PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Forum?

Joe Beaulieu
07-16-2019, 2:04 AM
Hi All,

i am really surprised there is not a separate section of this forum for sharpening. I have as many sharpening questions as I do woodworking questions. I am sure I am not the first to raise this idea.

Just a thought. Thanks

Joe

ken hatch
07-16-2019, 2:55 AM
Hi All,

i am really surprised there is not a separate section of this forum for sharpening. I have as many sharpening questions as I do woodworking questions. I am sure I am not the first to raise this idea.

Just a thought. Thanks

Joe

Joe,

Just ask a question and you will soon have a forum :).

Try it what's your first question?

ken

James Pallas
07-16-2019, 6:42 AM
Hi All,

Just a thought. Thanks

Joe
I triple dog dare you to ask a sharpening question.:p
Jim

Nicholas Lawrence
07-16-2019, 7:40 AM
I think you found it. We just call it the “Neanderthal” forum for some reason.

Frederick Skelly
07-16-2019, 7:49 AM
Hi Joe.
You're right, the question has been asked before. Here's the last thread I could find on it. LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251364-We-need-a-sharpening-forum-But-only-if-we-thin-the-herd-somewhere-else&highlight=Sharpening+forum)

But as Ken said, just ask your question and a lot of guys will chime in to try and help. (Be warned that it may get contentious, but that's just us.)

Fred

Keith Outten
07-16-2019, 8:12 AM
Really, you want to share sharpening threads with the Turners, CNC Operators, General Woodworkers, etc?
One sharpening forum for all?

William Fretwell
07-16-2019, 9:16 AM
Nicholas is right. Our Hand tools totally rely on sharpening for the most part, that is inseparable. The people that do it are here, so proudly ask your question......
Not saying we don’t need a back bevel forum.......

Andrew Hughes
07-16-2019, 9:26 AM
We should have a list of sharpening experts.
Then take turns to be the sharpening sage of the month.
The sage of the month gets to answer all the questions if someone talks our of their turn they go th ether back of the line.
:)

Bill Zickel
07-16-2019, 9:58 AM
I have a small family circular saw blade sharpening business. If I can help in that area, please ask away.

Bill

Bob Glenn
07-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Kinda like "what's the best kind of oil?" on a motorcycle forum.

Rob Luter
07-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Or the best guitar strings...

Jim Koepke
07-16-2019, 11:16 AM
A sharpening forum would need sub forums:

Hand sharpening

Water stones sharpening

Oilstone sharpening

Diamond plate sharpening

Then we would likely end up with forums about sharpening a pocket knife versus sharpening a scythe.

Sharpening saws and the optimum point count for every job.

Then there is the powered sharpening questions over low speed versus high speed.

Flat disk versus wheel sharpening.

So Joe, if you have a question about sharpening, ask it. Then stand back and be ready for the barrage.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
07-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Now that would be interesting.

We should have a list of sharpening experts.
Then take turns to be the sharpening sage of the month.
The sage of the month gets to answer all the questions if someone talks our of their turn they go th ether back of the line.
:)

Mike Manning
07-16-2019, 11:43 AM
I've got a couple of sharpening questions, not trying to highjack Joe's thread but I bet a lof of us newbie sharpeners have the same set of questions.

What are some good recommendations for books, videos, etc to learn how to sharpen plane irons and chisels?

A sticky with that level of detail could be helpful. What if a person were interested in sharpening hand saws, knives, axes, scissors or even my old pair of Klein linemen's pliers? Having that in a sticky seems like it would be a useful thing.

But I would really like to know resources for sharpening plane blades and chisels. :0)

I'll post my second sharpening question in a separate thread.

Thanks in advance!

Update: After I added this comment I seemed to recall being pointed to some sharpening tips here earlier this year. Found the Neanderthal/Wisdom FAQ. But my question regarding favorite resources for sharpening plane blades & chisels still applies.

steven c newman
07-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Never happen....:D

Nicholas Lawrence
07-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Mike, the problem is there are lots of ways to sharpen. Jim touched on this above. For your post, tell us what you are trying to sharpen, and also what sharpening gear you already have.

I've got a couple of sharpening questions, not trying to highjack Joe's thread but I bet a lof of us newbie sharpeners have the same set of questions.

Mike Manning
07-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Mike, the problem is there are lots of ways to sharpen. Jim touched on this above. For your post, tell us what you are trying to sharpen, and also what sharpening gear you already have.

Right now my overriding need is to learn how to sharpen plane irons followed closely by chisels.

Nicholas Lawrence
07-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Lots of folks can help.

Unless you want people helping you spend your money (i.e. recommending you buy new stuff you may or may not need), please tell us what you already have.

