PDA

View Full Version : wiper blades - no longer sold alone?

Stephen Tashiro
07-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Have wiper blades become a dealer-only item? What I call a wiper blade is just the rubber part of the wiper, not the assembly that holds it and not the whole wiper arm. Local auto parts stores no longer sell wiper blades. They sell the wiper blade together packaged together with the other equipment. When I look online, what sellers call a "wiper refill" is more that just the rubber blade of the wiper.

I wouldn't mind buying the other equipment with the blade if it worked, but I've never found an aftermarket wiper arms that actually worked on Toyotas. Right now, I want to replace blades on a 2012 Sienna.

Mike Henderson
07-06-2019, 12:28 AM
I don't remember where I bought them, but I bought replacement wiper blades for my car not long ago. If I remember correctly, there were many places that sold them - this is through the Internet.

I went for a premium blade because I found the OEM blades didn't last.

Mike

Frederick Skelly
07-06-2019, 6:17 AM
They sure dont sell just the refills at my local parts house. I had to buy the assembly that clips to the arm (which also holds the blade). For two "blades" it was over $40. I was shocked.

roger wiegand
07-06-2019, 7:37 AM
I haven't see refillable arms or refills for them for twenty years, at least. The world has gone over to replacing the whole assembly. I don't miss the regular problem of losing the little clip on the end and having the rubber squeegee work its way out while driving down the road

George Bokros
07-06-2019, 7:57 AM
They sure dont sell just the refills at my local parts house. I had to buy the assembly that clips to the arm (which also holds the blade). For two "blades" it was over $40. I was shocked.

The last ones I bought for truck set me back $60.00. Yes they were premium blades but they last far longer than the bargain priced blades.

Tom M King
07-06-2019, 7:58 AM
When was the last time you replaced wiper blades?

Frederick Skelly
07-06-2019, 8:20 AM
When was the last time you replaced wiper blades?

About 2 years ago, I think. They were good quality blades that I bought at the oil change place (bosch blades?). I know the oil change shop prices are inflated, so I was expecting to pay less at the parts store. Ha! Silly me. :)

Jason Roehl
07-06-2019, 8:29 AM
I haven't see refillable arms or refills for them for twenty years, at least. The world has gone over to replacing the whole assembly. I don't miss the regular problem of losing the little clip on the end and having the rubber squeegee work its way out while driving down the road

Same here. The refills were a pain, and it always seemed I would have to fiddle with the arm because I'd bend something trying to get the refill to slide in, then have a funny spot in the wipe pattern. New blade assemblies are great, and I think the materials have gotten better.

The biggest thing I've found that destroys wiper blades is the whitish, translucent frost that can look like condensation. It's abrasive, and wears the blades out prematurely. Now I always check before I get in the vehicle, and I fully scrape the windshield if it's frost. I also make sure I turn off the wipers when I park so that if I start the vehicle before scraping, it doesn't grind them on the frost.

Frederick Skelly
07-06-2019, 8:49 AM
The biggest thing I've found that destroys wiper blades is the whitish, translucent frost that can look like condensation. It's abrasive, and wears the blades out prematurely. Now I always check before I get in the vehicle, and I fully scrape the windshield if it's frost. I also make sure I turn off the wipers when I park so that if I start the vehicle before scraping, it doesn't grind them on the frost.

Thats a real good point. May be why my last set didnt last longer. Thanks for the tip.

Jim Becker
07-06-2019, 9:12 AM
It's been years since I've seen "refills". I just replace the assembly with the correct sized unit in each position and generally use Bosch Icon or PIAA brand purchased via Amazon.

michael langman
07-06-2019, 9:26 AM
I stopped buying winter blades about 15 years ago, and I live in Vermont. They were always splitting off at the end of the blade.
Summer wiper blades without the protection from ice last much longer and work better.
I have not found just the rubber refill at any of the parts stores for quite awhile.

Curt Harms
07-06-2019, 10:07 AM
I don't recall ever having seen just the blade, always the assembly. SWMBO bought RainX branded 'premium' wipers. We'll see how they last.

