PDA

View Full Version : deck orientation

bobby klein
12-13-2005, 3:37 PM
I was wondering if a deck should have the wood laying parallel with the house or perpendicular with the house. I was laying out a design for my house and figured less waste if I laid it out perpendicular to the house. I can buy 12' boards and not have to cut them. Any one have a problem with the deck perpendicular? Thanks.

Travis Porter
12-13-2005, 3:45 PM
I don't think it matters if you have spacing for water to get through. For a front porch it should be perpendicular.

Randy Moore
12-13-2005, 3:51 PM
Bobby,

I have a deck at my get-away house and I have the wood running both directions.

It is up to you and what fits your needs.:)
Randy

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 3:54 PM
Often the undercarriage requirements and attachment to the house issues will dictate the layout.

Also makes a huge difference if you plan on shoveling any snow off it.

bobby klein
12-13-2005, 5:23 PM
It will be a front porch and I don't have to worry about snow. I'm in Florida. The only requirement would be that it doesn't blow away in a hurricane. I will stick to my original deck plan to have the boards running perpendicular. Thanks guys.

Dave Falkenstein
12-13-2005, 5:26 PM
I build decks in the summer. All of the decks I build have the decking parallel to the house. The structure under the deck typically uses a header attached to the house, a beam across grouted cinder block piers, and joists between the header and the beam fastened with Simpson hangers at both ends. There are numerous ways to build the supporting structure, but tieing the joists to a header on the house is my preferred method. I also think the looks are better with the decking parallel to the house, but that might be personal preference.

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 6:09 PM
How about the sun....or shade...or ufo's:rolleyes:

Howard Barlow
12-13-2005, 7:00 PM
The only requirement would be that it doesn't blow away in a hurricane.

Wouldn't that be a groundlevel slab?:D