PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Rack - help!

Charlie Plesums
12-13-2005, 10:01 AM
A friend has asked me to build a wooden rack to "display" a horse saddle (which will probably get ridden occasionally by a grandchild). He has sent pictures from a catalog, but doesn't want to buy the commercial version that has too much decoration (brass boots, stars, etc.). OK, I can build something plain, but first I have to figure out how the saddle is supported - what I actually have to build.

The catalog pictures appear to have a semi-circle about 15-20 inches across at the front and back, about 28 inches apart, but (from the catalog) I can't see if there are other supports between the semicircles. I don't even have access to a saddle to confirm the size. Does anyone have a hint of what is "under the saddle?" I normally don't work from someone else's plans, but would buy one if necessary to get the basic dimensions.

tod evans
12-13-2005, 10:04 AM
have your friend bring you the saddle, just like shoes there are lotsa different sizes of saddles. tod

Aaron Montgomery
12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't know if it will help you out, but this site has a couple of saddle stands that maybe you can get some ideas from. http://www.thecarpentersshopinc.com/pages/products/equine/

The wife never brings her saddle home from the barn for very long, so I haven't gotten around to actually making a saddle stand yet. On the occasion she does bring it home for cleaning we just use a saw horse. I'm sure I've seen a post where somebody built a saddle stand - it was either here or on Woodnet. You might want to do a search.

Steve Clardy
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Saddle racks have about the same dimensions as a 16 gallon barrel.
16" across, 30" high.
You can make three arc supports, then lay flat stock, strips, across them for support