PDA

View Full Version : Reducing rattle in a large panel

Joe Hendershott
07-24-2019, 7:28 AM
I have a gate I am making that will have a single floating panel inside rails and stiles. The panel is 22mm thick and will float inside. Looking for some suggestions for a product similar to space balls but large enough for this 22 millimeter groove and keep the movement and rattling in check.

Lee Schierer
07-24-2019, 7:35 AM
You can make your own "space balls" by squeezing out silicone sealant onto a sheet of wax paper. With a little care you can make the strings any diameter that you need. Once it cures, cut it into short segments

Joe Hendershott
07-24-2019, 7:49 AM
That might work, thanks.

Robert Engel
07-24-2019, 8:59 AM
Space balls, etc. are really meant to keep the panel centered and allow for expansion/contraction. If the panel panel fits too loosely in the groove, it will still rattle.

The best prevention for rattling is to match the groove perfectly to the panel.

Joe Hendershott
07-24-2019, 9:05 AM
That will not be a problem, the seasonal movement will surely make the most perfect fit move a bit.

Erik Loza
07-24-2019, 9:18 AM
What about foam ear plugs? I think that's what Space Balls are, but larger.

Erik

mreza Salav
07-24-2019, 10:06 AM
You can also use weather strip foams inside the grooves.

Jamie Buxton
07-24-2019, 10:12 AM
You can halve the panel movement by adding a middle stile and making each panel half the size.

Joe Hendershott
07-24-2019, 4:50 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I may be able to find some appropriate weather stripping for this.

Adam Herman
07-24-2019, 5:04 PM
mcmaster carr sells about 100 different sizes and types of rubber balls. just search for "ball" in the search box on the site.

i may be weary of anything foam holding water in the groove.

Al Launier
07-24-2019, 6:05 PM
Have you considered 7/8 Polyethylene Closed Cell Foam rope caulking. I've used various diameters, not 7/8", perhaps it's available??? HD/Lowes???

Joe Hendershott
07-24-2019, 6:54 PM

i may be weary of anything foam holding water in the groove.

Good point. Thank you. I will check out the offerings.

Jamie Buxton
07-24-2019, 11:20 PM
If you build the gate like you would an indoor door, where the panel fits into a dado on all four sides, you will get water pooling in the dado at the bottom. Water pooling inside the gate i going to lead to rot. A fix is to reverse the tongue-and-groove joint at the bottom of the panel. Put the groove in the panel, and the tongue on the rail. No pooling.

glenn bradley
07-25-2019, 12:04 AM
I have done this. I have also just put a blob of silicon every so often in the groove prior to assembling the panel and frame. I position the panel where I want it in the “float“, and then when the silicone dries I have custom Spaceballs.

You can make your own "space balls" by squeezing out silicone sealant onto a sheet of wax paper. With a little care you can make the strings any diameter that you need. Once it cures, cut it into short segments

Rich Engelhardt
07-25-2019, 5:34 AM
What about foam ear plugs? I think that's what Space Balls are, but larger. Space balls are a lot harder than foam (or silicone for that matter) & it takes quite a bit pf pressure to compress them.

Jay Aubuchon
07-25-2019, 9:11 PM
I have used backer rod for this.

Rob Luter
07-26-2019, 6:02 PM
I have used backer rod for this.

Beat me to it. Foam backer rod will work well. You can also “glue” it in place with silicone sealant. It will move with expansion and contraction.

johnny means
07-27-2019, 9:45 AM
If your panel is loose enough to rattle, I would rectify that first.