PDA

View Full Version : Laser Levels

Tom Hamilton
12-13-2005, 9:12 AM
With the HD hand tool sale ending tomorrow, I am considering springing for a laser level. This will be for home use, pictures, shelves etc.

They have two models of the the Strait-Line, one for $20 and one for $40. These models use 3M adhesive strips to hold the unit to the wall. The other brands, as I understand it, use small pins or a vacuum forming bottom.

What experience do you all have with laser levels?

Are any better than others?

Is the adhesive strip strategy a good one or to be avoided?

What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks for you wisdom. Merry Christmas, Tom

Bob Reeve
12-13-2005, 9:44 AM
I am no help but I am in the same boat. There are so many choices. Come on guys and help us out.

Aaron Montgomery
12-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm also considering a laser level - would appreciate any input. I got to play with a friends Royobi this past weekend and it was pretty cool. It had a vacuum attachment - worked well on his smooth walls - he said it didn't work so well on textured walls or ceilings.

tod evans
12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
stabilla makes a decent one, david white a good one. neither are 40 bucks. sorry i`m not much help here. tod

Ellen Benkin
12-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I just used an old (cheap) one to hang pictures. It uses the pin system but I didn't want to put holes in my newly painted wall so I held it up while someone else marked the locations for the pictures. It worked perfectly.

Travis Porter
12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Have the strait line with the pins. Have been ok with it. Also got a black and decker that does vertical and horizontal. Both were gifts I received. Have used the B&D more than the Strait line. Just seems easier. No big plusses or minuses with either one. I do like the B&D having both (helps with pictures and shelves), but I think you can get it on the straitline as well.

Keith Outten
12-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Read the Fine Print...

Some of the laser levels sold at the Borg are not exactly accurate. One of them I looked at was only accurate to within 1/4" in twenty feet which I don't think is much of a bargain.

Tony Falotico
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Read the Fine Print...

Some of the laser levels sold at the Borg are not exactly accurate. One of them I looked at was only accurate to within 1/4" in twenty feet which I don't think is much of a bargain.

What Keith Said, I got the straight line for Christmas last year, not very accurate, laser beam losses sharpness about 10 feet out...... It has it's uses but I would not pay for another one.

Brian Jarnell
12-13-2005, 2:06 PM
I have the B&D self centring unit,bit of a pain with pins,I have an all metal workshop,so much contortions on occasions.:)

Lars Thomas
12-13-2005, 2:20 PM
If you've gotten this far, go back and re-read Keith's posting. That pretty much sums up the consumer grade lasers.

Tom Hamilton
12-13-2005, 4:03 PM
Thanks to all; I've been pretty successful hanging things with a bubble level for a number of years.

Sounds like I can save my money and continue with the tried and true method.

Merry Christmas, Tom :D

Frank Chaffee
12-13-2005, 6:40 PM
Was in AZ recently doing some landscaping at LOML’s place. I asked the tool guy at my “other” Home Depot in Oro Valley what was happening in laser levels… and I didn’t need a David White.

I bought some mason’s line and a line level.

Frank

Matt Meiser
12-13-2005, 6:46 PM
I have one of the old straight-line ones that uses pins. I use it quite a bit around the house for hanging pictures & shelves. I don't think they are much more accurate than that. Basically, I think they are useful for a straight line in handyman type projects where you might otherwise use a 4' level, but you can keep it in a drawer. For stuff like installing a door, I go get the level from the shop.

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 6:48 PM
In my experience the only benefit from one of these cheapo laser line thingies is to line the pockets of the manufacturer. And empty ours.