PDA

View Full Version : Incra I-box jig and Freud 6" dado set

marlin adams
07-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Well here in a few days I might be able to get the Incra I-box jig and a set of the Freud 6" dado set. I do have a 8" dado set from home depot but it was a cheap set and the dados it cut was kinda crappy so if I am going to get a box jig instead of making one I might as well upgrade my dado set. And also get the size Rigid recommends for my R4516 tablesaw.

I was wondering if anyone else is using the Icra I-box jig?

Carl Beckett
07-01-2019, 11:25 AM
I have the I-box jig and think its slick. Finger joints, repeatable, quick, in any size.

Charles Lent
07-01-2019, 12:43 PM
The I-Box jig works great with the Freud SBOX8 blade for making 1/4 and 3/8 box joints. I also found that a Freud flat tooth ripping blade with a 0.126" tooth FTG makes great 1/8" box joints. I was told many years ago that "You can't make box joints in plywood", but I do it frequently in Baltic Birch plywood. See photos attached.

Charley

Mark Klosky
07-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Exactly what Charles said. The Freud Box Joint blade set cuts an absolutely flat bottom dado which is important in fine work. My Freud better dado set tends to cut tiny ears that become real noticeable when cutting multiples for box joints or keys to reinforce miters. I have been considering getting a second box joint set and stacking them for bigger box joints like 1/2" - 3/4" instead of using the router table. Has anyone else tried this?

Dave Cav
07-01-2019, 1:19 PM
I use my I Box jig with an Oshlun dado stack; nice flat bottoms. My Freud dado stack is reserved for rougher work.

marlin adams
07-01-2019, 2:43 PM
I use my I Box jig with an Oshlun dado stack; nice flat bottoms. My Freud dado stack is reserved for rougher work.

Yea I just look at the Oshlun 6" dado stack and it is 30 teeth compare to the Freud 6" dado stack I was looking at with 10 teeth.

Charles Lent
07-01-2019, 6:10 PM
Marlin,

I found a deal on an I-Box for you. He also has the Freud SBOX8 blade set, also for a good price.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/incra-i-box.67564/

Charley

Art Mann
07-01-2019, 6:30 PM
It is not the number of teeth that makes the Freud Dado set undesirable. It is the little "bat ears" that are purposely machined into the blades that go on the outsides of the stack. I know that sounds kind of strange but if you examine the Freud dado set, or look at an actual dado made with one, you will see exactly what I mean. Those little tips are designed to make a clean shoulder on a dado cut. A lot of dado sets are made the same way.

Yea I just look at the Oshlun 6" dado stack and it is 30 teeth compare to the Freud 6" dado stack I was looking at with 10 teeth.

Ben Rivel
07-01-2019, 6:46 PM
I use the I-Box jig with the Forrest 2 Piece Finger Joint Set (LINK (https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/forrest-2-piece-finger-joint-set-fj08242)).

Peter Kuhlman
07-01-2019, 10:09 PM
The Freud box joint double blade set works good for this.

Mike Manning
07-02-2019, 2:36 PM
I've got the Incra I-box jig and the SBOX8 by Freud. I have yet to use my SBOX8 dado set as I've also got the Freud Super Dado set. I had previously made my own jigs for box joints but the set up with the I-box jig is so quick. I really love it. And no complaints with my Freud dado sets either. Recommend both!

marlin adams
07-02-2019, 6:07 PM
Marlin,

I found a deal on an I-Box for you. He also has the Freud SBOX8 blade set, also for a good price.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/incra-i-box.67564/

Charley

I might hit him up when I get paid for a engine I rebuilt for a friend here in a couple of days if he still has it.

Charles Lent
07-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Marlin,

You waited too long. Both were sold yesterday. Almost anything on our club's website swap board goes unsold for more than a few days.

Charley

Ed Edwards
07-04-2019, 4:30 PM
I too use the I-Box jig with the Forrest 2 Piece Finger Joint Set!
Work Great!

Ed

Frank Pratt
07-04-2019, 5:14 PM
The I-Box jig works great with the Freud SBOX8 blade for making 1/4 and 3/8 box joints. I also found that a Freud flat tooth ripping blade with a 0.126" tooth FTG makes great 1/8" box joints. I was told many years ago that "You can't make box joints in plywood", but I do it frequently in Baltic Birch plywood. See photos attached.

Charley

I think box joints & Baltic Birch were made for each other. Super strong joint & they look great too. It's my go to when making drawers for utility projects.

I have a dado set that cuts 'bat ears' into the corners, but they are so small that after the joint is glued up they are not visible. Some dado set make pretty big bat ears though.

Charles Lent
07-06-2019, 12:07 PM
I too use a Freud dado blade when making 1/2 - 1" box joints. On larger box joints the imperfections caused by a dado stack with/without bat ears isn't as noticeable I use my Freud SD608 Dial-A-Width blade set. The Freud SBOX8 blade set or similar by other sources produces nice flat and square box joint cuts in 1/4 and 3/8" widths. For 1/8" I go with a Freud LM72R010 ripping blade that has a 0.126" kerf width that is also a Flat Tooth Grind and it makes great 1/8" box joints for smaller projects. After buying my I-Box jig, all of my shop made box joint jigs went in the burn pile. The I-Box jig saved me a lot of shop storage space, since I think I had a separate shop made jig for each size box joint from 1/8" up to 1 inch.

Charley