PDA

View Full Version : Green Powermatic 6” Jointer - feedback?

Jack Frederick 135
06-28-2019, 10:38 PM
What are your thoughts on this? I’m considering offering $150.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/351656795499505/

roger wiegand
06-29-2019, 9:10 AM
Chances are it's a solid machine that works well. For that kind of price it's hard to go too far wrong. 6" is frustratingly narrow-- that's what I have and I'm unhappy almost every time I use it. A lot of the wood I use is in the 6-8" wide category, and I hate ripping it down to fit the jointer, and jointing by hand is long and tiring. 8" would meet 80% of my needs, but I'm stuck coveting a 16" jointer/planer that would meet 99% of my needs. at 10x the price of a used 8" machine.

If you're good with the 6" width and it seems to work well I don't see how you lose on this. At worst it might want some bearings at some point.

Matt Day
06-29-2019, 11:37 AM
That’s a very nice machine at a great price. Plan another $100 for clean up and knives, and make sure it’s single phase.

ray grundhoefer
06-29-2019, 5:22 PM
Very good jointer for that price. I went to look at it on line but it is sold. Did you buy it or did someone beat you to it.

Bill Dufour
06-29-2019, 6:21 PM
Would that have raising screws for the knives or is it too old for them. My Parks planer does not and changing knives takes awhile. I bent a screwdriver into a 90 degree hook to make a tool to raise the knives.
Bil lD.

Tom M King
06-29-2019, 7:15 PM
I've taken all the setting screws out of my jointers, and setting a knife takes maybe 20 seconds.

edited to add: I looked at the linked ad, and it says sold anyway.

Jack Frederick 135
07-01-2019, 7:21 PM
Well he sold it before I had a chance.

Found a Jet JJ6, looks clean. Comes with new set of knives and mobile base. He is willing to go down to $375. What do you guys think?

I have never own a jointer so this is a new journey.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/405502810173447/

Jack Frederick 135
07-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Or would you suggest this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/807835306278135/

Mike Kees
07-02-2019, 12:29 AM
Jack ,my advice depends on what size wood you normally work with. If it is pieces 6 inches and narrower and about 8 feet or less in length either of those machines will work. I would suggest buying the cheapest 6'' jointer that you find in good shape. My reason is if you look at adds for used jointers everyone is selling a 6 inch, usually because they have upgraded to a bigger one. If you buy cheap and decide to sell later it is easier to regain your capital. I had a 6'' jointer for years,mainly because it took me about 5 years to find a 8'' model. I will also say that a 6 inch jointer is way better than having no jointer . Good luck.

glenn bradley
07-02-2019, 8:30 AM
You are already getting the recurring theme on 6" jointers. Those that find them adequate are in the minority. There are certainly folks who need nothing wider for the things they do and that's great. My 6" lasted about a month and I upgraded. 'Frustratingly narrow' says it all.

Matt Day
07-02-2019, 8:59 AM
“Frustratingly narrow” is also one of the reasons you see so many 6” jointers for sale - they’re sold when the owner realizes he/she should have gotten a bigger one.

Jack Frederick 135
07-02-2019, 9:19 AM
Makes sense on the 6” comments.

So, help me work through this. I don’t have 240 in my shop. I could run it pretty easily but don’t have plans to right now.

I have a single garage bay to work with so space is at a premium.

From what I have read and researched (keep in mind I’m about 4 months into this damn expensive and fun hobby!) most 8” are 240v and 72” tables. Most 6” are 120v and 45-48” tables.

I’m comprising, and know that going in, but I think a jointer, even small, is better than no jointer. At least I’ll be able to effectively edge joint most anything. Right now I’m using my router table with jointer shims to edge joint.

So, that’s my logic, please challenge it! I want to learn.

Bill Dufour
07-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Yes a 8" jointer is longer, but in truth most boards take more room then a 6" jointer anyway. You have to allot twice the length of a board for the jointing space. Unless you plan on boards no longer then two feet a 8' jointer uses no more space.
Was that older jointer a center mount fence? Do not buy one with a end mount fence which has to be adjusted to vertical every time it is moved.
Bill D

ray grundhoefer
07-02-2019, 9:21 PM
OWWM.ORG rule #5, in the amount of time it takes you to decide if a good tool is worth the price someone else will beat you to it.

ray grundhoefer
07-02-2019, 9:29 PM
I have had a powermatic model 50 for 10 years (green one). would like to get an 8 inch. havent found one for the right price yet. I would buy what you can afford now. You can always upgrade later.

Mike Kees
07-02-2019, 9:59 PM
What Ray says. Frustrating as it is,most of us have started out and then ended up upgrading all or most of our machines. You simply do not know what you need or can not afford to buy what you really want. You have to jump on the train somewhere. Also when people ask for advice we tell them to buy what we ended up with after 25 years,forgetting that it took 25 years to figure it out and then pay for it.:D My best advice would be get a cabinet saw for a tablesaw first. Then fill in with tools so you can work ,think critical mass or at least one way to accomplish most things,so you can actually make projects with wood. Worry about the upgrades later as you need them. A jointer is meant to do the face of a board and then the edge to give you a flat surface and a square edge. This is where the 6'' is marginal because you can only flatten to 6''. I would still purchase a 6'' to start because it is still better than no jointer and far easier to find than a 8'' model. It will be fine for edge work and flattening boards up to 6''.