PDA

View Full Version : Face App Out to Steal Your Data?

Jim Koepke
07-18-2019, 2:05 PM
A few stories in the news about a popular app to age a person's looks might be spy ware.

Not sure if the jury is in, but you can consult Dr. Google or Mr. Bing for more information.

jtk

Doug Dawson
07-18-2019, 2:58 PM
A few stories in the news about a popular app to age a person's looks might be spy ware.

Not sure if the jury is in, but you can consult Dr. Google or Mr. Bing for more information.

The data they're mainly talking about is your face. Facial recognition and face databases are a really big thing right now. Don't disclose your location. Wear a mask when you go outside. Hide from the government.

Günter VögelBerg
07-18-2019, 5:17 PM
Wait...There are people who are DELIBERATELY using apps to look older? How is this a thing?

Doug Dawson
07-18-2019, 5:27 PM
Wait...There are people who are DELIBERATELY using apps to look older? How is this a thing?

It makes it easier to buy beer.

Jerome Stanek
07-18-2019, 6:26 PM
I heard that with the app it can download all the pictures you have on your phone

Frank Pratt
07-18-2019, 8:37 PM
I heard that with the app it can download all the pictures you have on your phone

It can't. The code has been studied & shown that it doesn't do that. I just listened to a news feature on CBC dealing with this app.

Jerome Stanek
07-18-2019, 10:07 PM
You have to give permission to access your picture. It then becomes their property also who examined the code.

Frank Pratt
07-18-2019, 10:25 PM
You have to give permission to access your picture. It then becomes their property also who examined the code.

I didn't catch who examined the code, but CBC is a pretty reliable source. Their licensing agreement is about the same as any site that you upload images to; they basically own the image, or at least the rights to use it as they please with no compensation.

Pat Barry
07-20-2019, 6:22 PM

jtk

Never gotten anything useful from Mr Bing

Jim Koepke
07-21-2019, 1:31 PM
Never gotten anything useful from Mr Bing

Neither has it ever helped me. Somehow though it seems there are a lot of folks who love it.

Maybe it is because they like all the cute cuddly kitty videos they get when searching for information on house painting.

jtk