PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0586 Jointer

Chris Dodge
12-13-2005, 2:40 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forums. I have a question. I just purchased the Grizzly G0586 Jointer and it is on backorder for a few months. So I have some time to think about the purchase. Fine Woodworking Magazine is pretty high in this jointer and I am wondering if anyone else is too.

Price is important but I want to get the most bang for my buck. I really can't afford anything over $800...well, actually I can but the wife won't go for it. Anyway, any input on this particular model would be very much appreciated.

Matt Tawes
12-13-2005, 2:53 PM
Hey Chris,

Sorry to hear that you have to wait for your new G0586. I actually ordered one last Tues. evening and it arrived Fri. While I have not finished setting it up yet due to pending projects for clients I intend to work on it this afternoon. This being my first machine from Grizzly (I've purchased other items from them) I must say that it is impressively made and attention is paid to every detail (certainly as good or better than my Jet jointer). Having looked at other models including Delta, Powematic, Jet I see the Grizzly as a fine machine for a fantastic value in comparison to others. Besides the the price the selling points for me were 4 knife head vs. 3, 2 HP motor wired for 220, upper mounted power controls and magnetic switch, the rack an pinion fence is nice too. From the reviews I've read and all of the boasting about the machine over on Woodnet forums the decision was simple for me when I was in the market to upgrade.

Chris Dodge
12-13-2005, 3:08 PM
You ordered it last Tuesday? Ouch! I was going to order it last week but had not quite convinced my wife of the need. Let me know how it performs as soon as you have it set up. Thanks for the reply!

Matt Tawes
12-13-2005, 3:12 PM
Yeah, I was impressed with the speed of shipping too but then it arived from the Muncy store store in PA and I'm only in MD. I'll be sure to post about the performance. The base did get a dent on the top corner and some paint flaking off (these mfrs. are forever shipping stuff like that in cardboard only) but the bed was in a crate and suffered not a scratch or anything lose.

Keith Foster
12-13-2005, 3:38 PM
I have several Grizzly tools in the garage and the G0586 is one of them - it's also my favorite. Setup was a breeze and the performance was right on directly out of the box (well, crate and box). There are quite a few folks out there with this unit and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it (monitoring this and another wood working web site). My take is that it's worth the wait.

Bill Fellmy
12-13-2005, 8:32 PM
A quick search for "GO586" will yield a lot of useful information for you if you haven't already done that.

Jim Dunn
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Wait a minute!!!!! Yu own a WW shop and had to convince your significant other that you needed a new jointer???? What about the tax write off? What about that customer that demands full size boards on the table top?? What------ Oh well, welcome to the Creek. Good to see that professionals need permission from their wives too.:)

Jim
PS it's exactly the kind of jointer I want too.

Shiraz Balolia
12-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Chris - containers are coming in on a weekly basis and the machines will be shipped in the priority that they were ordered. The demand exceeds the supply right now and the factory is making them as fast as they possibly can. If you want me to check exact timing, PM me with your order number and I will find out when the "boat's arriving" and where you are in the line. The good thing is that you ordered one before the end of Dec. and there is a price increase taking effect on Jan 1, 2006.
Thanks.

Keith Outten
12-14-2005, 6:53 AM
Please edit your signature lines folks, our Terms of Service specifically prohibit the use of links in signatures.

Lars Thomas
12-14-2005, 8:57 AM
Shiraz, can you elaborate of the pending price increase (particularly with respect to your new 8" jointer G0586). Thanks. Lars

Matt Tawes
12-14-2005, 9:15 AM
Hi Lars,

I'm sure Shiraz may elaborate further if I'm not correct. When I posed the question before ordering to Grizzly and on another forum I believe the reponse was that the price would only go up to something like $655 but the freight cost would go from $82.25 to $135 (in other words,total cost would be $790 vs. $707.25). Not a big deal but nonetheless If it were actually higher I felt better about ordering now. Besides with the 90 day same as cash deal and with the features this machine has its the best deal going compared to any other 8" jointer in my opinion.

Chris Dodge
12-14-2005, 7:46 PM
Shiraz, I PMed you with the order number. Thanks for the help!<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Keith, sorry for including the link in my signature. I guess I missed that rule. Can we at least show our site address without it auto linking? If not then I will gladly comply. I like these forums and would like to stay!

