PDA

View Full Version : ca application question

bob gugerty
12-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Hello All,
I have a question or two about applying ca. Do you use an applicator of some sort(brush,foam tip) or a rag? How do you keep the ca from gluing the pen blank to the spacers? Is the lathe spinning fast or slow or not at all?

Thanks
bob

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 11:14 AM
(Moderator note- I moved this thread here to the Turning forum because it's pretty specific to finishing pens and will likely get better response. Jim)

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
(Moderator note- I moved this thread here to the Turning forum because it's pretty specific to finishing pens and will likely get better response. Jim)

Jim Thanks....I know a lot about ca ca...nothing about ca:confused:

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Bob,

I am new to penturning but have worked with CA for a long time. I have made 13 pens so far and all of them have had CA finish. I have had GREAT results with CA. Here is what I do:

Sand to 320, stop and clean the blank of sanding dust, usually compressed air followed with a wipe of alcohol.

With the lathe turning at the same speed I turned the pen (pretty high), I hold the CA bottle, with the tip cut at a slight angle, against the blank and gently squeze as I move the CA bottle from one side to the other. This applies a nice even coat that does not fly off the lathe. I use thin CA for my finish.

I then immediately follow behind with a rag soaked in BLO. This smooths and sets the CA. I then do a second and third coat in the same manner. Most of the time it is so smooth I am ready to start sanding with 320 again. If I somehow got some bumps I use a razorblade held at an angle to the axis of the pen and use it like a mini-scraper and go down the length of the blank. I then sand through 12,000 micromesh, stopping between each of the lower grits to sand along the grain.

Once done it is nice a shiney and completely smooth. I then go one step further and apply 2 coats of Crystal Coat to really bring out the shine.

Like I said, I am new to this but it is worked awesome for me and is very quick. Here is a picture of a spalted hackberry 90 degree cross cut pen I did last night. Man, crosscut blanks are hard to work with, especially in spalted wood. I had to drench the piece with thin CA to stabilize it but I think it turned out great.

Ron Ainge
12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Bob

Ca is a very easy finish to use. I use the following regime. Before starting to turn a pen I wax both the mandrel and the bushings very lightly so the glue will not stick to them. I then turn the pen and do the sanding trying to stay clear of the bushings. Next I set the speed of the lathe on it slowest speed and apply gap filling CA by using the bag that the pen parts came in to cover my finger. I apply the glue from the bottle with one hand while I use the bag covered finger to rub it along the body of the pen to get it even and smooth. If the pen blank is a little bit of roughness to it I start sanding again at 220 grit, if not I go through the grades of micro mesh until I get the finish that I like. I then use thin CA as a top coat, at this point the glue will normally go on very smooth, if it does I use the beall buffer to finish it with, if not I use the micro mesh again and finish it with Qualasal (a padding laquor) and spin the pen at a higher speed, rubbing the blank with a paper towel until it comes to a high gloss.

I hope this helps. I do a lot of finishes with CA glue.

Roger Fitzsimonds
12-13-2005, 1:00 PM
Bob,

My method is a little different. I use the same speed I turned the pen at. Then I use a paper towel ( Usually Bounty) I put a couple of drops on a folded piece of paper towel and just swipe the glue along the pen barrel. You have to keep the paper towel moving because cellulose acts as an accelerator and will adhere itself to the pen blank. I use medium CA and usually put on 3 layers of glue. With a little of practice this is a fast and efficient way to finish pens. I have tried other brands of paper towel and the cheaper they are the poorer they work. So I try to stay with what works for me.

Good Luck and have fun

Roger

Raymond Overman
12-13-2005, 1:51 PM
I have a roll of cheap store brand wax paper hanging in my shop. I apply the CA to the wax paper and use that to evenly coat the pen using either a slow speed on my lathe (<60 RPM) or manually turning with my hand.

John Hart
12-14-2005, 7:05 AM
If you take a little puddle of BLO and drop some thin CA in it, you will see that the CA almost immediately turns to a gel. (sorta like a science experiment!) Anyway, this little experiment is what led me to MY method. (as you can see...one of many) I have a very soft cloth and pour BLO on it. Then, with the lathe spinning about 1000 RPM, I put 5 drops of CA on the oil soaked cloth, then immediately apply to the spinning blank, moving back and forth rapidly with medium pressure.

Jason Christenson
12-14-2005, 10:23 AM
this little experiment is what led me to MY method. (as you can see...one of many)

John, I've used your method on the last several pieces I've turned. How many coats do you typically use? Do your finishes wear well? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jason

Kurt Forbes
12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
My Method is closer to Johns
I do all of the necessary sanding then apply BLo to the blank and work it in very well with a paper towel. Then I use brush on CA whenever possible with the same towel that is soaked in BLO held to the blank to smooth everything out. Lather rinse and repeat untill you have a decent coat. Then sand to whatever grit you feel you need to go to and apply friction polish (several Coats) and top it off with Bee's wax.

It takes less time to do than it did to type it up

John Hart
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
John, I've used your method on the last several pieces I've turned. How many coats do you typically use? Do your finishes wear well? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jason

That's the million dollar question isn't it? I just don't know Jason. You see...I've got this problem. I don't sell anything. I just accumulate piles of pens and bowls and vases and goofy little spindly things. So, since they don't get used....the finish will probably last forever.:o I need some empirical study in this "usage" area...don't cha think?

John Hart
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh...sorry Jason...didn't answer your first question. Typically 4 coats....Or like Kurt suggests...repeat till happy.:)

bob gugerty
12-15-2005, 8:58 PM
WOW a lot of ideas. I have the day off tomorrow so I think I'll give them all a try
Thanks everyone very much
bob