PDA

View Full Version : How old is my vintage saw ?

Kenneth Eggert
06-29-2019, 7:42 PM
Hi all, I am a new member from Sydney AU. I have just started collecting and restoring vintage hand saws.. The age of some is straight forward but I have one which is a bit baffling . The saw is a crosscut, 26" long about 1" at the toe and the heel protrudes half an inch below the handle,,, The medallion is Atkins but a bit different in that the Atkins logo AAA is in the centre and below that in heavier stamping is ATKINS, just above that in very small stamping is says Trade Mark.

I have done all the usual investigation to try and date this but no luck. I was hoping one of the members could shed some light on this for me.

Thank you and regards

Ken Eggert

Frederick Skelly
06-29-2019, 8:32 PM
Welcome Ken! Glad you've joined us! I dont know the answer to your question, but someone will.

Next time you have a hand tool question, try to post it in the Neanderthal forum here. That's where all the hand tool heavies hang out.

Fred

Jim Koepke
06-30-2019, 1:02 AM
Howdy Kenneth,

One of the ways of establishing the date of manufacture are the nuts in the handle.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html is for Disston saws, but the date of the patents on the nut styles may be helpful in establishing if it was made before 1888 or after. If they are after and there is not a patent date, then they were made after 1913 since patents usually ran for 15 years.

The stamping being different may indicate they were made for sale outside of the US of A.

My recollection of when medallions were switched from brass to steel is a bit fuzzy, but if they are steel then it is likely 1930s or later.

jtk

steven c newman
06-30-2019, 1:09 AM
Food for thought...
While the medallion is a "Diamond Edge" brand.....look at the handle...there is a "AAA" logo stamped into the wood itself.

Kenneth Eggert
06-30-2019, 8:12 PM
thanks for the info Fred..
I'm sure I will be posting in future.

Regards
Ken

Kenneth Eggert
06-30-2019, 8:16 PM
Hey y'all.... Appreciate your reply.. I have a couple of Disston saws to work on when I get to them one of which looks like it comes from Canada...and the Tenon saw I'm still investigating.

Best regards and thanks
Ken