PDA

View Full Version : Some of my scrap hits the wall!! (pics)

Dale Thompson
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Folks,
Contrary to the wishes of many good people, I am still around. :) Among other projects I've been working on is a very simple fireplace mantle system that I just installed for my daughter and SIL. It's simple, of course, until you try to do the crown molding and other stuff using a 45 degree +/- ? angle on all of the parts that HAVE to fit perfectly! :eek: It's like doing a puppet show with 180 mile strings. Who can guess what is going on at the other end? :(

Thanks for looking and, if you are offended by the sign, "X" me out and check out the other great threads on the Creek! :cool: :)

Dale T.

David Mueller
12-13-2005, 1:20 AM
Dale, the sign is the most special part of the work piece. As a jewish carpenter :rolleyes:, err woodworker/turner I am offended by persacusion of Christians in the modern world. If someone is offended by your clear expression of your belief, they're the idiots and need to be marginalized.
End rant now.

Mazel Tov,

Keith Starosta
12-13-2005, 6:10 AM
That looks great, Dale!! Is the message hand carved or laser engraved? I can't tell from the pics.

Again, very nice!

- Keith

Dave Richards
12-13-2005, 6:25 AM
Nice scrap as usual Dale. I think that is a great mantle and the text is the crowning touch.

Keel McDonald
12-13-2005, 6:52 AM
Dale,

I like the mantle, but the sign makes the piece. Don't be ashamed of it. I love it!

Karl Laustrup
12-13-2005, 6:55 AM
Pesh, one of these days I'm going to figure out how you make something in Oak Creek whilst you are in Peshtigo. :confused: :D Are your arms exceptionaly looooong?

In any case, exceptional work, per your regular standards. :) I should have scraps such as those. And if I did, know how to put them together in such a manner. :cool:

Now how did you do the inscription, or do I really want to know? ;)

Karl

Tom Drake
12-13-2005, 6:55 AM
Beautiful work!

tod evans
12-13-2005, 7:49 AM
nice job dale, not offensive at all. tod

Frank Pellow
12-13-2005, 8:13 AM
Nice job Dale. The sign would not be for me (I am an athiest), but since the words are appropriate for your family, then it's great and you certainly have nothing to appologize for.

Tyler Howell
12-13-2005, 8:23 AM
Dale,

I like the mantle, but the sign makes the piece. Don't be ashamed of it. I love it!

The sign also makes the peace. Nice one Dale;)

Mike Leone
12-13-2005, 8:27 AM
Very Nice.
Please forgive my critism, this is my first post. Beautiful work. My only concern would be the carpet in front of the fireplace with no hearth.

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 8:28 AM
That's beautiful, Dale! The sign does not offend, only inspire. As does the craftsmanship! You truly are blessed Dale, as your talents and skills extend far beyond the "average"! :) BTW, how did you do the lettering??? :confused: Nice job, Pesh! :) :cool:

Joe Unni
12-13-2005, 8:35 AM
Very nice mantle!

Head high and with pride...

If someone is offended it's their problem!

Happy Holidays - better yet - Merry Christmas!
-joe

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-13-2005, 8:36 AM
Very nice, I'm not offened in any way, but I'm certainly inspired!

Outstanding!!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share!

Cheers!

PS Merry CHRISTmas!! :D

Ed Lang
12-13-2005, 8:54 AM
that He gave His only-begotten Son so that whoever believes in Him might not perish but have everlasting life.

Great craftsmanship.

So how did you do the letters?

Dave Richards
12-13-2005, 8:59 AM
Dale, I think what everyone is asking is

How did you do the lettering?

Quit holding out on us. :D

Tom Hamilton
12-13-2005, 9:04 AM
Beautiful work and a constant reminder. A wonderful testimony about your family.

Merry Christmas!

Tom

PS: How did you do the carving? :confused:

Dan Larson
12-13-2005, 9:10 AM
Hi Dale, beautiful work-- thanks for sharing!!!

Dan

Kelly C. Hanna
12-13-2005, 9:38 AM
Very nicely done Dale....there's nothing wrong with the sign at all. I grow weary of those who are 'offended' by everything we hold true and also those who seek to do away with our culture.

Dale Thompson
12-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I KNOW that NONE of you guys would believe me if I said that I whittled it out using my "incredible artistic flair". :eek: (those three words, guys, are FUNNIER than any of you realize. I'll post a copy of my latest attempt at a stickman for proof if that would help).

Actually the sign is laser cut. :o A local gal did it for $20. I guess that many laser people either don't like or will not do Oak. The grain is a problem with clarity, especially with pictures. She took a shot and I think it turned out great. It makes the point in a rather subtle manner and doesn't come out and slap you in the face or dominate the mantle system. :)

Thank you for all your support and very generous comments. :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
12-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Very Nice.
Please forgive my critism, this is my first post. Beautiful work. My only concern would be the carpet in front of the fireplace with no hearth.

Mike,
It is strictly a gas fireplace. The biggest concern was that it gets very hot and the manufacturer doesn't recommend a shelf above the cavity to project out more than 6". :eek: Thanks for your concern.

