PDA

View Full Version : My last batch of pens for a while! Unique Wood inside!

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-12-2005, 4:29 PM
Well, now that I have bored you to death with pen pictures, here is the last batch to share for a while. The colored pens are spalted hackberry that I stabilized myself with Minwax Wood Hardener and Transtint dye. The non-colored pen on the left if Tigerwood and the one on the right is spalted pecan.

I have a potential client I am hoping to build a new home for that loves pink so I made the pink spalted hackberry for her. My spalted pecan material I am selling I get from her husband so the pecanis for him with his wood.

The blueish one is spalted hackberry with a tigerwood centerband instead of the stock one with the slimline kit. I think it would have looked better with it being a little narrower but it was my first attemp at modifying a kit. It came out perfect as far as the fit goes. Obviously I made the centerband and barrel larger than the normal slimline just to make it different.

Thanks for looking!

Blake McCully
12-12-2005, 6:09 PM
Uh oh, making your own centerbands. Now you've gone and done it. Super. The slim line kit is absolutely wonderful for this type of venture. Keep at it and you can really explore your turning ability and come up with some really neat stuff.

Have you stopped in at the Freedom Pen Project here at the Creek? If not, give it a look. Those folks are doing some terrific work for a great cause.

Joe Tonich
12-12-2005, 6:58 PM
I like the one ya made the centerband best! :D Well done!!

The rest aren't anything to sneeze at either............:D :D

Good job!!

Joe

John Hart
12-12-2005, 7:20 PM
I read your post before I looked at the pics Curtis and I thought "Pink?...Yuk!!!" But then when I looked at it, I thought it looked quite nice! Cool Pens all. Striking colors.:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-12-2005, 7:35 PM
Those are very nice pens Curtis, and I don't get tired of looking at them especially when someone branches out with something a little different like the coloring.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
12-12-2005, 7:44 PM
All very nice! Whenever I get around to turning a few pens, I chunk the center band and do something different. I like the one you came up with, very cool!:)