PDA

View Full Version : removing underlayment from around kitchen cabinets

lawrence munninghoff
07-11-2019, 6:34 PM
Looking for suggestions on the best way [and tool to use] to cut and remove 1/4inch underlayment from around kitchen cabinets before installing a new floating vinyl floor?

justin sherriff
07-11-2019, 6:51 PM
oscillating tool should work for that. Just be careful not to rub the cabinets with the back of the blade. Angel the blade back should keep you safe.

Charles Wiggins
07-11-2019, 9:21 PM
oscillating tool should work for that. Just be careful not to rub the cabinets with the back of the blade. Angel the blade back should keep you safe.

+1. Exactly. Just get an offset blade made for cutting wood and thin metal, turn the tool on edge and set the bottom f the blade flush against the toe-kick and start a plunge cut, the angle back so you're following the toe-kick with the ever of the blade making the cut. You could even use painter's tape to help protect the toe-kick surface from abrasions.

Jamie Buxton
07-11-2019, 10:11 PM
There's a saw specifically designed to cut that underlayment right at the face of the toekick. Google "toekick saw". Tool rental places have them.

Bill Dufour
07-12-2019, 12:32 AM
I put a drywall knife under the oscillating blade so it does not scrape the cabinet.
Bill D.

George Bokros
07-12-2019, 8:13 AM
There's a saw specifically designed to cut that underlayment right at the face of the toekick. Google "toekick saw". Tool rental places have them.

Home Depot rents them also.

Rich Engelhardt
07-12-2019, 8:48 AM
Harbor Freight sells them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-38-in-68-amp-heavy-duty-toe-kick-saw-62420.html

You can buy one - use it at your leisure - then turn around and sell it.

Jason Roehl
07-13-2019, 7:53 AM
1/4" plywood cuts fairly easily with a utility knife.

jared herbert
07-13-2019, 8:25 AM
I was faced with a similar problem I just used a wide wood chisel. I had about 20 lineal feet to do. Didn’t seem like it took that long. I just had to be careful to not it the face frame of the cabinet when hitting thechisel with the hammer.

william walton
07-14-2019, 12:12 AM
Probably not helpful, but it's always best to remove cabinets and run any flooring under, then replace cabinets. That sounds like what you already have. Maybe not common in some parts, but it eases dishwasher installs and makes for a more professional outcome.

scott vroom
07-14-2019, 12:28 AM
Probably not helpful, but it's always best to remove cabinets and run any flooring under, then replace cabinets. That sounds like what you already have. Maybe not common in some parts, but it eases dishwasher installs and makes for a more professional outcome.

.....and then have to replace counter tops?

johnny means
07-14-2019, 1:58 AM

If they are going to remove the underlayment and lay a new floor, their is no reason they can't just continue that treatment into the dishwasher recess. As far as professionalism goes, plenty of pros are laying new floors in finished kitchens. It's all about how well you do the job. Flooring under the cabinets just makes them look original to the house.

Frank Pratt
07-14-2019, 10:17 AM

I've never heard of that being done unless the cabinets are being replaced. Doing so could easily be more work than the actual flooring install. If there is a small island it might be practical to remove it for the flooring.

william walton
07-14-2019, 6:30 PM
There's no doubt it is more work, but it's what I've done in my last two homes and glad i did. Another advantage is my counters aren't lowered by 3/4" . I've encountered problems installing dishwashers in a tighter space as well. It's all a matter of choice. Good Luck.

Frank Pratt
07-14-2019, 9:07 PM
I think the whole point of removing the underlayment is to keep the counters at the original height. That would be much easier than removing the lower cabinets

Brian Ross
07-14-2019, 10:19 PM
We all approach renos differently. I am a contractor and have always removed the cabinets to install new flooring. The final decision is made by the homeowner as it does cost more.re and re base cabinets is a relatively quick process.a lot of my work is building kitchens.

Brian

Frank Pratt
07-15-2019, 9:58 AM
We all approach renos differently. I am a contractor and have always removed the cabinets to install new flooring. The final decision is made by the homeowner as it does cost more.re and re base cabinets is a relatively quick process.a lot of my work is building kitchens.

Brian

I guess the decision to remove cabinets largely depends on the particular kitchen. If removing cabinets, what do you do about the counter tops? What about tile back splash? I suppose if there's no tile back splash & the counters are just inexpensive p-lam, then it wouldn't be such a big deal.

johnny means
07-15-2019, 4:49 PM
If your removing the flooring down to the subflooring, then putting in a new floor, cabinet height shouldn't change any significant amount.

Frank Pratt
07-15-2019, 9:27 PM
If your removing the flooring down to the subflooring, then putting in a new floor, cabinet height shouldn't change any significant amount.

Exactly my thoughts.

lawrence munninghoff
07-17-2019, 6:15 PM
Bought the toe kick saw at H.F. with a 20 percent off coupon. Renting a toe kick saw was almost as expensive as buying one.
Thanks for all the suggestions.