PDA

View Full Version : Prepare threaded rod and nut for epoxy

Rob Marshall
07-24-2019, 2:48 PM
Hi,

This is a follow-on to my other thread about using a coupling nut with a threaded rod for a leveling platform for a job-site table saw. I want to be able to use epoxy to permanently affix two nuts (one above and one below the platform with the table saw on it) to the threaded rod. What do I need to do to prepare the rod and nut so that the epoxy will best be able to bond to the material?

Thanks,

Rob

Jerome Stanek
07-24-2019, 3:41 PM
would locktite red work

Rob Marshall
07-24-2019, 4:23 PM
I already have some West Systems G/Flex epoxy which they say should work. But the threads appear to have some sort of lubricant on them which I assume needs to be removed where the nuts will get epoxied into place. I assume some sort of cleaner/solvent and toothbrush...

lowell holmes
07-24-2019, 5:09 PM
I would experiment to see how it works.

David Buchhauser
07-24-2019, 5:40 PM
I already have some West Systems G/Flex epoxy which they say should work. But the threads appear to have some sort of lubricant on them which I assume needs to be removed where the nuts will get epoxied into place. I assume some sort of cleaner/solvent and toothbrush...

Hi Rob,
I would recommend cleaning the parts with lacquer thinner. Pour some of the lacquer thinner into a jar, then put the nuts and the ends of the rods into the jar and use a small brush to thoroughly clean them. I would use Loctite blue 242 thread locker to attach the nuts to the rods. The 242 is removable just in case you need to make some changes later.
David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1RSNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_
s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1RSNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Al Launier
07-24-2019, 5:47 PM
You could also drill a hole through both the nut(s) & the rod & use a press fit pin to hold the assembly tightly in place.

Rob Marshall
07-24-2019, 6:14 PM
If I'm reading the description of the Loctite blue correctly, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for what I want to do since I want to permanently attach the nuts and the loctite seems to allow for removing them.

As to drilling a hole, I don't have a drill press and I don't know if I would be able to hold the drill steady enough to drill a straight hole through both the nut and rod. Although, if I did have a drill press, that seems like a good way to do it.

Thanks,

Rob

Jerome Stanek
07-24-2019, 6:41 PM
You could also use 2 nuts to lock together

David Buchhauser
07-24-2019, 6:58 PM
If I'm reading the description of the Loctite blue correctly, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for what I want to do since I want to permanently attach the nuts and the loctite seems to allow for removing them.

As to drilling a hole, I don't have a drill press and I don't know if I would be able to hold the drill steady enough to drill a straight hole through both the nut and rod. Although, if I did have a drill press, that seems like a good way to do it.

Thanks,

Rob

The blue loctite will lock the threads and not come loose unless you put some wrenches on the nuts and force them loose. Otherwise, I would recommend using some Nyloc nuts. These are lock nuts with nylon inserts that will not come loose unless you force them with wrenches. You could also "double-nut" as was suggested earlier.

If you really want to "permanently" attach the nuts to the rods, then I would suggest welding them together.

Tom M King
07-24-2019, 6:58 PM
Acetone should clean them.

Jacob Reverb
07-24-2019, 7:22 PM
Any decent degreaser should work -- brake cleaner, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc.

Keith Pitman
07-24-2019, 7:26 PM
You could also use 2 nuts to lock together

+2 . . . Use a jam nut.

Mike Kees
07-24-2019, 7:35 PM
Rob if you want permanent no movement then red loctite is the one to use. The blue would probably work as well as others have said. Pick one they are both a way better option than epoxy.

Rob Marshall
07-25-2019, 9:21 AM
Since I have some left over parts from my initial failed attempt with a 3/4"-10 rod, I will try to clean them with acetone and try the loctite red and see how that works. I wasn't sure if it needed the primer/activator but I ordered some of that as well just in case.

Thanks,

Rob

michael langman
07-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Brake cleaner at the auto parts store is a good metal cleaner. And cheap. Loctite makes good products for your application. The red would be better for the larger bolt thread 3/4 10.

Lee Schierer
07-25-2019, 2:01 PM

Thanks,

Rob

The red loctite will work for you. The only way to remove the nut once it sets is with heat over 300F.

Ken Combs
07-25-2019, 2:04 PM
I would clean in two steps. First with a petroleum based solvent, then dry and clean with alcohol. All petroleum bases will leave a trace coating, alcohol will remove and dry to a clean surface. I also recommend Loctite, blue or red. Red is permanent, but can be removed after heating the part. Doesn't take a lot of heat, like enough to damage metal temper or change its' color.

Rick Potter
07-26-2019, 4:39 AM
Come on Rob. You know you need a drill press anyway, right?:D

I just checked my local Craig List, and found 8 of them for $30-55. A $40 one had 3/4 HP motor and 5/8" chuck.

Just an alternative suggestion.;)

David Buchhauser
07-26-2019, 7:58 AM
The red loctite will work for you. The only way to remove the nut once it sets is with heat over 300F.
Lee,
A couple of wrenches will do it too. I am speaking from years of experience with Red LocTite (as well as the other colors).
David

Rob Marshall
08-22-2019, 4:08 PM
Hi,

Sorry should have gotten back to this but it took me a while to do some testing. I used acetone to clean the nut and threaded rod. I tested both West System epoxy (G/Flex) and the red Loctite. Both seemed to work pretty well and would work for my application.

Thanks for all the help,

Rob

David Buchhauser
08-23-2019, 12:40 AM
Hi Rob,
Please post some photo of your finished project when you get to that point.
Thanks,
David

Vince Shriver
08-23-2019, 7:25 AM
Since I have some left over parts from my initial failed attempt with a 3/4"-10 rod, I will try to clean them with acetone and try the loctite red and see how that works. I wasn't sure if it needed the primer/activator but I ordered some of that as well just in case.

Rob

Rob, I don't think Locktite benefits from an activator (like ca glue) or primer -- no need for it