PDA

View Full Version : PC 352EVS belt sander electrical issue

Dave Mount
07-06-2019, 7:15 PM
Hello all, looking for some troubleshooting help. Have a Porter Cable 352VS belt sander (Type 3) probably 20 years old. Sanding old finish off a deck today, finished a section and let go of the trigger to move over, pulled the trigger to start the next section and got absolutely nothing. No hum, not a sound. No ominous signs leading up to this, and it did not stop itself, I stopped it then it would not restart.

After checking to confirm the circuit was hot, took it to the shop and disassembled it, thinking a brush problem. Brushes were fine, lots left and very smoothly worn. With the trigger pulled and locked, plugged it in and checked voltage at the connection to the brush housing and both sides read 120 V. I'm thinking this rules out issues with the trigger and the variable speed. Other suggestions? The armature moves easily and smoothly when rotated by hand. How would I test to see if it's the winding or the armature? -- problems with both of those appear fatal, as the cost/availability of the parts would make replacement seem somewhere between financially unwise to impossible.

Thanks for any pointers.

Dave