PDA

View Full Version : 32 mm cabinet system

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 9:10 AM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->With all the recent questions about this system I thought this might help...there are many Creekers with lots if experience and far better equipment than me...please feel free to add or correct me..

32 MM Overview

This is based on a frameless Euro system...it can be done with face frames...I have never done it that way..The vertical sides of each cabinet have holes drilled at 32mm apart. These holes are typically set back 37mm from the front face of the carcass. The Clip on the Blum and Grass and other hinges is drilled at 37 mm setback and the holes are 32 mm apart. So that row of holes will exactly hold the clips that hold the hinges in the correct position. It takes 2 holes per clip and the hinge centers are half way betwenn a pair of holes. To correctly align the cups they need to be drilled some multiple of 32 mm apart so the cup holes that go into the door allign with the spacing module of the holes in the carcass.

Besides hinges the 32 mm spacing supports most of the accessories that are part of the Euro system, including shelf pins, pull out baskets, trash bins, mixer shelves , tray dividers, corner lazy susan units, etc.

Sometimes a second row , or actually the primary row is drilled at 64 mm setback and only the hinge support holes are drilled at the 37mm setback. That way the hinges never get in the way of the shelf supports.

The most important planning for the system is done laying it all out on the carcass side or partition. Drawer slides, shelf holes , hinge clips should be all layed out to insure they are compatible. This system is like an assembly line. If you do it correctly once....you will save a lot of time and material. If you make a mistake , every panel will be wrong and you wasted a lot of time and material!

All of the panel drilling, hinge mounting, slide mounting , is done before the carcass is assembled. So you are dealing with flat panels and it goes fast. If you are using pocket holes for the carcass system...they maybe in the way of the bottom drawer slides.....just mount the slide and remove it...then instll that slide after the carcass is assembled...you can do that with all of them...but, locate and drill them when they are unasembled panels. Tip: If the pocket holes are in a carcass with a bottom drawer they will be hidden by the drawer....so plan your pocket hole drilling carefully. Also all"end of cabinet" panels are hidden since they are a sub side and are covered with a finished end.

Overlay and degrees
There are so many options for clips it can get confusing. A 3/4" carcass should have a 5/16" overlay this allows 1/8" gap between doors and there is a lot of adjustment in the hinge. There are also 2 variations of this clip....one for regular screws and one for "system" screws. If you drill all your holes for self pins and want to use those for hinges you need the "system" screws which are stubby and the clips are designed for them. Other wise use the clips for regular screws.
Degrees of hinge opening...I like the 120 Blum and will use a 105 degree if I am up against a wall. There are many others...170..back to back tandem...45 degree clips for mitered corners.
Hinges per door...for normal weight doors 24" wide 36" high 2 hinges any thing larger 3 hinges.Full height pantry style...usually 4 or 5 hinges.

I will add some pics to this to explain later...a pic is worth a 1000 mis drilled holes at 32mm:confused:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

tod evans
12-13-2005, 9:19 AM
mark, i`m still trying to decipher fractions! now you throw sillymeters into the mix? is this justification for lineboring equipment or perhaps a cnc router? :) tod

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 9:29 AM
mark, i`m still trying to decipher fractions! now you throw sillymeters into the mix? is this justification for lineboring equipment or perhaps a cnc router? :) tod

What has really helped me over the years is Avagadro's number....6.02 x 10 to the 23:confused:

Stephen Stokes
12-13-2005, 2:14 PM
What has really helped me over the years is Avagadro's number....6.02 x 10 to the 23:confused:

How is it exactly that an architect knows / remembers Avagadro's number? :cool:

Stokes

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 2:25 PM
How is it exactly that an architect knows / remembers Avagadro's number? :cool:

Stokes

Stephen,

I can't make a good guacamole without it....:confused:

When I was working on my degree in engineering....I took years of chemistry and Physics....Avagadro's number represtents , a lot of things you learn in school that you never use....it was a prerequisite to Statics, and Dynamics, Quantum Mechanics , and Differential Equations which followed years of Calculus.....Really important stuff...the area under a curve is important at Thanksgiving ...make sure all the pieces of pie are equal;) I spent a lot of time reading EE Cummings, Ts Elliot...Dylan Thomas....trying to balance the right and left sides of my brain....obviously it was to no avail:confused:

Stephen Stokes
12-13-2005, 2:50 PM
Never thought of Avagadro's number in that light. I will from now on...:) It rarely get's used in software development either, except the occasional random number seed :rolleyes:. That being said, I use my preschool lesson's learned for the Thanksgiving pie--I share with no one unless I am told too!!:eek:

On a serious note, if you consider yourself less than successful with your left / right brain balance you could have fooled me. Your work is nothing short of inspirational!

Stokes

tod evans
12-13-2005, 2:59 PM
all this left/right brain stuff? i`m running on one functional cell and sometimes it missfires.:) tod

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 3:10 PM
all this left/right brain stuff? i`m running on one functional cell and sometimes it missfires.:) tod

You were the guy behind me at the Filmore...yeah dude what a concert...Joplin was at her best and that blue sunshine.....sorry off the subject again:rolleyes:

Frank Chaffee
12-13-2005, 5:18 PM
Yeah Mark,

I like a few Avogadros in the salad too, however, at the rate of 6.02 x 10 to the 23rd I think you’re paying too much! There is a market down in Dana Point where they are cheaper.

Thanks for the 32mm system description, but when you post the pics, will you please convert the dimensions to inches? This “millionths of a mile” stuff hurts my head!!!

Frank

tod evans
12-13-2005, 5:23 PM
You were the guy behind me at the Filmore...yeah dude what a concert...Joplin was at her best and that blue sunshine.....sorry off the subject again:rolleyes:
or was that orange sunshine? regan says "i don`t remember" :)

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 6:02 PM
Yeah Mark,

I like a few Avogadros in the salad too, however, at the rate of 6.02 x 10 to the 23rd I think you’re paying too much! There is a market down in Dana Point where they are cheaper.

Thanks for the 32mm system description, but when you post the pics, will you please convert the dimensions to inches? This “millionths of a mile” stuff hurts my head!!!

Frank

Yeah, but Frank, you are one of the very, very few people I know who could easily convert that millionths of a mile into kilometers in your head!:D :cool:

Frank Chaffee
12-13-2005, 6:11 PM
Are we talking on the scale of millionths of a mile here, or millionths of a gram?

Frank

tod evans
12-13-2005, 6:13 PM
i believe avogadro was speaking of 12 grams, now janis.........:) tod

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 6:19 PM
Are we talking on the scale of millionths of a mile here, or millionths of a gram?

Frank

Aw heck, Frank...I don't know! :confused: Ask Mark. I think it has something to do with Jimi Hendrix and Shlamaca!:D :cool:

Frank Chaffee
12-13-2005, 7:05 PM
Well I’m afraid I missed Janis and Jimi, but when I ended up backstage with Jim in Minneapolis I didn’t understand why he needed a full week to accept a party invite ‘till I got to Laguna.

“ooooops,” to quote John Bush “wrong forum...”

Frank

Mark Singer
12-14-2005, 1:12 AM
Please see this thread....I can't do it twice...:rolleyes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=257587#post257587