PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw Advice

John Bailey
12-12-2005, 9:17 PM
I would like to get a good, quality jig saw. I haven't made up my mind on a bandsaw yet, and I need something for curves. The Craftsman that I've had for 20 yrs. has done a good job, but I'd like something with more accuracy, and heft.

Thanks for any advice.

John

James Ayars
12-12-2005, 9:20 PM
I replaced my worthless B&D last year with a Bosch 1590. That was the best power tool purchase I ever made. One of my friends told me there weas no way that 1590 could be as great as I was telling him it was. He bought one a couple months ago, called me on the phone and told me he now understood what I was talking about.

Also, if you go with a Bosch, spend the extra money and get the 1590 not the 1587. The blade change on the 1587 is terrible.
James

Jim Becker
12-12-2005, 9:28 PM
The new Bosch with the blade guides is an excellent choice. I bought Festool, before the new Bosch was available, but would be equally happy with either based on having both in my hands awhile back. (This is the ONLY Festool product that I own that I would say that about...and I do like the tool a whole lot, regardless)

Bob Yarbrough
12-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Love my Bosch

Frank Pellow
12-12-2005, 10:19 PM
My Festool jig saw is one of the best tool purchases that I have ever made. Hardly a day goes by where I do not use it. The barrel grip control is anmazing and the blade accuracy and straigtness beyond anything I thought was possible on a jig saw. :) However, the angle adjustment for cutting bevel is very primative. :( I have the older PS2 model (which cost me $240 (US) including shipping, Canadian taxes, and import charges). Maybe the angle adjusment has been fixed on the newer Trion model-I certainly hope that it has been.

I have not used the Bosch, but it looks to be a very good saw as well.

Kent Cori
12-12-2005, 10:27 PM
+3 on the Bosch. I have the barrel grip model which works well for me since I have large hands. If not, you may prefer the top handle model. Either one is great and probably the last jig saw you'll ever buy.

Corey Hallagan
12-12-2005, 10:29 PM
John, if you want the top of the line go for the Festool, it is a wonderfull unit otherwise go with the next best, the new Bosch 1590 (d-handle or 1591(Barrel handle). After 20 years of 20 -40.00 jigs saws and buying a new one every other year or so, I bought the 1591 and it is absolutely one of the best purchases you could make!! The machining, fit and finish, ease of loading and unloading blades, cut fast and straight and little viabration. Equally important, buy Bosch blades, very important!
Corey

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I've had a POS B&D since 1984, and pretty much never used it since then until last winter when my mother came to visit, She brought a piece of 3/4" birch plywood with her and asked me to cut this really wierd intricate shape into it. Too big for the BS so out comes the B&D. That I had a brand new blade for it surprised the heck out of me. Anyway...

Two minutes later she's shoving me in the car and we're off to the hardware store to get a Bosch 1587 AVS and she paid for it, saying that no son of hers should have that kind of junk in the shop.

To this day I have no idea how she knew what to buy, but glad she did. This thing is the cat's meow and gets used lots.

Cecil Arnold
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
It's hard to beat the Bosch. Andy, I had a mother like that. All I can say is we'll never be the man our mothers are.

Jerry Olexa
12-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Bosch...Love it..

Dennis McDonaugh
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Another vote for the Bosch, don't know how any other brand can beat it.

Jim Bell
12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Buy the Bosch.
Jim

Dave Falkenstein
12-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Festool if the price does not cause you heartburn. Otherwise the new Bosch with blade guides.

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Bosch!Bosch!Bosch!Bosch!

John Bailey
12-13-2005, 1:05 AM
I just checked Amazon and the price for the Bosch is $150. It's the 1591EVSK model. Is this the correct model? I was expecting a higher price.

Does anyone know a place in MI, or possibly Chicago, where I could check out the Festool. I had expected around a $250 price tag, so the heartburn hasn't started yet.

John

Dev Emch
12-13-2005, 1:26 AM
Hmmmmm,,,,,, that is a bunch of votes for the Bosh. I figured that you guys would be singing the song of Festool. I was looking at the festool and the mafell. The mafell costs about $450 dollars for the barrel grip and appears to be about one or two generations behind the trion. Right now, I am using a porter cable bayonett saw from the 1950s and it does not do bevels. So it may be time to upgrade although I do love the worm gear drive. So I will need to check out the Bosh. To many positive votes to not investigate. Does the Bosh have the blade guides as does the trion? I have heard that bosh sorta copied the trion blade guide system.

By the way. I recently opened a package of Porter Cable blades for my bayonett saw. Printed in tiny print on the blade was "made in switzerland". According to festool folks, there is one company in switzerland that makes only jig saw blades and they make the blades for virtually every jig saw in use today. This includes the bosh and festool blades. Interesting....

Bob Marino
12-13-2005, 7:51 AM
According to festool folks, there is one company in switzerland that makes only jig saw blades and they make the blades for virtually every jig saw in use today. This includes the bosh and festool blades. Interesting....[/quote]

Dev,

I used to think that all blades were made at the same factory in Switzerland also, especially because there is a Festool chart with corresponding Bosch blades. However, Bosch blades are made in Switzerland and the Festool blades are made in Germany.

Bob

tod evans
12-13-2005, 7:53 AM
i own two and am happy with both, bosch electric and sioux pneumatic. .02 tod

Frank Pellow
12-13-2005, 8:06 AM
I just checked Amazon and the price for the Bosch is $150. It's the 1591EVSK model. Is this the correct model? I was expecting a higher price.

Does anyone know a place in MI, or possibly Chicago, where I could check out the Festool. I had expected around a $250 price tag, so the heartburn hasn't started yet.

