PDA

View Full Version : The History of Grizzly - Video

Shiraz Balolia
06-28-2019, 4:09 PM
For those of you that wondered how it all began and how Grizzly grew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBQk1WmXpm4

Lisa Starr
06-28-2019, 7:08 PM
Interesting. As a small business owner, I appreciate the work and dedication it took to build Grizzly to what it is today.

Robert Hayward
06-28-2019, 7:19 PM
Excellent video, I enjoyed watching it.

Frederick Skelly
06-28-2019, 7:27 PM
That was neat. It's always great to see someone start from almost nothing and succeed as you have!
Good for you!

Bryan Lisowski
06-28-2019, 8:20 PM
That was a very interesting video, thanks for taking the time to do and share with us.

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2019, 8:40 PM
Excellent video and an awesome story! Thank you Shiraz for sharing.

David Powell
06-28-2019, 8:49 PM
Enjoyed the story. Thanks Shiraz.

Bruce Page
06-28-2019, 9:30 PM
A great story Shiraz. I visited your Springfield showroom a few years ago and was highly impressed.

Andrew More
06-28-2019, 10:52 PM
If I say something nice in this thread, can I get massive discount? :)

Jebediah Eckert
06-29-2019, 12:32 AM
Great story!

“He found him in Mombassa
In a bar room drinkin' Gin”

-Warren Zevon

Dan Friedrichs
06-29-2019, 8:24 AM
What an impressive story! Thanks for creating that video and sharing.

Eric Danstrom
06-29-2019, 1:31 PM
Great video! "Hippy machine, he had a bad back, six more dollars than I had that morning". I found your story inspiring and fascinating..

I love all the stuff on your desk. Behind your phone and next the paper roll adding machine is a yellow box with keys and a joy stick. What is it?

Clark Hussey
06-29-2019, 2:08 PM
Just bought my first Grizzly product. A G0513X2 bandsaw. Thinking that Grizzly was going to be my choice for future equipment purchases. Unfortunately when I went to put the guide rails on the table I discovered that the holes to attach them to had not been threaded. I called Grizzly and spoke to a Tech Support person named Sam. Sam was very thorough and knowledgeable. He told me he would send the request up to management (I did ask for some form of compensation for my troubles. As a business person I always stand behind my product. Not only do I resolve the problem I also offer a discount on a future purchase. I figured they would send out a new table top, which was ok by me. Imagine my surprise when all they would do is send out a tap, that I would have to tap the holes with. And no type of compensation. If shipping wasn’t such an expense I would have returned the saw. With no form of compensation. Shiraz, congratulations on your company’s growth. Unfortunately this is one customer who will not be coming back to you.

Frederick Skelly
06-29-2019, 3:14 PM
Unfortunately when I went to put the guide rails on the table I discovered that the holes to attach them to had not been threaded.

If the table was undamaged and all it needed was to have the holes threaded, IMO it's excessive to expect a new top and compensation. Sending a tap and cutting oil doesn't seem unfair - we are talking a few minutes' work. I might throw in a 10% off coupon for goodwill.

Jebediah Eckert
06-29-2019, 3:30 PM
If the table was undamaged and all it needed was to have the holes threaded, IMO it's excessive to expect a new top and compensation. Sending a tap and cutting oil doesn't seem unfair - we are talking a few minutes' work. I might throw in a 10% off coupon for goodwill.

+1. I have had nothing but good service from them. They usually go above and beyond. Although frustrating having things not right when you are assembling a new machine there are stories from every single brand on here if you look. I think what Grizzly did for the problem was fine.

I am impressed it took almost 24 hours for the first person to try and turn this thread into a complaint session.

You could have easily private messaged him the complaint if you wanted him to hear it, but you obviously wanted future potential customers to see it.

Clark Hussey
06-29-2019, 3:49 PM
+1. I have had nothing but good service from them. They usually go above and beyond. Although frustrating having things not right when you are assembling a new machine there are stories from every single brand on here if you look. I think what Grizzly did for the problem was fine.

I am impressed it took almost 24 hours for the first person to try and turn this thread into a complaint session.

You could have easily private messaged him the complaint if you wanted him to hear it, but you obviously wanted future potential customers to see it.

After watching his video and the company not living up to his standards. I felt it was necessary to post it publicly. Yes it is frustrating to receive substandard equipment.yes every other manufacturer has the same issues. My intention was not to turn this into a complaint session. You did by replying to my post instead of just letting it go. Now everyone will be jumping on.

Rick Potter
06-29-2019, 6:44 PM
Thanks Shiraz,

It is always great to see confirmation that the American Dream is still alive for those willing and able to pursue it.

