PDA

View Full Version : synthetic deck maintenance/coating

mark kosse
07-03-2019, 5:53 PM
howdy folks, i've been trying to research this with no luck. I was wanting some type of coating for trex like decking. anyone know of anything? I'd like to protect it some from the tx sun and keep it a little cleaner.

Frank Pratt
07-03-2019, 6:17 PM
howdy folks, i've been trying to research this with no luck. I was wanting some type of coating for trex like decking. anyone know of anything? I'd like to protect it some from the tx sun and keep it a little cleaner.

Pull it all up & install real wood like ipe. It will turn grey, but it's a nice grey. And weathered wood will always, always look better than weathered plastic.

Paul F Franklin
07-03-2019, 7:05 PM
Take a look at Olympic Smartguard. A buddy of mine applied it to his composite decking and it looks pretty good. Too soon to tell how it will hold up, but it's easy enough to apply.

Steve Jenkins
07-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Saw something on tv about that. Rustoleum makes a product specifically for composite decking. Unfortunately I can’t remember the name

Ole Anderson
07-04-2019, 6:34 AM
Old style uncoated Trex? I have it along with the newer coated Veranda version. Old Trex has a known mildew issue. Before you coat it with anything, power wash it, use 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner (available at HD and Lowe's) to kill the green stuff, it doesn't hurt to use a stiff brush to work it in, then power wash it again. As for coating it? I have thought about it, but decided i didn't want to put something on that would be even more maintenance if it starts wearing off or peeling. My newer deck and docks get the coated version. Simple power wash every spring is all it takes to get it looking new. Yea, an exotic hardwood would be nice, but out of the question cost wise for most of us.

Frank Pratt
07-04-2019, 9:53 AM
Yea, an exotic hardwood would be nice, but out of the question cost wise for most of us.

That was the point I was trying to make in my post above: the exotic hardwoods are comparable or cheaper than good quality composites.

mark kosse
07-04-2019, 2:49 PM
Pull it all up & install real wood like ipe. It will turn grey, but it's a nice grey. And weathered wood will always, always look better than weathered plastic.

That is one DA response...

mark kosse
07-04-2019, 2:59 PM
Power washing cleans it up just fine. I'd just like to protect it more. I use oly smart guard on the ERC rails but I wouldn't put it on the deck as it takes days to dry good.

steve, I googled rustoleum deck refresh and it looks promising. It's water based but so is the oly. I have some other things I built from excess deck and I may try it on them. Part of the reason for putting a finish on is it was almost impossible not to get a few drips on the deck when treating the rails.

if you click on the pic it turns right side up.

Frank Pratt
07-04-2019, 5:17 PM
That is one DA response...

Well Mark, it wasn't meant to be & that's exactly what I did with my own deck.

I don't think that kind of comment is helpful to the discussion.

mark kosse
07-04-2019, 10:10 PM
I do. Because you did it doesn't make it right, realistic or economical. You didn't try to answer the question, you simply interjected your own thoughts. Tearing out a 4000+ dollar material cost deck doesn't make sense. My deck is fine. In fact, better than fine. No problems, splinters, anything. I just would like to protect it more. Like I wax my furniture or truck.

Frank Pratt
07-04-2019, 11:29 PM
I do. Because you did it doesn't make it right, realistic or economical. You didn't try to answer the question, you simply interjected your own thoughts. Tearing out a 4000+ dollar material cost deck doesn't make sense. My deck is fine. In fact, better than fine. No problems, splinters, anything. I just would like to protect it more. Like I wax my furniture or truck.

Then you can just choose to ignore my comments. It's just offered as an alternative solution. That's the great thing about this forum; ask a question & pick the answer you like. No need to get your panties in a knot.