lowell holmes
07-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Why don't you contact a Toyota dealer. I bet they can help.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrCwOJyryBdeFwAxBUPxQt.;_ylc=X1MDMjEx NDcwMDU1OQRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1zei0wMDEEZ3ByaWQDdm5sQU tJRVFUMm1kR1ptTzliUllNQQRuX3JzbHQDMARuX3N1Z2cDMTAE b3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzIEcHFzdHIDdG 95b3RhIHBhcnRhBHBxc3RybAMxMgRxc3RybAMyNwRxdWVyeQN0 b3lvdGElMjBwYXJ0cyUyMG9ubGluZSUyMGNhdGFsb2cEdF9zdG 1wAzE1NjI0MjMxODAEdXNlX2Nhc2UD?p=toyota+parts+onli ne+catalog&fr2=sa-gp-search&hspart=sz&hsimp=yhs-001&param1=dGFnUTEyMzI0MTEtbWFwcyxtYXBzLHYyXzE2MjIzNzI wMTVjZDQ3OWU3MzlhNzA3LjQxNzAwNjkxXzc2ZGYxNzVlODI2O WI4ZWZhNWFiYmFkNGFhOTY5MTJjLFVTLHR4LGRpY2tpbnNvbg&param2=eyJzZXJwR2VvUmVkIjoibm8iLCJleHRUYWdzIjpbInR oZW1lX250c19tYXBzMiJdLCJicm93c2VyTmFtZSI6IkNocm9tZ SIsImJyb3dzZXJWZXJzaW9uIjoiNzQiLCJleHRWZXJzaW9uIjo iaG9zdGVkIiwiZXh0TmFtZSI6Ik1hcCBNeSBKb3VybmV5IiwiY 2xpY2tTcmMiOiJ5aHNfc3luIiwiY2hyb21lU3RvcmVJZCI6Im5 lY2lqaWNmamtka2lhbGtrZ25nY2Nqa2FvYmJtbGRjIiwic2VsV GhlbWUiOiJ0aGVtZV9udHNfbWFwczIiLCJkb21haW4iOiJ3d3c ubWFwbXlqb3VybmV5LmNvIiwiYXV0b1N1Z2dlc3RDbGsiOiJvc mdhbmljIiwib3JTcmMiOiJuZXd0YWIiLCJpY2ciOiIwIiwiaGZ ldyI6ImQ1YTJkOGVjLTdlY2ItODE0OS04OWNmLTM5MjczYWMwO TNjMSIsInJldl9zcmMiOiIxIn0&type=type7072964-sv7-dGFnUTEyMzI0MTEtbWFwcw-257662f11202d72cebec29d7d09f0f45

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2019, 12:33 PM
I buy just the refills from my dealership.

Grant Wilkinson
07-06-2019, 1:07 PM
I can and do buy the refills from my Acura dealer. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to last. I can't speak for Toyota.

Lee DeRaud
07-06-2019, 3:15 PM
SWMBO bought RainX branded 'premium' wipers. We'll see how they last.I've been using those for the last decade or so. Wiper blades here harden from the dry season sun and get streaky long before they actually wear out, but I usually get three years from a set.

Frank Pratt
07-06-2019, 3:17 PM
The Honda dealership just sells refills, which are a fraction of the cost of the whole blade assembly. Easy to install too.

Jerome Stanek
07-06-2019, 4:10 PM
The last time I replace with refills was in 2001 on my F350 That was the only thing that they had as I was in a real small town and had to hit 2 different stores to get them

Jim Koepke
07-06-2019, 6:11 PM
Bought individual Bosch wipers at Costco. My recollection is they were less than $20 for the pair.

jtk

Bill Dufour
07-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Walmart has the best prices on blades. I have not seen refills for 10 years or more. Buy them in the fall before the rainy season. I try to buy them when school starts and install when the first rain comes around October. I replace the drivers side every fall and move it to the passengers side. If it is a really wet year I will end up buying a new one for the passengers side as well.
Bil lD

Ron Citerone
07-07-2019, 8:52 AM
I have used different name brand wiper blades on my 2007 Sienna and haven't had any problems with several brands. These are not blade replacements, but the whole arm type.

Rob Luter
07-07-2019, 5:40 PM
As a kid I worked at NAPA and refills were the norm. At a couple bucks they weren’t profitable though. Headlights (sealed beams) were $3 too. I used AANCO (the good ones) and had to replace them every year. Now I use Bosch complete blades. About $40 a pair as I recall :eek:. They’re silicone and have lasted three years. Just wash the blade a couple times a year and they work like brand new.

Lee DeRaud
07-07-2019, 8:15 PM
The Honda dealership just sells refills, which are a fraction of the cost of the whole blade assembly. Easy to install too.

I can and do buy the refills from my Acura dealer. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to last. I can't speak for Toyota.Maybe they're better now...I haven't tried them on my current Accord. But the dealer refill-style I tried a couple times on my '03 Acura were a pain to install and wore out and/or tried to go walk-about within a year: it's what drove me to the Rain-X whole-arm units.

Bruce Wrenn
07-07-2019, 9:05 PM
Used to be that each brand of car used a different mounting system to hold blade assembly to wiper arm. Now there are only a couple styles of mounting systems, so it's quicker to replace the whole blade. Another plus is the new assembly maintains the correct pressure along the length of the wiper

Ronald Blue
07-07-2019, 11:40 PM
The common preferred blade is called a "beam" blade assembly. I've found Bosch to be top quality and while not inexpensive they last well and do a great job. Much better than most of the original assemblies.