PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring outdoor faucets to brick or block walls

Stephen Tashiro
07-24-2019, 3:36 AM
What's a good way to anchor an outdoor faucet (hose bib) to a brick or block wall?

The arrangements I've seen depend on the rigidity of the pipes to hold the faucets still. That's ok for galvanized pipe and perhaps for copper pipe, but what do you do if the supply pipe is PEX? Hose bibs designed to be anchored with screws don't work well for masonry. Drilling holes for anchors so close apart can crack the brick.

Marc Jeske
07-24-2019, 4:56 AM
I agree w you that the flanges and mounting hole c-c is a problem w masonry.

Some ideas below.

Marc

.https://www.google.com/search?q=hose+bib+mounting+plate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0yqGjls3jAhVMJt8KHUESDsIQ_AUIESgC&biw=1229&bih=604

Marc Jeske
07-24-2019, 5:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aweq1qEJVgo

Tom M King
07-24-2019, 7:43 AM
I use Greenlee caulking anchors. If the 1-1/8" hole for the pipe hasn't been drilled yet, drill the small holes first.

Here is a link for the anchors. This page will show the anchors with the pound-in tool. I don't use the pound-in tool. With that method of insertion, the hole has to be close to the perfect depth, and also the machine screw the right length.

After looking at this page link, click on the "screw expander". Using the screw expander, the anchor is screwed onto the end of the expander, inserted in the hole, and the knurled knob tightened to expand the anchor. It sets it flush with the outside surface, so drill the hole deeper than you need it, and screw length is not so much of an issue. I put some construction adhesive on the anchor before putting it in the hole, and don't tighten too much to break the little pieces of masonry left.

The trouble with those expanders is that they are expensive. I've managed to find all the different sizes on ebay. I use the smaller ones for chimney flashing, as seen on the Chimney Flashing page on my website.

If the 1-1/8" hole has already been used, don't use a hammer drill to drill the small holes, or it will surely explode between the small holes, and the larger one.

https://www.greenlee.com/us/en/caulking-anchors

To get beyond this problem altogether, if possible, and the house is over a crawlspace, I exit the hose bibs on the outside wall behind a bathroom, or kitchen sink cabinet, and any future replacement can be done much easier than crawling under the house.

Grant Wilkinson
07-24-2019, 8:20 AM
I used a scrap piece of aluminum to make a mounting plate, very similar to the one in the youtube video. I just used ordinary anchors to mount the plate to the concrete wall. The mounting plate means the mounting holes are far enough apart that there was no cracking of the cement.

Günter VögelBerg
07-24-2019, 3:02 PM
I have used two-hole pipe hangers and tapcon anchors. I love tapcon anchors. Living in a masonry house I use them for everything from hanging pictures to installing cabinets.

Larry Frank
07-24-2019, 7:46 PM
I make a plate from pressure treated wood and caulk it to the brick and then just mount the hose bib to it. Worked out very well for ten years and still going fine.

Bill Dufour
07-26-2019, 1:23 AM
Metal pipe with molten lead or sulfur. transition to pex inside.
Bill D