PDA

View Full Version : Wrought Iron Front Door Refinish

Anthony Spotorno
07-25-2019, 11:40 PM
I have a double door entry made out of Wrought Iron that I need to refinish. The original paint job only lasted about 2 years before showing rust spots, streaks... These doors are crazy heavy, so I want something that will last.

There are some spots where they must have used bondo to fill in gaps between the different ornamental area's that need to be fixed.

The original color was flat black with a slight copper sheen. I'm not sure how to duplicate this color. Would adding Pearl EX to some Rustoleum Oil Based Enamel flat black paint do the trick?

Is Rustoleum the best choice for painting them? Don't care about the cost, just something that will last for a long time.

Thanks.

Frederick Skelly
07-26-2019, 5:15 AM
Are they completely wrought iron? (No wood, etc?) If so, I bet that's some door - I'd love to see a picture!

My guess is that a door like that flexes ever so slightly when opened or closed, thereby causing very small cracks in the finish over time. If so, ideas like having it "dipped" instead of brush painted, or powder coated, may not be a lasting solution.

With that flex in mind, I had an idea, just as food for thought...... At one time, there were additives for automotive paint to help it flex - they were used for painting your "plastic" front and back bumpers. I would stop by an auto body shop (or call a paint mfgr like PPG) and ask if such a thing would work for you. Then ask what kind of prep is required, and whether it can be brushed on or if it must be sprayed.

Good luck!
Fred

Tom M King
07-27-2019, 9:34 AM
If cost doesn't matter, I'd use an industrial moisture cure urethane. The same stuff airplanes, and some water towers are painted with. An old name is Alumnagrip, but there are Many variations these days.