PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2005, 4:12 PM
I manage two websites - one for my business and one for my turning club - and both have the same web host. And that entity has chosen to shut down. So I need to find a new host. I recall that at one time HRO was considering offering this service, and that would have been great; but my assumption is that this would no longer be an option.

So. Who are you using and are you satisfied with them?

And.. How the heck does one switch an existing site from one host to another?

Scott Loven
12-12-2005, 4:57 PM
I have mine at godaddy.com. No problems in 4 years.
Scott

Travis Porter
12-12-2005, 5:01 PM
Can't recommend hosting sites, but to change sites, you move your content and reregister your DNS to point to your new provider.

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2005, 6:45 PM
I use BlueHost.com.....very good service, fair pricing and they rank in the top 10 web hosting services on the net. Excellent customer service as well. :D

Frank Hagan
12-13-2005, 1:52 AM
I use Dathorn.com, and have had great service and great uptime over the last 3 years. The owner is a little terse sometimes, but I'm not really looking for great social skills when it comes to a webhost ... I want reliability. And he is open about his faults ... his forums are open to all to read, so you get to see all the complaining by those that are unhappy (and there's always a few, but usually they come back after being disappointed elsewhere).

On transferring the entire site, there are some options. If your current account uses Cpanel, Dathorn can often transfer the site for a nominal charge (when I did mine, it was .50 each). The other option is to use SSH to get to the command prompt and wget the entire site ... you still have to format all the links and like that, but at least the pages and folders get transferred over. This is complicated if you have forums or other database type applications on the sites.

Vaughn McMillan
12-13-2005, 5:07 AM
I've got two sites hosted at 1 and 1 Internet at 1and1.com. They have a wide range of packages, their prices were hard to beat, and they seem to have robust facilities. Their "self help" portions of their website are not real helpful, but the times I've needed tech support to walk me through setting something up, I've gotten my questions answered fairly quickly... by someone whose spoken English was understandable, even when it was obvious "Trent" and "Becky" were on a different continent. ;)

- Vaughn

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-13-2005, 7:02 AM
Curious to me that they'd be 'Trent' and 'Becky' on the phone, but proud to be 'real name here' at the convenience store...

John Hart
12-13-2005, 7:08 AM
My brother is my host. He runs an ISP and wireless internet service for Southern Missouri....but he also does hosting nationwide. I am very satisfied with his service.

John Hart
12-13-2005, 7:10 AM
Oh...and switching is no big deal. Just a matter of punching in the right addresses to switch providers....And transferring the site to a new server. Takes a few minutes.

Jeff Sudmeier
12-13-2005, 8:30 AM
I also use godaddy.com. They have a solution for any size of hosting you need. I have about 10 friends that use them as well, all happy customers. Also, they are the cheapest I could find! :)

Jim Becker
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
I use myhosting.com and am very pleased with them. I have my adoption photo-site on their $4.95 Linux plan and plan on moving my Sawsndust site to the same plan as I have no need for "Windows" server support. Performance is very good.

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 1:22 PM
Thanks, guys. Guess it won't be the headache I imagined.

Larry James
12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
I had a web site on linksky.com for about 4 yrs. Basic package about 5-6 bucks a month. I would highly recommend LinkSky - well worth checking out. http://www.linksky.com