Bill Space
06-29-2019, 9:47 PM
After watching his video and the company not living up to his standards. I felt it was necessary to post it publicly. Yes it is frustrating to receive substandard equipment.yes every other manufacturer has the same issues. My intention was not to turn this into a complaint session. You did by replying to my post instead of just letting it go. Now everyone will be jumping on.

It is a shame they did not offer a complete refund and tell you to keep the saw as well, is it not?

Things happen. Tapping a couple pre-drilled holes should take less than five minutes. I have run into a similar thing with a replacement part for my Kubota tractor. Required tapping a predrilled hole similar to your situation. No big deal. I already had the tap.

You should, in my opinion, focus on the value of the tool you purchased for a reasonable price, rather than the slight inconvenience of tapping those holes. Do you really think their solution was completely unreasonable? Would you have rather gone to the trouble of returning the defective part for replacement, or shipping the the item back for a refund? Rather than take five minutes to resolve the issue?

Mike Kees
06-29-2019, 10:53 PM
Shiraz,I bought a Go442 cyclone dust collector from Grizzly about 4 years ago. I live in Alberta but am only about one hour from the border so shipped to a facility there and picked it up myself. the box my filters were in got smashed slightly by a forklift. When I assembled it ,I had to take apart the filter and use a rubber mallet to beat out a dent. The filter itself was fine. I put it all together and have used it ever since. Thanks for a great product . I will definitely buy other things from your company if /when I need them.

Derek Cohen
06-30-2019, 2:37 AM
Shiraz, many thanks for the video and story. I am always intrigued by the lives of others and the decisions they make (well, I am a shrink), but I had family that lived in the same rough area in Africa as you around the time your family moved. They were "neighbours" in Nairobi, Uganda and the '60s was the time of Idi Amin. It was not a good time for anyone of European and Indian heritage to be living in East Africa. Most left with the clothes on their backs and their resourcefulness. It is uplifting to hear your travels in life.

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

Gordon Stump
06-30-2019, 7:59 AM
Great video. Back in the 80's it was common knowledge that by saving literally hundreds of dollars on a Grizzly Import you often had to do some fine tuning or more. But it was worth it. Now a Grizzly Industrial Machine in many cases is more heavy duty and more professional than than established name brands that have shipped their manufacturing to South America and beyond. Thanks Mr Balolia.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Shiraz, thanks for sharing your story with us! It's great to see that one can still accomplish the American dream in this day and age. IIRC, you sir have gained a lot more skill on the gun range too!

In my shop I have Ridgid, Jet, Excalibur, Mini-Max, Powermatic and Grizzly tools. Two of my most used tools are my Grizzly jointer and sander. They are a lot of value for the price! Seriously, as a hobbyist, I am not sure I could justify being a woodworker if I had to pay the price of Powermatic or Mini-Max for all of my power tools. Thanks for providing tools that are a lot of bang for the buck!

Mike Cutler
06-30-2019, 7:08 PM
Nice video. I actually did not think I would watch the entire video, but I did.
I liked the part about delivering a machine and when he got there the customer told him he had a bad back, and couldn't help. That was beautiful. Kinda like Craigslist these days. Drive two hours and then find out you have move it yourself. ;)

Rod Sheridan
07-01-2019, 8:20 AM
Very nice video, thanks for taking the time to make and share it with us......Rod

Keith Outten
07-01-2019, 9:24 AM
I have one of the very first Grizzly wood planers. No doubt Shiraz shipped it to me himself since he was a one man business in those days. At the time it was half the price of a Delta planer and I was surprised when I saw the price in a magazine. My planer has seen near commercial use since I purchased it back in the day. I operated a small wood drying kiln for many years and every load of wood was sent though my planer before being sold to local woodworkers.

The list of machines that I have purchased from Grizzly is very long, both woodworking and metalworking machines. Grizzly has always provided a great value and I can honestly say that without Grizzly I would never have been a a woodworker and eventually own my own sign making business. Who would have ever thought in the 1980's when I purchased my planer that in 2003 I would start a woodworking forum and Grizzly would be a major Sponsor. In a round about way my Grizzly planer has much to do with the existence of SawMill Creek.

Thanks Shiraz

michael langman
07-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Shiraz, You have done what most people could only dream of, and with pose and good character. Our country could use a lot more people like you.

Thanks for supporting the Creek, in more ways then one.

Dave Cav
07-01-2019, 1:17 PM
Back in the late '80s my job took me to Bellingham several times a year and I made it a point to stop in at the original store almost every time. When they built the new headquarters and showroom it was an amazing upgrade.

Eric Danstrom
07-01-2019, 5:12 PM
Best fun fact: it all started with handguns at the shooting range. I understand these days he's a national class marksman.