WELCOME TO THE CREEK, MIKE. Now that you've gotten your feet wet, take the big plunge. :D Just be warned that everyone on this Forum is not an incredibly phenomenal, charismatic example of human perfection like moi! ;) ;) :D

Dale T.

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 10:23 AM
I haven't seen a kick-back like that before...it really came off the blade "just right"!! :D Nice work, Dale.

As to the sign, that's a personal expression which is apparently appropriate for your family. I'll also add my Mazel Tov to the choir.

Steve Clardy
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Nice use of scraps Dale. :D
Looks great;) :)

Jason Tuinstra
12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Dale, nice work. Great text to remind us of our hope - especially so close to that fire :p

John D Watson
12-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Dale you still have'nt told us how you did the beautiful lettering. I'm guessing it was done by hand.
PS: Great work.
John D.

Travis Porter
12-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Send your scrap over here anytime.

Roy Wall
12-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Dale,

Looks beautiful my friend!! Excellent job!!

The laser cut words are the best part.

Frank Pellow
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Dale you still have'nt told us how you did the beautiful lettering. I'm guessing it was done by hand.
PS: Great work.
John D.
Yes he did. See post #20 in this thread.

Bob Oehler
12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Wonderful Job and I love the inscription.
Merry Christamss and Happy New Year.

Take care
Bob Oehler

Don Dean
12-13-2005, 1:13 PM
Wonderful job and a wonderful sign. The Carpenter would be proud.

Jim Fancher
12-13-2005, 4:30 PM
Very nicely done Dale....there's nothing wrong with the sign at all. I grow weary of those who are 'offended' by everything we hold true and also those who seek to do away with our culture.

I've pretty much thrown the whole "PC" thing out the window. I got tired of feeling like I should apologize for being a straight white male.

The mantle is beautiful. I'm not that religious, but totally get it and what it means to others.

Dave Right
12-13-2005, 4:55 PM
Dale - a great job and especially the quote.

Vaughn McMillan
12-13-2005, 4:59 PM
Real nice work, Dale. Great job, especially considering the coimmute to the jobsite. I also like the inscription, both for its execution and the message itself.

I'm with the rest of the gang that's grown weary of dacing around all the PC obstacles out there. Not particularly into organized religion myself, but I sure don't see how some people their knickers knotted when other folks have a different viewpoint about such things.

...Just be warned that everyone on this Forum is not an incredibly phenomenal, charismatic example of human perfection like moi! ;) ;) :D

Dale T.
You left out humble, and didn't mention your dashing good looks, either. :D

- Vaughn

Dale Thompson
12-13-2005, 7:57 PM
You folks make me REALLY proud to even THINK that I may be a woodworker! :)

Mazel Tov to Jim and David! Thank you! Even a stubborn old Norwegian like me can still learn new things. :cool: My online dictionary even taught me how to pronounce your most kind expression of "Congratulations or Best Wishes".

David, if the term "marginalized" still means the same thing that it did when my son was in the Marines and if I am a persecutor of Christians, I hope that we both, perchance, don't visit the Roman Colliseum on the same day! ;) :)
By the way, your "rant" was pretty puny. My two-year old grandson can do a LOT better! ;)

I like the cool way that Tyler shifted the word "piece" to "PEACE". :) If the "hate mongers" in EVERY segment of our international society had a hobby (woodworking would NOT be a bad choice), perhaps they would have less time to develop methods by which they can demean, hurt and even kill their fellow citizens. :)

Frank, I respect people who take a stand and are still empathetic to the views of others. In my jillions of years of life, I have known MANY folks who are Christians on Sunday and intolerant, inconsiderate, hateful tyrants the rest of the week. Being a 14.3% ANYTHING is not, in my opinion, something to be real proud of! :( :)

David, that's MY rant! I don't want to brag but it makes yours look pretty woosy! :D

Dale T.

David Mueller
12-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Dale,

I certainly hope that you understand I did not mean you were a persecutor, :eek: I'd cut my arms off with dull butter knifes if that came through. Personally, I hope we would meet in the Colliseum on the same day, I see a team effort to combat the oppressors.

I guess that your definition of "marginalized" works too. I tend to lean more towards the personal term in that people like that have no use to me in the way I live my life. Also, please thank your son for his service, from an Air Force brat. For several years in the past we would host a service person who was unable to go home for Christmas. It's some of the most wonderful times we have had around here. But lately we've been traveling since our own kids are now spread out around the country.

I guess I'll have to defer to the lame rant, If I need a good one I'll borrow your grandson. That's the main complaint my wife has is that I never see a need to get angry of fight. Just seems to much of a waste of energy but the things I am passionate about I will fight to the death if need be. Anyway, again I am humbled by the quality of the work and you have every right to strut with head high and a big grin.

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family and may G_d continue to guide your hand and heart.

Keel McDonald
12-16-2005, 7:33 AM
Tyler,

WELL SAID!!! Didn't think of that kind of "peace".

The sign also makes the peace. Nice one Dale;)