PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive Bowl

Wes Mitchell
06-27-2019, 5:43 PM
It's a slow day on the forums, so I thought I'd share a bowl I made from wood given to me by a fellow Creeker, Paul Williams. Paul cut up and helped me load a nice haul of wood that he'd recently cut down. He has a beautiful property with loads of trees. This was the first blank I'd roughed out and dried when I bought my new lathe in February, and I was finally able to finish it last week.

Rod Sheridan
06-28-2019, 8:56 AM
Very nice Wes.

It’s great to partner with someone and get some wood that would otherwise wasted.....Regards, Rod

Paul Williams
06-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Good looking bowl Wes. The color is a little lighter than I expected, but that might be due to the finish. I used BLO and shellac on the last Russian Olive I turned (from the same tree) and it was quite a bit darker. Will still be cutting trees in the winter, call me if you want more.

Jenny Trice
06-30-2019, 9:16 AM
Nice bowl. Here are a couple more from the same tree. It is fun to see what all comes out of one tree. Thanks for sharing Paul.

Paul Williams
06-30-2019, 4:25 PM
Both are nice. Good work Jenny. I really like the grain of the tall one with the finial.

Wes Mitchell
07-01-2019, 8:55 AM
Paul, I was surprised too. The only other piece that I had finished turned really dark with BLO. I only used sanding sealer and EEE Ultra Shine on this bowl.