PDA

View Full Version : O1 blade for Lie Nielsen 102

Oskar Sedell
07-18-2019, 5:56 AM
Hi all,

been a while since last time. Have been longing for a LN 102 Block plane for quite a while, but would prefer one with the old O1 blade, instead of the A2 one which is only offered now.

Anyone know of source that still have the O1blade? or plane with blade? Bonus points will be given for european dealers (live in Germany).

Second option would be fitting a non-LN blade. Are there options?

Wish you all a nice day,

Oskar

Derek Cohen
07-18-2019, 8:26 AM
Oskar, contact David Eckert at The Toolworks (Google for this as I cannot link directly here). He is in Australia and used to run LN Australia. I have an O1 blade from him for my LN #103, but I fear that this was old stock and he may not have more. He does sell a blade which he believes is the same as the Veritas PM-V11, but this is his opinion and I have not used one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eric Danstrom
07-18-2019, 9:13 AM
Or go with a Veritas apron plane? Same width/angle/weight and three metallurgical blade choices.

Mike Brady
07-18-2019, 9:29 AM
Check with Ron Hock at Hock Tools. I have one of his O-1 irons for my LN adjustable mouth block plane and it takes a great edge. Its worth an email to find out.

Stephen Rosenthal
07-18-2019, 11:33 PM
+1 on Hock blades if you can’t find a Lie Nielsen. Great products and a great guy to do business with.

Tony Zaffuto
07-19-2019, 5:49 AM
Have several Hock carbon steel blades and they are excellent!

But, for such a small block plane, I would not rule out A2 (which I also dislike!). The blade is small and the plane does not get the intense amount of use that some of its bigger siblings do. Hence, A2 should work just fine, just taking a bit more effort to hone.

Mike Brady
07-19-2019, 8:50 AM
I second everything Tony says, plus it saves you having to buy the second blade. I too would prefer O-1 throughout and was lucky to acquire some L_N blades for bench planes while they were still making them.

Joe Tilson
07-19-2019, 9:41 AM
Hock blades for me as well.
Good hunting.

Jim Koepke
07-19-2019, 1:47 PM
If the blade is available from Ron Hock, you won't likely find anything better.

jtk

Rob Luter
07-19-2019, 6:01 PM
Hmm? Both my LN Blocks (60 1/2 & 102) have A2 irons and they seem to work well. They sharpen up real nice and hold an edge for a good long time.

Tom M King
07-19-2019, 6:21 PM
I have an O1 Hock iron in a block plane that replaced one that grew too short. I like the edge fine, but it's aggravating to have a square top end on a block plane. It probably wouldn't take that long to regrind the iron to a round shape, but that's not the kind of thing I spend time on.

lowell holmes
07-19-2019, 6:29 PM
I don't know the metallurgy, but I have had Hock irons and breakers in all of my hand planes for years.
I hold them in high regard.

Oskar Sedell
07-20-2019, 3:06 AM
Thank you Derek! I will check with him!

Oskar, contact David Eckert at The Toolworks (Google for this as I cannot link directly here). He is in Australia and used to run LN Australia. I have an O1 blade from him for my LN #103, but I fear that this was old stock and he may not have more. He does sell a blade which he believes is the same as the Veritas PM-V11, but this is his opinion and I have not used one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oskar Sedell
07-20-2019, 3:08 AM
Thanks to all of you for answering!

I have written to Ron Hock about a blade, I agree with you that the Hock HC blades are good.

/Oskar

Tony Zaffuto
07-20-2019, 7:48 AM
Thanks to all of you for answering!

I have written to Ron Hock about a blade, I agree with you that the Hock HC blades are good.

/Oskar

Another person that made superb O1 blades was Ray Isles. TFWW used to sell his blades, don't know if they still do. Regardless Ray has his own website. Besides Hock high carbon, I also have one of Ray's and they are also excellent.

Tom M King
07-20-2019, 1:28 PM
The last time I saw those Isles irons, they were sold direct, along with an assortment of other nice woodworking tools they make, on ebay. Sorry, I don't remember their vendor name there, but a search should bring it up.

edited to add: their seller name on ebay is flashpub
the ebay store name is The Old Tool Store

They don't keep all their stuff up all the time.

Eric Danstrom
07-21-2019, 8:27 AM
For every blade maker noted in this thread none have 1 1/4" block plane blades listed in their catalog. And the LN blade isn't a standard adjuster slot configuration seen in the USA/UK Stanley and Records. It'll be interesting to see if Hock has something for the LN 102. Maybe he sees a market for O1 blades in LN products.

Derek Cohen
07-21-2019, 8:49 AM
At the start of the thread I said: contact David Eckert at The Toolworks. He makes blades for the LN102/3.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Dalzell
07-21-2019, 6:47 PM
I have, and use, many Hock blades for various planes. They are always good.

Oskar Sedell
07-22-2019, 4:48 AM
thank you again Derek, it was noted. Been looking for a closer source.

At the start of the thread I said: contact David Eckert at The Toolworks. He makes blades for the LN102/3.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oskar Sedell
07-22-2019, 4:52 AM
Hi all,

just got answer from Ron Hock, and he can indeed provide the blade in high carbon steel. Researching now if the german stockist can order it for me.

Thank you all for commenting!

I wish you all a good day!

Oskar

Jim Koepke
07-22-2019, 9:58 AM
Hi all,

just got answer from Ron Hock, and he can indeed provide the blade in high carbon steel. Researching now if the german stockist can order it for me.

Thank you all for commenting!

I wish you all a good day!

Oskar

You may want them to order two. If you have already worn through one, you may want to have a spare in advance.

jtk