PDA

View Full Version : blades on the Powermatic 12 and 16 in HH.

nick johannsen
07-23-2019, 10:25 PM
I'm wondering if the blades on the PM-12 inch and 16 inch jointers are strong enough to endure constant face jointing of rough sawn lumber with their thin blade design, I'm use to my byrd head with 4 sided inserts

Mel Fulks
07-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Nick, I've always liked Powermatic stuff and have used a lot of it in employments. Like most companies the knives that
come with the new machines are low quality . But I've never seen any break. Those machines are greatly improved by
T-1 or M-2 grade knives.

Matt Day
07-24-2019, 8:39 AM
I’m going to guess they’d be fine. They’ll probably last X board feet before they get dull, whether it’s constant or occasional.

nick johannsen
07-25-2019, 12:13 AM
Mel, I have a few powermatic machines and I enjoy them but they are not the size I am currently looking to buy, with that being said, I have never owned any Grizzly products but I can get their 16 inch jointer for 600.00 more then the 12 inch powermatic, both having a helical head, both have a 5 hp single phase motor, I have been trying to find posts on any Grizzly big machine jointers and only found 1 to follow, it was a very good thread