Mike Manning
07-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Lots of folks can help.

Unless you want people helping you spend your money (i.e. recommending you buy new stuff you may or may not need), please tell us what you already have.

Nicholas,
That is going to highjack Joe's thread. I'll start another thread specifically detailing what I've got and how do I make use of that to get sharp plane irons and chisels. Thank you for your willingness to help! I'll try to get that thread posted today. Got to clear out some space to take pics of what I already have.

Thanks!
Mike

Tom M King
07-16-2019, 1:42 PM
The trouble with sharpening threads is that the vast majority of sharpeners are disillusioned to the point that they believe they can get an edge sharp. In reality, my method is, of course, the only one that really works.:p

Andrew Pitonyak
07-16-2019, 1:56 PM
Right now my overriding need is to learn how to sharpen plane irons followed closely by chisels.

Do you already have something that you can use to sharpen? Stones, honing guide, sand paper, etc?

I started with a simple honing guide, sand paper, and a flat piece of granite. I have lots more stuff now! :D

I mean, let me tell you the one and only correct way!

So, give us an idea of how much help you need to get started. I have had lots of people over to my place to show them how I do it.....

Doug Dawson
07-16-2019, 2:45 PM

What are some good recommendations for books, videos, etc to learn how to sharpen plane irons and chisels?

Ron Hock's book.

(Leonard Lee's book is more general, but less specific.)

J. Greg Jones
07-16-2019, 3:49 PM
I agree with Doug-when it comes to book resources on sharpening, Ron Hock and Leonard Lee is about as good as it gets.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2019, 4:48 PM
A sharpening forum would need sub forums:

Hand sharpening

Water stones sharpening

Oilstone sharpening

Diamond plate sharpening

Then we would likely end up with forums about sharpening a pocket knife versus sharpening a scythe.

Sharpening saws and the optimum point count for every job.

Then there is the powered sharpening questions over low speed versus high speed.

Flat disk versus wheel sharpening.

So Joe, if you have a question about sharpening, ask it. Then stand back and be ready for the barrage.

jtk

There lies the problem with a separate "Sharpening Forum".

Bruce Haugen
07-16-2019, 4:54 PM

Mobil 1. Or is it Shell Rotella. I forget :D

Mike Kreinhop
07-16-2019, 5:57 PM
I disagree that a new forum on sharpening would require additional sub-forums. I've heard similar comments on other discussion boards when a new category is requested. In my case, the need for nested categories never occured and the discussions flowed nicely.

If enough members are asking for this, why not give it a try and see how it goes? A dedicated forum for all sharpening discussions could be seeded with selected discussions from other areas to get things started. If it doesn't work out, then dump the threads in to the Neanderthal Haven forum.

Tom M King
07-16-2019, 7:14 PM
There is a wealth of all kinds of information on sharpening already in this forum. Using the search function should bring up a years worth of reading, if you can manage to wade through all the chest thumping fairly quickly. Any new thread, that asks the same thing that's already been asked hundreds of times, still manages to bring in the chest thumpers, so I'm not sure what the advantage of a new forum would be.

Try asking a question in the search box, and see what comes up as answers to the same question.

Derek Cohen
07-16-2019, 7:55 PM
I would support a sharpening forum. That way all those disruptive and boring discussions can be hidden away :D I may dip in occasionally, but only to make sure that everyone is still alive.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Manning
07-16-2019, 8:24 PM
Doug, Greg,

Would those books be - The Perfect Edge, The Ultimate Guide to Sharpening For Woodworkers by Ron Hock and The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee?

Thanks!
Mike

Doug Dawson
07-16-2019, 8:39 PM
Doug, Greg,

Would those books be - The Perfect Edge, The Ultimate Guide to Sharpening For Woodworkers by Ron Hock and The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee?

Yes. Yes they are.

Jim Koepke
07-17-2019, 6:54 AM
Really, you want to share sharpening threads with the Turners, CNC Operators, General Woodworkers, etc?
One sharpening forum for all?

This made me think of Lord of the Rings. One forum to spin them, one to power them on, one forum to shape them and one to hone them all...

Sharpening is a real conversation starter. With an Original Post essentially about starting a forum on what may be the most perplexing aspect to many woodworkers. Now we have already reached 30 replies. While the OP has yet to ask what first led him to inquire about the hornet's nest of sharpening.

Maybe a good sharpening thread would help me get back to sleep.

jtk

ken hatch
07-17-2019, 11:10 AM
This made me think of Lord of the Rings. One forum to spin them, one to power them on, one forum to shape them and one to hone them all...

