PDA

View Full Version : Trouble removing cutter head from older Craftsman Jointer

Jason Brooks
07-25-2019, 2:36 PM
I have an older Craftsman Jointer model 113.206801 I recently purchased off Facebook marketplace. It’s a bit rusty and I’m trying to clean it all up. There are a set of retaining/snap rings between the Arbor Bearings and the cutter head that I simply can’t figure out how to get off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

michael langman
07-25-2019, 3:44 PM
Jason, Are their little holes in the snap rings for snap ring pliars.
If no holes for the snap ring pliars you will have to pry the rings apart with a screw driver or something.

Jason Brooks
07-25-2019, 4:28 PM
Jason, Are their little holes in the snap rings for snap ring pliars.
If no holes for the snap ring pliars you will have to pry the rings apart with a screw driver or something.

Yes there are, however my snap ring pliers are too large to get between the cutter head and the bearing. I have knocked the cutter head as far over as it will go. Do you think I need to take the in feed table off?

Lee Schierer
07-25-2019, 4:29 PM
There sre several types of snap rings. Look closely at your snap rings. They may be this type. 413212 if so they can be removed with ywo small flat dcrew drivers.

Dale Dumond
07-26-2019, 3:09 PM
Some of the snap ring pliers have interchangeable jaw heads and some of those heads are at a 90° angle to the plier which makes it easier to get into tight spots