07-2019, 12:17 AM
Hey John - it's not so much the length of the wood as it is the shortness of the fence, which is only 19 5/8". So its a very small area to press the board against while edging it, and a long board kinda wants to pivot on that short fence. When I was edge jointing the legs (red oak, 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 54" it was a hassle to keep the flat jointed face against the fence. It got done and it came out fine, square and all, but a grizzly fence is 10" longer and more solid so edging would be easier on that. Surfacing the face of the boards was fine, and it left a very nice finish. Not having used a jointer in 52 years means my technique is a whole lot rusty, so that plays a part as well. For me this machine does what I need, doesn't take up a lot of space, is portable and I saved a couple of hundred bucks. Bob's your uncle. Also, for me, it's not about the machine. Its a dinky little machine that Hammer owners will laugh at but so what. I'll be able to build some very nice things with it and that's all that matters.

Michelle Rich
08-07-2019, 5:19 AM
good review, Bill, and I concur with your review after having one myself, except I have not had any issues with my fence . Maybe I don't push as hard? Maybe I don't use the fence much, except for edge jointing? Dunno. You did not mention the finish..it is astounding, in my book.

Bill Carey
08-07-2019, 9:42 AM
........ You did not mention the finish..it is astounding, in my book.

My mistake for not emphasizing it Michelle - yes, the finish is great. I expected to have to run both sides thru the planer but the way the Cutech leaves the surface I can resaw to thickness and have only that resawn side to plane. The other thing worth repeating is how quiet it is. It only adds 10 decibels to the noise my dust collector makes, bringing it to about 80. Don't even need ear protection. (but that's just me - all you kids out there muff up, ok?) After all the concerts I went to in the 60's and 70's, 80 decibels is sleepy time.

Michelle, you ever use it for anything other than surfacing and squaring? Anything other than 90 degrees?

Matthew Hills
08-07-2019, 10:25 AM
When initially jointing a board that has significant curvature, I don't run the board through normally; instead I focus on just passing the high spots over the cutterhead. The full-length runs come as I get closer. (almost like using an upside-down hand plane) This might be a bit easier for the short beds.

Matt

Bill Carey
08-07-2019, 6:23 PM
Thx Matt - I'll give that a try