Derek Meyer
07-01-2019, 7:24 PM
Thanks for the video, Shiraz. I am now planning to visit the Bellingham location the next time I am over that way.

Mike Hilden
07-03-2019, 12:56 AM
I found this video on YouTube through a recommendation. I enjoyed it and think you have done a great job. Thank you for sharing your story!

Mark Hecker
07-06-2019, 3:26 AM
For those of you that wondered how it all began and how Grizzly grew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBQk1WmXpm4

That was a great story, Shiraz. I live near your Bellingham warehouse and over the last several years have put together a nice shop of almost exclusively Grizzly tools. Love to deal with Jim and Smitty who have been always helpful and make me always feel welcome. Always recommend your tools to my friends who are just getting into woodworking. Always enjoy watching their expressions when we enter the warehouse to do some "looking around." I even wear my Grizzly.com sweatshirt and hat when I'm out and about(what % do you pay your marketing team?).
Congratulations for what you have accomplished and continued success.

Mark Hecker

Shiraz Balolia
07-06-2019, 9:53 AM
That was a great story, Shiraz. I live near your Bellingham warehouse and over the last several years have put together a nice shop of almost exclusively Grizzly tools. Love to deal with Jim and Smitty who have been always helpful and make me always feel welcome. Always recommend your tools to my friends who are just getting into woodworking. Always enjoy watching their expressions when we enter the warehouse to do some "looking around." I even wear my Grizzly.com sweatshirt and hat when I'm out and about(what % do you pay your marketing team?).
Congratulations for what you have accomplished and continued success.

Mark Hecker

Thank you everyone for your business and the great comments.

Mark - thank you for your loyalty - Smitty has been with me for around 35 years - he was working the old "Ice Box" showroom dressed like an Eskimo :). You should ask him about the good old days. Jim has also been with us for over 25 years. We have some very good people working for us.

The video has become very popular with over 25K views in just over a week - very happy with its reception.

Frederick Skelly
07-06-2019, 12:11 PM
The video has become very popular with over 25K views in just over a week - very happy with its reception.

No surprise there Shiraz. As someone said earlier - your success is proof that "the American Dream" is still possible. I posit that that's why your video is so popular.

[Full disclosure: I dont own any Grizzly equipment. I just respect and admire hard working people.]

Fred

Paul Haus
07-08-2019, 10:49 AM
I've been buying from Grizzly probably 30+ years. Bought my first house back in the mid 70's and found Grizzly when I wanted to do some remodeling a few years later. I had a Craftsman shaper at the time, but finding cutters (particularly carbide) locally was like trying to find hens teeth, same thing with metal lathe tooling. Most places checked other than Sears (which were only steel cutters) only wanted to deal volume, not wanting to deal with the onsie twosies a home owner wanted. I'd seen the Grizzly ads in the back of magazines and tried them. I now have well over 100-150+ shaper and router cutters along with multiple Grizzly and Shop Fox machines and I think I got good value for my $$. I've done that remodeling plus furniture restoration and repair and Grizzly machines and tooling has played a part in both endeavors. Now that I'm retiring, I expect to make more furniture and Grizzly will be part of these projects too.

Chuck Saunders
07-09-2019, 9:15 AM
Wonderful video Shiraz. Very informative and interesting. What impressed me most was that you told the story of how the company started and grew to it's present state and refrained from turning it into a "in your face commercial". I wish other companies could learn this technique. You told a great story.
Thank you
Chuck

Frank Necaise
07-14-2019, 1:25 PM
Shiraz thanks for sharing and making Grizzly such a great provider of equipment for people just like yourself and me looking for affordable quality tools that enable them to make incredible things.

Thanks,
Frank

Bill Dufour
07-14-2019, 6:32 PM
Seems like Grizzly started about the same time as Post Tool in Oakland California. post tools expanded into multiple stores but not mail order. They also sold more high name brand stuff as well as the Taiwan stuff. Not sure why they folded about 15 years ago. I believe the founder retired and it was sold to another tool company for a few years before it folded.
I have to say I hope Shiraz has made plans to keep it going after he retires.
It was sad to see Bill Harrah's world class car collection sold piecemeal because his heirs did not care. Harrah had more then enough money to give several tens of millions to keep the collection going. I understand Jay Leno has made arrangements to keep his car collection going after he passes.
Bil lD.

Kevin Beitz
07-15-2019, 8:40 PM
I have lots of Grizzly equipment. Both metal working and woodworking....
I was also an employee of Grizzly in the Pa. store. Boy do I miss it.
Sure was sad to see it close down. I live around lots of Amish. You
here them talking all the time about how much they miss the Muncy
store. We are all wishing you would come back... Very good tools for
the price. If I was younger I would open a Grizzly tool repair center.
I love working on all the Grizzly machines.