Aaron Rosenthal
07-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Canada is 152 today;
USA's largest trading partner;
Seamless, longest "undefended" border between our two countries in the world;
Allied with you militarily since 1778;
Common language (discounting regional accents and local usage);
A whole bunch more.

Looking forward to wishing y'all a happy Independence Day on July 4 - and watching all the Jeff Goldblum/Will Smith reruns.

George Bokros
07-01-2019, 2:18 PM
Happy Birthday to our great neighbor, CANADA, Eh. Cannot think of country that treats us better.

Frederick Skelly
07-01-2019, 5:47 PM
Many happy returns to our good friends in Canada! Here's wishing you 152 more!
Fred

Mike Henderson
07-01-2019, 6:00 PM
Happy Birthday, Canada! Oh, Canada.

Mike

Rod Sheridan
07-02-2019, 7:53 AM
Thanks, here's wishing all my American friends on the forum a Happy 4th of July.

I hope you manage to spend time with your family and friends..............Regards, Rod.

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2019, 2:33 PM
Happy Birthday Canada!!!!

Patrick Walsh
07-02-2019, 8:18 PM
Happy birthday to a great and beautiful country.

James Waldron
07-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Thanks, here's wishing all my American friends on the forum a Happy 4th of July.

I hope you manage to spend time with your family and friends..............Regards, Rod.

That's so NICE!!! :)

Rick Potter
07-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Excuse my ignorance Aaron, but are you saying that Canada was a military ally with the US during the war of 1812?

If so, please educate me as I am confused.

PS: Happy Birthday Canada.

Bob Glenn
07-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Rick, I was told, by a good Canadian friend when I asked what the cannons overlooking a Canadian bay were for, that we in the states weren't taught the truth about that war in school.

lowell holmes
07-03-2019, 12:07 PM
What documentation is required for a US citizen to visit Canada?

Frank Pratt
07-03-2019, 2:34 PM

US passport

David Powell
07-03-2019, 4:55 PM
Either a passport or an enhanced drivers license, though not all states issue the enhanced drivers license.

Jason Roehl
07-04-2019, 7:28 AM
Or a passport card if you are not flying.

Stan Calow
07-04-2019, 8:12 AM
Canada was still British territory until 1867.

Frank Pratt
07-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Follow this link to get it from the horse's mouth: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Of course, being a government website, nothing is stated in a clear, easy to understand manner.

Rod Sheridan
07-05-2019, 7:46 AM
Canada was still British territory until 1867.

Stan, you're correct that we became a country in 1867, however Canada became independent in 1931 with the signing of the Statute of Westminister. Until the signing of that statute our parliament was subordinate to England's parliament.

regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
07-05-2019, 7:49 AM
Excuse my ignorance Aaron, but are you saying that Canada was a military ally with the US during the war of 1812?

Sorry, we were a British colony in 1812, as England was at war with the USA at that time, so were we..........Rod.

Rick Potter
07-05-2019, 2:03 PM
Thanks Rod,

That is what I was taught also, but Aarons post mentioning that we were military allies since 1778 made me wonder if I had missed something. Maybe he meant 1878.

In any case, we are great neighbors.

Rod Sheridan
07-06-2019, 1:33 PM
Thanks Rick, we are great friends.

For Canadians, it’s tough to appreciate the grief of the American Civil War, with perhaps friends, neighbours and family fighting each other.

In 1812 there wouldn’t have been much of a border, and at that time you would have had very little to no interaction with government. It would have been very easy to be hunting or even build your house on the “wrong” side of the border.

The war of 1812 would have been like that, The British had a professional army, the US and Canada didn’t, we had a ragtag militia, and the “war” was best described as a bunch of skirmishes by farmers who wanted to go home.

The famous American rallying cry “Remember the Raisin” surprisingly has nothing to do with fruit😀

A very readable book is “Flames across the border” by Pierre Burton, well worth reading....
Rod

Günter VögelBerg
07-06-2019, 2:16 PM
As an immigrant to the United States I am glad to have such a fine neighbor.

I am apparently going to be spending a week in Toronto in November. Anything I should do? I'm primarily interested in art and food. Woodworking stores worth visiting?

Rod Sheridan
07-06-2019, 3:54 PM
Hi Gunter, I would suggest

The Art Gallery of Ontario

The Royal Ontario Museum

A stroll through the Distillery District

We have several Lee Valley Tools locations, including one downtown on King Street.

We also have a Felder location, unfortunately the big WMS show is at the beginning of November......Rod

Günter VögelBerg
07-06-2019, 4:30 PM
Hi Gunter, I would suggest

The Art Gallery of Ontario

The Royal Ontario Museum

A stroll through the Distillery District

We have several Lee Valley Tools locations, including one downtown on King Street.

We also have a Felder location, unfortunately the big WMS show is at the beginning of November......Rod

I forgot about Lee Valley. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!!

Stan Calow
07-06-2019, 5:14 PM
Günter, we were just there - on Canada Day! Go up the CN tower, whether for dinner or not. We enjoyed the Hop On Hop Off bus tour which also included a 45 minute boat tour of the harbor. St Lawrence market is pretty cool if you like old fashioned indoor markets. Try a Beaver Tail for something good to eat.

Aaron Rosenthal
07-07-2019, 12:33 AM

LOL! You got me there.
It looked strange when I wrote it, and somehow I never got back to do the correction.
'Course to WAS the last time we ever fought each other - now, Rick, quick now - who won that skirmish
Happy 4th

Rick Potter
07-07-2019, 4:56 AM
Without cheating and looking it up, I am gonna take a wild guess and say it was when George Washington attacked Montreal.

But hey, I live in CA. We weren't even a state unit the US wanted our gold in 1850.