Sharpening is a real conversation starter. With an Original Post essentially about starting a forum on what may be the most perplexing aspect to many woodworkers. Now we have already reached 30 replies. While the OP has yet to ask what first led him to inquire about the hornet's nest of sharpening.

Maybe a good sharpening thread would help me get back to sleep.

jtk

Jim,

How bout a good start?

How many stones do I need to sharpen a chisel? Or maybe, how can I tell when I've finished on my course stone? Then there's, what grit do I need to polish and when do I use it? Those three should put you back to sleep.

ken

Jim Koepke
07-17-2019, 1:47 PM
Jim,

How bout a good start?

[edited and extended]

Those three should put you back to sleep.

ken

How many stones do I need to sharpen a chisel?

It really depends on how dull it is. Yesterday a chisel being prepared for my grandson only needed a bit of touch up on a polishing stone. Another chisel had a nick or two and required work on a coarse, medium and fine stone. It also depends on whether or not one is using a grinder or other method for fast metal removal.

Or maybe, how can I tell when I've finished on my course stone?

If there is a nick, then the blade should be worked on the coarse stone until the nick is gone. Of course this is based on the idea of one not having a grinder to remove metal to get past the nick. If the blade is only dull, then work on the coarse stone is done when a burr is raised across the full width of the blade.

Then there's, what grit do I need to polish and when do I use it?

This depends not only on the person using the blade and the work they are doing it also depends on their choice of sharpening media. My polishing media consist of a few translucent Arkansas stones, a black Arkansas stone, two jasper hones, a Norton 8000 water stone, 6µ abrasive on a Veritas system and chromium oxide on leather.

The Norton 8000 is listed at 3µ abrasive grit size. Other makers stones are listed at the same grit size for their 5000 and 6000 offerings.

The important part of sharpening is to get the blade sharp enough to perform the work you require of it. A plane blade needs to be sharper for finish smoothing than a blade used in a scrub plane. A chisel paring end grain for dovetails needs a keener edge than a pig sticker chopping a mortise. Though either the mortise chisel or the scrub plane blade will be more productive with a sharp edge as compared to a dull edge.

As far as sleep goes, many years ago something in my reading about insomnia was that one of the best cures for insomnia is insomnia.

jtk

zzz

lowell holmes
07-17-2019, 4:15 PM
Check this site.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=sz&hsimp=yhs-001&type=type7072964-sv7-dGFnUTEyMzI0MTEtbWFwcw-257662f11202d72cebec29d7d09f0f45&param1=dGFnUTEyMzI0MTEtbWFwcyxtYXBzLHYyXzE2MjIzNzI wMTVjZDQ3OWU3MzlhNzA3LjQxNzAwNjkxXzc2ZGYxNzVlODI2O WI4ZWZhNWFiYmFkNGFhOTY5MTJjLFVTLHR4LGRpY2tpbnNvbg&p=paul%20sellers%20sharpening%20saws&param2=eyJzZXJwR2VvUmVkIjoibm8iLCJleHRUYWdzIjpbInR oZW1lX250c19tYXBzMiJdLCJicm93c2VyTmFtZSI6IkNocm9tZ SIsImJyb3dzZXJWZXJzaW9uIjoiNzQiLCJleHRWZXJzaW9uIjo iaG9zdGVkIiwiZXh0TmFtZSI6Ik1hcCBNeSBKb3VybmV5IiwiY 2xpY2tTcmMiOiJ5aHNfc3luIiwiY2hyb21lU3RvcmVJZCI6Im5 lY2lqaWNmamtka2lhbGtrZ25nY2Nqa2FvYmJtbGRjIiwic2VsV GhlbWUiOiJ0aGVtZV9udHNfbWFwczIiLCJkb21haW4iOiJ3d3c ubWFwbXlqb3VybmV5LmNvIiwiYXV0b1N1Z2dlc3RDbGsiOiJhc HBzX1YxIiwib3JTcmMiOiJuZXd0YWIiLCJpY2ciOiIwIiwiaGZ ldyI6ImQ1YTJkOGVjLTdlY2ItODE0OS04OWNmLTM5MjczYWMwO TNjMSIsInJldl9zcmMiOiIxIn0

https://paulsellers.com/knowledge-base/saws-sharpening-refurbishment/

Mike Manning
07-17-2019, 5:20 PM
I posted a new thread with the sharpening stuff I've got if anyone would care to comment. Much appreciated. Again, just hate to highjack someone else's thread.

lowell holmes
07-17-2019, 5:59 PM
I wouldn't be concerned. We learn from each other.

Pat Barry
07-18-2019, 5:53 PM
Scary sharp. That's all you need to know. Google it. JK