John
Hey John, Ontario is right next door to Michigan, Why don't you visit me and try my saw? I will even attempt to find some carrot juice for you. :D

Tyler Howell
12-13-2005, 8:18 AM
Festool Blew me away!!
Clean cut (ZCI), plenty of power. No vibe to the hand or work piece. Great DC.
Love the quick blade replacement.:cool:

Steve Clardy
12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Happy with my bosch. Will buy another if this one ever dies.

Travis Porter
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Bosch. Model with barrel grip and no tools needed for blade changes. Mine has to have a special screwdriver to change blades, but it is still worth it.

John Callahan
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't overlook Milwaukee's 6266-22. I've got the older -21 model. Basically an AEG dressed in Milwaukee red, I've found it much better than the Bosch 1581 it replaced. More power, smoother, and far easier blade changes. The Bosch 1590 looks to be much improved but I'd still give the Milwaukee a look. Milwaukee is also coming out with a new model, the 6268-21.......... will be curious on how it stacks up against the 1590.

Quinn McCarthy
12-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Bosch!!

I was thinking just last night about what mine has been through. Still cuts great. Cuts quick and clean.

Jerry White
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
I haven't tried the Festool, but I own the Bosch barrel grip. Everytime I use this tool I am thankful I bought it.

Brad Schmid
12-13-2005, 1:58 PM
Another vote for Bosch. I don't remember what the model number is, but it's about 7yrs old w/barrell grip. Great saw.

Brad

John Bailey
12-13-2005, 2:32 PM
OK guys, as always, great advice and this time it doesn't mean I have to look at too many different models. Sounds like Festool and Bosch are the clear contenders. Of course I will have to struggle with my penchant for value and "green." Bosch has the value and Festool has the "green." We'll let ya'll know what the decision is some time in January, after recovery from Christmas shopping.

John

Lynn Sonier
12-13-2005, 3:56 PM
Sometimes you can find pretty good reconditioned tools on ubid.com. I bought a Porter Cable jig saw a while back and really like it.

Dave Falkenstein
12-13-2005, 5:20 PM
...Does anyone know a place in MI, or possibly Chicago, where I could check out the Festool. I had expected around a $250 price tag, so the heartburn hasn't started yet.

John

Look for Festool dealers here:

http://www.festoolusa.com/find_dealer.aspx

Walt Pater
12-13-2005, 6:42 PM
Another Festoolian For Bosch here. My Festool's little clip-on hex key (used to change the bevels) came up missing today, just when I needed it, cutting horns at 11 deg. in 8/4 cedar for window sills. grrrrrrrr. It was cold enough, then I had to find another allen head. I want tool-less bevel changes! NOW!
About the Swiss sawblade rumor- Bosch owns the Scintilla (spelling?) plant in Switzerland. Rumor has it that if your blade says "Swiss made," it was made at that plant. Some Bosch miter saws come with lousy factory blades which say "made in USA." Go figure.
BTW, the diversity of Bosch's worldwide holdings is a little staggering.

Matt Meiser
12-13-2005, 6:52 PM
Another happy Bosch owner. I can't believe the difference between it and my old POS. Electric Tool in Ann Arbor is a Festool dealer.

Don Bergren
12-13-2005, 8:40 PM
I have the Milwaukee 6266-22 and it's been a great saw. It replaced an older Craftsman and it was then that I realized that the Milwaukee was actually the first jig saw I owned. The old Craftsman was just a vibrating wood cutter. :D

Ron Jones near Indy
12-13-2005, 8:46 PM
Bosch is very good. If you can find the older model, it's often less than $125. I use mine for cutting wood, plastic and steel. Works well.:)

Jeff Booth
12-13-2005, 9:58 PM
Been there and done that like all the other posters vis-a-via the old black and decker. I have my Dad's saw circa 1970 that I learned to cut curves with when I was a child. But all sentimentalism aside it was time to get a better tool.

My purchasing method was perhaps a little different than others. I am a Bosch employee and hence get somewhat of a discount :p. Therefore I did not even consider any other brand. With the discount, all 3 of the available corded jig saws were about the same price. I have small hands and therefore the 1587 was not very comfortable. But once I tried the blade change and saw the new blade stabilization on the 1590 I was 100% sold. It is a pretty impressive product if I must say so. I understand those that like the barrel grip can get a new 1591 coming out soon (or maybe it is out now) that has the quick blade change and the hardened stabilization system.

JB

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Jeff, it's good to know that a barrel grip might be in the offering soon...that's my prefered (and comfortable) choice when it comes to a hand-held jigsaw. There are likely many others who feel the same way.

Frank Pellow
12-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Jeff, it's good to know that a barrel grip might be in the offering soon...that's my prefered (and comfortable) choice when it comes to a hand-held jigsaw. There are likely many others who feel the same way.
Here is a statistic the back up what Jim said. Festool's Trion jg saw is available in both D-grip and barrel-grip. On the Festool Owner Group (mainly USA based) there is a database where members can maintain an inventory of thier tools. 72% of the Trion jig saws registered there are barrel grip, only 28% are D-grip.

Don Boys
12-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Check out

http://www.festoolusa.com/find_dealer_detail.aspx?state=MI

for dealers in MI. Also

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FestoolOwnersGroup/

might offer some help. Most Festool owners are very enthusiastic about Festool.

Don Boys

Barry Beech
12-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I had a Dewalt Jig saw and hated the cuts it made so I took it back and bought a Bosch. I love it. Never played with a Festool.

Jeff Booth
12-16-2005, 4:36 PM
Jim and others,

According to the Bosch tools website the new barrel grip version jigsaw with the quick blade change and hardened blade stabilization arms is now available. THe model number is 1591. Below is the link, hopefully I can get that inserted correctly,

J

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175981&G=54927&I=57884