Jim, yes I had to ask permission on this one. It keeps her from buying anything outrageous without asking me. Its an agreement we have and it works for me.
<O:p</O:p

All, Thanks for your responses. It is much appreciated!<O:p</O:p

Chris Dodge
12-16-2005, 2:34 PM
Well I just got confirmation from Grizzly that my order shipped! I was originally told I wouldn't get it until March, then was told the beginning of February and now it has already shipped. Way to go Grizzly! and way to go Shiraz!! Thanks a lot!

Matt Tawes
12-16-2005, 2:53 PM
Hey Chris,

Great news, looks like you'll have one big gift under the tree to open afterall. I've still yet to fine tune mine. Actually just got mine on the base, switch and other stuff mounted the other night. Great to see Papa G. possibly pulled some strings to get it on the way.

Chris Dodge
12-21-2005, 4:29 PM
My jointer comes tomorrow and I need to know from anyone who has the G0586 jointer what the dimensions of the base are. I need a mobile base for it and want to buy the correct size. I checked the Grizzly site but did not see that info listed. Thanks for the info!

Kent Parker
12-21-2005, 4:48 PM
Chris,

Posting your business address in your signature line, active or not is not within the terms of service.

Congrates on the joiner purchase. Always like new metal in the shop:)

Regards,

Kent

Matt Tawes
12-21-2005, 6:59 PM
Hey Chris,

I'm not in the shop at the moment or I would measure mine but I do know that is is right around 16" x 24". I like the HTC 3000 series all welded mobile bases which I have on other equipment and ordered model #HPLB-8 for mine which will fit. It's on B/o now through Amazon so I'm using a plywood and corner caster base in the interim.

Chris Dodge
12-21-2005, 7:18 PM
Thanks Matt! I guess I will found out the size of the base for sure tomorrow morning.

scott kinninger
12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
It's right around 24 & 1/2 by 16 & 1/2 inches.

Chris Dodge
12-23-2005, 5:02 PM
Well it arrived! All was in good condition except the crate on one corner was missing/smashed and there was a small chip in the paint on one end. I'll see if I can get a sample of Grizzly Green from Grizzly to patch that up.

When the truck driver showed up his truck had no lift gate. He immediately asked, "How are you going to get this off of my truck?" I replied that technically it was his delivery until it was on the ground but I would gladly help him get it to the ground. The two of us manhandled this beast onto my driveway and then I waited for my 16 year old son (6'3" 225 lbs) to come home from school before we got it into the garage. I don't have it set up yet, I have two projects to finish for clients first but I look forward to trying this machine out. I'm excited!!

Jim Dunn
12-23-2005, 5:44 PM
Chris, is this an invisible gloat?? "Donna see na pixez'" Please post when you have time.

Merry ChristmasHanaKawansa

Jim

Chris Dodge
12-23-2005, 7:08 PM
Will do. Right now it is just a box and a broken crate. I'll post pictures in a week or so.

Merry Christmas!

Mark Rios
12-23-2005, 7:22 PM
According to the spec sheet on the Grizzly website the footprint for the Model G0586 8" joiinter is 16-3/4" x 23-1/2"

Keith Foster
12-24-2005, 11:01 AM
From personal experiance - Grizzly CS will be more than happy to ship you a small can of touch up paint at no charge. I've got both green and beige here at the shop (don't ask). :cool:

Just kidding - you can ask if you want to. Trust me, they'll take good care of you. Merry Christmas! :D

Joe Johnson
12-24-2005, 5:00 PM
I got my G0586 a couple of months ago. When I placed the order they asked if I wanted a lift gate truck for delivery for an extra $20 which I did. The driver had a pallet jack which we used to push the jointer into the garage. It was worth the extra $20.
Joe

Chris Dodge
12-27-2005, 1:36 PM
I got my G0586 a couple of months ago. When I placed the order they asked if I wanted a lift gate truck for delivery for an extra $20 which I did. The driver had a pallet jack which we used to push the jointer into the garage. It was worth the extra $20.
Joe

That's good to know for the future. I ordered online and don't recall being given the option of a lift gate. I just assumed they would deliver with one. Anyway, we got it out of the truck without too much trouble. I still have not set it up because I am swamped with woodworking. Hopefully one night this week I can take time off to get this piece together. I need it for the next project I start, an antique looking display cabinet for an antiques shop.

