PDA

View Full Version : Handplane storage cabinet and goldenrod

Mitchell Garnett
07-07-2019, 2:39 PM
I think I've gotten an approximate answer by searching the forum but I thought I'd ask for advice just in case there are folks who've tried this method and not found it successful.

I want to buy a cabinet for my hand planes - either a pre-made wooden kitchen cabinet or a short metal cabinet. I think wood would be better. Then I'd install a golden rod suitable to the volume of the cabinet. I'm looking for a quick way rather than make my own cabinet. I've found humidity a bigger problem here in east Texas than I did in Seattle to my surprise.

Will this work? Do I need to seal the door?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mitchell

Steve Eure
07-07-2019, 3:16 PM
Another way to combat the humidity is to keep a low wattage light bulb on all the time. I do this with my firearms in a safe and it has kept the rust at bay.

Carl Beckett
07-07-2019, 6:00 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but have shared some of your frustration with keeping nice tools from rusting. Frequent use is the best remedy.

One thing I did for tools that are less frequently used, is vacuum pack them with one of those food systems. (lived on a tropical island for a couple years, it was the only way to prevent rust).

John Lanciani
07-07-2019, 8:22 PM
My hand tool cabinet is wood with well fitting but not gasketed double doors. I have used it with a goldenrod for coming up on 10 years with 100% success at keeping rust at bay. I would do it again in a second. The nice things about a goldenrod as compared to a lightbulb are it is never too hot to touch and it’s almost impossible to break.

Randall J Cox
07-07-2019, 8:27 PM
What exactly is goldenrod??

John Lanciani
07-07-2019, 8:36 PM
What exactly is goldenrod??

https://www.btibrands.com/product/golden-rod-dehumidifier-rods/?mobile=true

Tom M King
07-07-2019, 10:56 PM
Mine are in waterproof toolboxes (as are all my tools that will fit in them), with desiccant cannisters, and need no wiping, or waxing to be kept rust free. I don't need to see them. I just need them to be ready to go to work when I need them.