PDA

View Full Version : Wood type for rollers?

Kevin Beitz
07-21-2019, 1:28 PM
What would be the best type of wood that would not split for roller wheels on tractor mowing decks?

Lee Schierer
07-21-2019, 1:44 PM
Plywood would be least likely to split. However, I wouldn't recommend any wood for use as wheels on a tractor mowing deck that is going to get wet, hit rocks, etc. I would use a UHMW plastic or High Density polyethelene. You can buy replacement metal wheels at most hard ware and farm supply stores.

Jacob Reverb
07-21-2019, 1:51 PM
Lignum vitae?

Kevin Beitz
07-21-2019, 2:50 PM
The original wheels are wood. Horse buggys used hickey.
I just want something that wont split. Maybe gum?

Frederick Skelly
07-21-2019, 2:51 PM
Plywood would be least likely to split. However, I wouldn't recommend any wood for use as wheels on a tractor mowing deck that is going to get wet, hit rocks, etc. I would use a UHMW plastic or High Density polyethelene. You can buy replacement metal wheels at most hard ware and farm supply stores.

I think I remember seeing wooden rollers on some older decks, but no idea what they were made of. Most of what I see are a very hard rubber. I agree with Lee - I'd check a farm supply store.

John TenEyck
07-21-2019, 9:07 PM
Elm. That's what wagon wheel hubs were/are made from.

John

Bill Dufour
07-21-2019, 11:18 PM
If you are in Australia or NZ I would recommend some of the Ecalypts.
Bill D.

Rich Engelhardt
07-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Gotta go with John - Elm.

Ever try to split Elm? It's a nightmare - which would make it ideal for wheels.

Jacob Reverb
07-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Ever try to split Elm? It's a nightmare - which would make it ideal for wheels.

Same with sweet gum. It's like trying to drive your maul into a tire. But man, does it rot fast!

Dave Zellers
07-23-2019, 5:27 PM
I know that they make rolling pins out of tupelo because of the interlocking and tight closed grain.

Tom Bain
07-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Same with sweet gum. It's like trying to drive your maul into a tire. But man, does it rot fast!

Definitely an exercise in futility from personal experience ... the maul literally just bounces off the stuff.