Tom Donalek
01-02-2006, 1:43 PM
I've been looking to add a jointer to my 'shop' (somewhere, somehow?). The Grizzly looks like a great value for the kind of work I'd like to do. My problem is that in my 100 year old building, the 'biggest' circuit available is 20A/120v. (The whole service for the building is 70A, and the wiring is such that adding circuits is not a real option until we do a serious overall upgrade.)

From the specs on this unit, I see that it can be wired for 120v, but draws 24A at that voltage. Would it be crazy to swap out the motor for one that wouldn't blow the 20A fuse and put the 'proper' motor back in when we are finally able to upgrade the electrical service.

Alternatively, is there a device out there that would 'throttle back' the current the device could draw to avoid blowing the fuse? (I'm obviously thinking of 'browning out' the device, rather than just killing it like a tripped breaker or blown fuse!) I've done some poking around on the web, but I guess that I don't know what I'm looking for or what this thing would be actually called. (I've found power or current limiting circuits or devices for audio equipment, but not for power tools!)

I understand that either 'solution' would limit how much 'work' the unit could do, but I'm not doing any real production work, and could live with making more, thinner cuts.

Aaron Petersen
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Shiraz,

Santa was generous this year and left me a check with which to purchase some new equipment. I'm looking at the G0586 and the G0513x2 BS. I see the temporary price reduction on the jointer, so I'm going to be placing an order today or tomorrow. You mention a price increase after the new year, however. Can you elaborate? Is it just on the jointer, or will the BS be included as well. The BS isn't on sale right now, so I was thinking about waiting for a sale. If the price is going up I may have to include the BS on my order.

Thanks,

Aaron

Randy Klein
12-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Aaron,

You realize this thread is almost 3 years old right? Funny though, because I hear there is also a price increase come Jan 2009.

Stephen Edwards
12-29-2008, 5:17 PM
That's good to know for the future. I ordered online and don't recall being given the option of a lift gate. I just assumed they would deliver with one. Anyway, we got it out of the truck without too much trouble. I still have not set it up because I am swamped with woodworking. Hopefully one night this week I can take time off to get this piece together. I need it for the next project I start, an antique looking display cabinet for an antiques shop.

Without the liftgate service it's the buyer's responsibility to get the machine off the truck. The driver's job is to get it to the back of the trailer. However, I think a lot of depends on the where you are and the driver's attitude.

I've bought two Grizzly machines this year, a BS and a jointer. I live on a dead end road with no where for a semi to turn around. In both cases I arranged to meet the driver about a mile from home. I backed my pick up to the back of the semi. I took a friend with me along with boards to make a ramp in order to "slide" the tools into my pickup bed. Didn't need them. In both cases the driver acted as if it were his responsibility to help me unload the tool. And indeed he did! He was very courteous, polite and helpful.

The tools were well packaged and there was no damage to the outside of the boxes. The jointer had a bent handle which I attribute to a packing issue. The instructions said to attach said handle to the fence. In fact, the handle was already attached to the fence. It was easy to see that in the normal jostling, to be expected when machines are handled so many times in transport, that the handle was bent because it was "bumped against" another part of the jointer, one of the tables if I remember correctly. No big deal....I was able to use it anyway until a free replacement handle arrived. I did mention to customer support about the conflict between the assembly instructions and the reality of that part already being attached. Perhaps that info was passed along to whomever solves such issues.

I think you'll be pleased with your jointer and with Grizzly customer service. I certainly have!

Jim Dunn
12-29-2008, 7:01 PM
You realize this thread is almost 3 years old right?

Randy did you have to remind us that we're another 3 years older:mad::p.

Paul Ryan
12-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Even though this is a very old thread I will add to it my experiences. I have also bought tools this year. A band saw from grizzly, and a Jet mortiser from CPO. Both of the tools were delivered by different freight companies. Both drivers were very helpful in unloading the machines. I live in the country and have a short 200 ft drive way, but the truck cannot turn around once in my driveway. Both drivers insisted on backing up my drive way and helping me unload the skids. That doesn't mean count on that kind of service but you will probably be just as lucky.