PDA

View Full Version : General Int. 25-650 opinions

Kevin Groenke
12-12-2005, 7:55 PM
Hey turners.

I'm trying to decide whether a General International 25-650 is worth serious consideration for a step up from our Jet Midi in a college shop.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25650a.html

For $1600 us, all the specs seem right: 16x42, DCevs, rotating headstock is appealing, I think I've seen an outboard tool rest. It looks like they've replaced the chintzy stamped steel stand with something a little more respectable.

Other possibilities

Delta 46-745 - $1900 (so is this thing junk or what, i'm really getting mixed messages on it)
Jet 1642 EVS - $2000
Nova DVR - $2200
PM 3520 - $2500

I would love to go for the 3520, but $1000 will buy most of the gouges, chucks & blanks we need to get started.

Being an architectural model shop, turning is relatively infrequent (more infrequent than it should be IMHO) so as much as I would like to has a oneway, I really shouldn't blow more taxpayer $ than I need to. Of course I don't want something worthless either.

Thanks for your help.

John Hart
12-12-2005, 9:26 PM
I don't know anything about the machine itself, but I read all the specs. Sure looks great from here....from a guy with not a heck of a lot of experience. Nice Price too. I also checked several of the other forums and did a google search. Pretty good reviews out there from hands-on experience.

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Kevin - perhaps you could moose around on some Canadian turning sites to get an opinion? However, the one in Stratford, Ontario won't be much help.