PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Maple

Mark Cothren
12-12-2005, 9:54 PM
Got this piece of wood from Joe Tonich not too long ago (thanks Joe!) and cut it in half to make these confetti lamps. I had in mind to make a matched set, but learned quickly I'm no duplicator w/o good measuring tools...:rolleyes:

Super piece of wood! Great curl!

These are sanded thru 600, super thin coat of BLO/TO/MS wiped on and off, a thin coat of beeswax melted in, dried a couple of days, then buffed. The pics sure don't show it, but these dudes shine like they have a coat of lacquer on them! Some of the prettiest wood I've had the pleasure of working with - thanks again Joe!

One is 5-1/2" in diameter, the other is just shy of 6". They are both about 2-1/4" tall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/MapleLamps01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/MapleLamps02.jpg

Keith Burns
12-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Great pieces Mark. Your form sure lets the figure show well. And of course your signature bottom finish them off. :) Very nice.

John Hart
12-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow...That IS pretty. Very nice form too Mark! It's dark outside right now, but I know a maple tree out back that is just begging to be turned! And you're convincing me! :)

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2005, 10:18 PM
WOW Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So pretty and graceful looking. EXTREMELY NICE!!!!!!:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Wow, that is some beautiful wood. You did a gret job showing it too.

Ernie

Dick Parr
12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
That is some outstanding wood and like Dennis said, you showed it off well. Very nice Mark;) That Joe does come up with some nice wood.:rolleyes: :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
That's some pretty good looking stuff.

All you guys are doing these confetti things and I've never even heard of them. Looks fun and quick - just may have to try one or four.

Carole Valentine
12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Beautiful, Mark! And they do match plenty well enough to make a pair. Things like this don't normally sit immediately adjacent to each other, which is the only situation in which one "might" notice a difference (if there is any.):)

Bill Stevener
12-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Really, really nice Mark, the way I see it, you have maid a his and hers. They are both great.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
12-13-2005, 12:00 AM
WOW! What some sweet curl!:eek: :D Where's my shades?:cool:

Jim Ketron
12-13-2005, 12:24 AM
That Joe sure is a Nice feller!
Nice Job Mark They look great!

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 8:41 AM
Beautiful, Mark! Gorgeous wood and your form/execution is wonderfully done! Nice job.:) :cool:

Glenn Hodges
12-13-2005, 9:10 AM
Down right sexy looking.

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 10:55 AM
'Bit 'o action in that there wood, Mark! Very nice.

Dave Smith
12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Absolutely beautiful. The match is close enough for government work. No body will care how close they match in shape as they look at the beauty of each piece.

Please get in the habit of signing your work. A Mark Cothren will be a collector's item the way you are going. Well done.

Dave Smith

Have an appointment with a burled golden locust tree in Longview, WA.

Kurt Aebi
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Excellent, Mark, Excellent!

Mark Cothren
12-13-2005, 3:06 PM
Thanks folks!

Dave, I do sign my stuff - generally after I've snapped a few pics...:)

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 3:20 PM
Thanks folks!

Mark - and everybody else - not that I neccessairliy (sorry, I give up on spelling that word) feel that my stuff warrants permanent association with my name; but I am curious as to the recceommednded (yup, another one that i hate spelling) method for doing so.

Pyrography or ink (what kind?) or other.

Mark Cothren
12-13-2005, 3:50 PM
Hey, I'm still relatively new to this game...:-) I just sign mine with a fine tipped Sharpie. I've seen some others who engrave and if I had a steadier hand I might give that a go...

You could do like Dennis and just nail on some duck tape to the bottom with your name on it...:eek: ;) ;) :D

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 8:01 PM
You could do like Dennis and just nail on some duck tape to the bottom with your name on it...:eek: ;) ;) :D

Yea....but I've since learnt to not use those 16d nails you brought over. Got holes in the bottom of THREE Bowls because of them nails you brought. Next time, I'll just grind'em down to size first. :rolleyes: :D

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 8:02 PM
Thanks folks!

But that was AFTER I taught you how to write your name.!!!!:p :rolleyes: :D

Oh-h-h-h-h, I bet I'll pay for THAT one. ;) :D